Cold tempretures and speakers

m00n

Is cold weather bad for speakers... I realize in a house, they would most likely not get cold, but, where my theater is, it's not in the house. I just wanted to know how damaging cold weather is to them. And if so, at what temps does it start to get harmfull to them?

Thanks

hmm. just realized this should have gone in the tech questions not here in troubleshooting4.gif

Good guestion.

As a guess, I would say you shouldn't need to worry. I mean, I see electronics (camera gear) that is rated down to -40. Basically, I think it should be fine. However, I don't know if taking a system from -40 to a loud movie would be good for it, I DON'T know about that one.

Actually, I would be more worried about heat in the summer! That will break down glue, plastic, etc.

all of the polymeric components in a speaker have a *glass transition temperature* (aka GTT) which means that the polymeric goes from rubbery (compliant) to brittle (glass like) when the temperature is below the GGT for that material. For most polymerics that are designed for room temperature, the GTT is between 10-50F. Foam and rubber surrounds, plastic speaker baskets, poly cones can become extremely brittle if exposed to temperatures below the GTT. If the speaker is energized the polymerics will crack.

So you could damage the speaker playing it in the cold.

Outdoor drivers are designed with temperature extremes in mind.

----------------

On 10/12/2002 6:57:48 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

For cold weather playing of your speakers, I would suggest installing a manual choke on them!
9.gif

Once you have played them for a bit, and they have warmed up to operating tenperature, you can turn off the choke.
2.gif

----------------

Cute, Builder, cute! 2.gif

This is good information to know about the not playing them cold. Soon, it will not be a factor as I am beginning some phazes of my remodel now. Tomorrow I am taking about a huge window that was covered up my curtians on my back wall. Then I will be filling in with insulation and sheetrock.

Lots of things I have to do.14.gif

Where do you live ?

What are typical winter weather conditions in your area ?

Would it be possible to install a heater that could be set to keep the room temperature from dropping below perhaps 50 degrees Fahrenheit when noone was using it and which would also have enough capacity to warm the room to a comfortable level if turned on say 45 minutes prior to a listening session ?

It is an interesting question.

We know that speakers in automobiles are left out in the winter when temperatures get to whatever is out there. Maybe special materials are used. On the other hand, a lot of car speakers look really cheap. It is difficult to believe there is a cold weather performance spec.

During shipping of home speakers, they are in some unheated cargo compartment of the truck. If anything gets shipped into Chicago, Minneapolis, or farther north, in January, it is going to get chilled.

I wouldn't be surpized if the suspensions get stiffer when cold. On the other hand, I haven't heard of failures resulting from exposure to cold, outdoor temperatures.

Gil

lynnm, I actually do have a small wall heater in the theater now. but, the problem is, is that there is a huge opening to the another are of the building. I was thinking about hanging a tarp over the opening until I get the wall framed in and sheetrocked, and a door put in.

As far as car speakers go, I had not thought about that. But I would have to imagine they are built with materials that can withstand the cold.

I lost a pair of Forte' woofers to cold weather. The rubber surrounds developed a multitude of cracks across the 'U'. I've seen foam edge woofers develop one large crack around the entire perimeter. K33s hold up pretty good in a car.

hmm, I don't know what to say. car speakers get well below freezing point where I live (minneapolis mn), and speakers have been shipped to me in the winter before with no problems (when I took them out of the box they were very cold, but I blasted them right away anyhow, and no damage done). plllluuuuuuuussssss, alot of the commercial speakers the city uses are left outside the buildings here year round, and it often gets below zero.

John Warren said it best.

Now as for speakers I would not operate speakers under 10 Celcius and over 45 Celcius.The lower you go under 10 Celsius the worst will the foam/rubber sourround perform its duty.And this is paramount in subwoofers.

If you want to have sound(system)in a space where temperature varies and goes to extremes you should purchase speakers and gear designed for temperatura changes and large moisture variations.

If you dont your gear(and speakers)may not last too long before extensive damage is done.

Also when speakers are moved from a cold space(0-10 Celcius) to hot space(say 25 Celcius) you should wait a few hours before operating the equipement.Why,simple CONDENSATION.Condensation can ruin electronics and in the long run seriously damage speakers.

Yea moon where do you live beings your speakers are sitting outside LOL9.gif

I wouldnt keep them out in the cold, my magnet on the K-33-E i had in the shed frosted up big time, i had to slowly thaw the speaker out!

It looked like a chunk of beef that was in the freezer for 2 years!

That was 0 to -5 degree weather!

Regards Jim

Boa

I have a small wall heater out there now and it will heat the room. But I don't want to have to run it constantly if I don't have to. If I keep the room at least 60 degrees, will I be ok? I am not worried about condensation as it says very dry in the ht/garage as Boa put it. 2.gif

Oh one point I wanted to add. I agree with Ear on the condisation and I think you could damage it with out condisation if the woofer was frozen and then played at anything above a low volume. But the electrics part of it will work great cause electricity works best in cold conditions so maybe the rest of your system will be running at better than average.