Erse Pulse X Capacitors

Deang

14 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

And apparently, you have no sense of humor, so are in fact, boring.

Sorry about that, Jimbo; I missed it. You have to admit, it was a pretty terrible joke, so I should get a pass. And yes, a lot of the time I'm super-boring.

30 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

So Dean............did you listen to it.........or just disassemble it?  What did you think of the sound?

I can't tell any real difference between any of the entry level stuff. All of the inexpensive metallized stuff sounds the same to me - passable - but not something I would be willing to live with. The sound is just a little too clinical for my tastes. I will say that Daytons and Bennics sound nice in the Reference stuff, and they fit, which is kind of important. I find Heritage stuff with the bigger dedicated midrange horns to be much more sensitive to changes.

Keep in mind that I tore it down to substantiate their claims. Once I saw the quality of the film and sonic welding with no evidence soldering, I pushed them in the same category as the other stuff. So no, I didn't listen, no real need. Besides, work is piling up, and I mostly had to make an on the fly decision on whether or not to use them for a customer's build. 

23 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

Sorry about that, Jimbo; I missed it. You have to admit, it was a pretty terrible joke, so I should get a pass. And yes, a lot of the time I'm super-boring.

Dean and I have had many discussions around xovers and caps, so hopefully he got the joke/dig......

• Like 2

Dean. What would you recommend for my Klipsch H1 speakers
I can’t spend a ton on these but would like to hear a difference with what I put in the crossover as I’m not really hearing anything in what I installed in the crossover
And I don’t know how to test the old or new caps.

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

The oil cans that I removed look like new on the outside and I can hear the highs a tad more.

"Burn in".

I was once told by Richard Marsh that anything a capacitor is going to do, it's done doing within 10-20 hours.

This speaks to the issue of the self-healing property of metallized film. The film is normally made from recycled polypropylene pellets, and during manufacturing, the film has little pin holes in it (micro lesions). When voltage is applied, there is low level arcing because the metallized portion is exposed. The heat from the arching closes, or "clears the flaw" in the film. Basically, the capacitors are flawed before you even use them! This is why claims such as "virgin polypropylene film", and "defect free film" are a big deal to me -- normally only found in "better", and naturally more expensive capacitors. Film and Foil capacitors do not have this issue.

So, original Klipsch cans, or were these maybe recapped by Bob with the GE motor runs he used to use. Your claim of being able to hear the highs better is interesting -- because old capacitors normally kill high frequency energy. 

• Thanks 1