Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console

Emile

Emile, did you get the TT out yet?
I should have taken you up on your offer of the tuner and just taken it with me today
And once again thank you very much for the subs. It was a great day for the drive out to your house. Half way home I was kicking myself for not taking the parts that you had pulled out of the console

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Emile, did you get the TT out yet?
I should have taken you up on your offer of the tuner and just taken it with me today

Hi Carl, 

Yeah ... TT is out (and gone).  Put the amp on CraigsList (haha, for $10 instead of "free" - keeps the freeloaders away). Someone is picking it up tomorrow morning.

Have fun with the Pro speakers you picked up. :D 

Regards, Emile

• Like 1

Yeah ... ripped out the antique TT.  Should it would be easy to put in another one .. NAH :(  Have only 350mm of depth ... most TT's are deeper :(  Closest one I have found is a (decent but not great) Audio Technica SL120.  352mm deep ... but think I can take the "cover hinge brackets" off the back.  Anyone has one of these and is willing to measure the depth off the plinth?  Don't want to buy one and then have to return it :( 

Cheers, Emile

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, Emile said:

OK; continuing on this project ... yes, I'm crazy ... just like all of you Klipsch "nuts." Going to replace the tube amp with a vintage SS amp.  Have a spare Kenwood KR-4070, or can get a Yamaha CR-1040 (without a case) for cheap ($90) locally. Any thoughts?  Think (Haha) I can take out the old tube amp and use a piece of wood (no clue what type of wood) to put this Yamaha in.

Also got a set of RF-3 speakers from @falcon20x (thank you SIR for shipping these).  Have only 7 inches for these 8 inch woofers, so will have to "angle" these somehow.

Fun problems :D  Going to start the wine now :) 

Cheers, Emile

CBA0A565-E093-4A86-8482-FF0119206BBC.jpeg

Be sure to install a whisper fan for your Yamaha Receiver in order to draw air over its heat sinks....heat kills equipment.  So, it was just a mono receiver, or is it that the CONSOLE is just mono??

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Be sure to install a whisper fan for your Yamaha Receiver

Thanks @HDBRbuilder ... good idea ... but haven't gotten the receiver yet ... yikes; these CL people are just :( :( 

Console was a high fidelity stereo one. Haha ... pouring a glass of wine before I saw some speaker holes in it :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

OK; did not saw any holes for the speakers yet. Got RF-3's from a member but they were "crap." :(  @teaman is sending me another pair of SB-3's to try.  

But ... next problem :(  Thought it would be easy to put a TT in this thing :(  But have only 350mm of depth ... most TT's are 360+mm.  Any suggestions?

Haha; found an "Ion" turntable that will fit ... $50 retail ... don't even think I want to try that :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Did you sort your speaker configuration?

Hi YK; no, not yet :)  Cannot use the 8" RF3 woofer in the front motor board ... so; thought I would use the RF3 xovers (has Woofer "1" and "2") to put one 6.5" SB3 woofer and the RF3 horn "up front," and use the other RF3 woofer on the "bottom."  Maybe I'm crazy?  

Thanks, Emile

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

I have some 6.5 drivers and 8”. And some cone tweeters as well if that will help. Not Klipsch brands

Blasphemy :D  Just kidding Carl.  Got some 6.5 inch woofers coming from Teaman ... with the RF3 8 inch woofers, think I can try a "mix and match."  Thanks for your help :D 

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi YK; no, not yet :)  Cannot use the 8" RF3 woofer in the front motor board ... so; thought I would use the RF3 xovers (has Woofer "1" and "2") to put one 6.5" SB3 woofer and the RF3 horn "up front," and use the other RF3 woofer on the "bottom."  Maybe I'm crazy?  

Thanks, Emile

That may work fine. This is an experiment. Still like the idea of one larger down firing in the mix somehow, between the horn/ midrange side. I’m really hoping this project will work and sound nice.

• Thanks 1

Haha ... picking up a Marantz 1600 TT for this tomorrow.  Little problem ... it's a 1/4 inch too deep ... but the only "decent" TT I could find that would almost fit.  OK; have a table saw ... now what :D 

• Haha 1

router the back out, behind the phonograph slot ( to slide it in from the back ) unseen from the front, and make something like a shoebox lid, out of thinner matching wood to cover, perhaps a wiring channel across the whole backside - or just ask your better half if she doesn't mind this cool old vintage turntable sitting on top of the console ??? 

3 hours ago, windashine said:

router the back out, behind the phonograph slot ( to slide it in from the back ) unseen from the front, and make something like a shoebox lid, out of thinner matching wood to cover, perhaps a wiring channel across the whole backside - or just ask your better half if she doesn't mind this cool old vintage turntable sitting on top of the console ??? 

Haha ... was thinking about that :D  "Better half" has not seen it yet ... haha ... hoping I "will be allowed" to keep it :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Emile
Do you still need some drivers for your Consol project! I have some 8” and 6.5 and 1” drivers

Carl,

Thanks a lot ... but I should have enough ... actually more than I need :D

Regards, Emile

OK ... bought a turntable for this console ... Marantz 6100. Yes, know it is not up to some of your hi-fi standards, but it sounded pretty good when I used my Ortophone Red cartridge on it. :D  Haha ... just one little problem ... it is 2mm too "deep."  So; have to saw about 1/4 inch off :D  (And this was the "smallest" -depth wise - decent table I could find.) The story continues :(  Jeez ... my wife is going to kill me when she gets home after her 1 week trip and finds all this stuff :D 

https://images.offerup.com/SrPyLtqlSlF3uJpj0P_Abswo2E8=/600x800/5223/52233f59c2c6485ca6c48751466deb7a.jpg

• Like 1