How Satisfied Are You With Your Multi-channel equipment (POLL)

wvu80

How Satisfied Are You With Your HT Equipment  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How Satisfied Are You with Your Klipsch Multi-Speaker Setup for the next year?

• I am very satisfied. I don't have any plans to change.
    • I am somewhat satisfied. I like what I have but I'd like to change to another speaker. (bookshelves to floorstanders, surrounds, etc)
    • I am somewhat satisfied. I like what I have but I'd like to add more speakers.
    • My speakers are OK but I'm not making any changes.
    • I'm not satisifed and I'd like to make some changes.
    • I don't have a multi-speaker setup and I don't want one
    • I don't have a multi-speaker setup and I would like one
    • Other
  2. 2. How Satisifed Are you with your AVR for the next year?

• I am very satisfied with my AVR. I don't have any plans to change.
    • I am somewhat satisfied with my AVR. I like what I have but I'd like to upgrade.
    • My AVR is OK but I'm not making any changes.
    • I'm not satisifed and I'd like to upgrade my AVR.
    • I'm not satisfied and I'd like to add an external amp.
    • I'm satisfied with my AVR and I'd like to add an external amp.
    • I don't have an AVR and I don't want one.
    • I don't have an AVR but I would like to add one
    • Other
  3. 3. Why would you change to a different AVR?

• I want more power
    • I want newer features (HDMI, codecs, Atmos, voice control options like Alexa, etc)
    • I don't want a different AVR
    • Other

We have the Library Home Theater below optimized for a Dolby PLIIz 9.2 set up and the only way it could possibly get better is if I add 2 more speakers above and convert the Height channel to make 4 Atmos then it would seem hard to "upgrade" from that. :) Btw, all of you that said you would upgrade your AVR because you wanted more power--I would be curious why you felt the need? 

I didn't vote.  wvu80's poll looks to be targeting "canned" home theater setups--the type that Klipsch sells in multi-box packages.  As such, the above poll really has no way to input the type of surround sound setup that I presently own and that which I'm moving toward.

For instance, I don't use an AVR (receiver), rather I use an AVP (i.e., preamp/processor) with separate DSP crossovers and power amplifiers in a 5.1.  The loudspeakers are left/right Jubilees/4002s, a center K-402-MEH, surrounding Cornwalls, and DIY tapped horn subs behind Jubs.  All are equalized to within 1.5 dB @1 metre flatness throughout their pass-bands using REW and the DSP crossovers (and there are other loudspeaker setup software/firmware choices out there that can be used--like Acourate, and Dirac, etc.).  My setup is actually optimized to play reference music that includes multichannel classical Blu-Ray discs, and also more popular music artists on Blu-Ray and DVD.  I have no real use for extra channels beyond 5.1 since that is the format of multichannel music performance discs.  "3D" video and add-on audio height channels used for movies have little attractiveness--but take up space and resources.

My longer term goal is to replace the different loudspeaker types with one loudspeaker type: i.e., five DIY multiple-entry horns of the K-402-MEH type.  The reason for this is surround sound performance to play the highest quality audio recordings that I own--5.1 music discs, mostly on Blu-Ray discs, and also stereo recordings of the highest quality, (i.e., two for one).  Movies are also superb on the same setup. There is no need for two setups in the house--so all resources are dedicated to one DIY system. That holds costs about the same as the retail price of the better Klipsch multichannel setups...but with much higher performance.

YMMV.

Chris

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I didn't vote.  wvu80's poll looks to be targeting "canned" home theater setups--the type that Klipsch sells in multi-box packages.  As such, the above poll really has no way to input the type of surround sound setup that I presently own and that which I'm moving toward.

I had to chuckle at this response but don't poopoo the sound that some of us are getting out of our "Multi-box packages" and AVRs. :) I took the poll with no apologies. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I had to chuckle at this response but don't poopoo the sound that some of us are getting out of our "Multi-box packages" and AVRs. :)

My abode is available for listening in west Arlington.  I just had Lance (Bushikan) over for a listen on Thursday. He's an interesting guy. 

You live in the Fort Worth area, right?  Perhaps you could issue an invite?  I'll bring the peanuts...:emotion-21: 

Chris

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

No problem that you didn't vote although upon further reading, there were some options that fit the description of what you have and what your plans are.  "Don't have an AVR, don't want one" and "somewhat satisfied with current speakers but want to change to a different type..."  B)

I didn't mean to be targeting "canned" HT setups.  In fact I was trying NOT to do that but as I was composing questions it was hard to make it open ended and I tried hard to avoid the term "home theater."  I have an AVR with a 5.1 setup but it's in my living room for TV, I don't have a home theater.

I also tried to avoid traditional 5.1 setups vs Atmos as the only multi-speaker choices. 

What prompted my poll was me fiddling around with my Marantz SR6011 options.  It can process 11 channels but only has amps for nine.  In addition it has something called Neural:X and gives me options for 2, 4 and 6 ceiling speakers, none of which are Atmos.  It can also process front or center or rear heights, again NOT Atmos! 

Even though I am satisfied with my 5.1 I started adding speakers just because I could, and I have to admit I'm impressed with the sound from new speaker options a few weeks ago I didn't even know I had.

I'm most interested in what you "out of the box" thinkers are doing with your setups.  The number of options available that I DIDN'T know about boggles my mind!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm most interested in what you "out of the box" thinkers are doing with your setups. 

I kind of figured that, but took the time nevertheless to discuss an AVP instead for multichannel operation (like TotalComfort also implied), a configuration that I've been using for the past 11 years.  Having a separate DSP crossover and amplifiers provides significant advantages and flexibilities. 

Up until the latest update to center compression driver (a dual-diaphragm BMS 4592ND), I needed only one DSP crossover (a Xilica XP-8080) for the entire setup, bi-amping the front three and EQing the surrounds. [EDIT: And the overall cost of using a separate DSP crossover and separate amplifiers in my setup is nowhere near $5K (as was suggested for a new preamp above)...more like $1.5 with pre-owned rack mount Crown D-75A amplifiers and balanced connections to reject common mode noise.  Then if any amplifier fails, the cost to repair or replace is usually less than $100.]

Chris

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion.  AVP vs Multichannel are just two different ways to audio nirvana.  Music vs movies, no different, it depends on what the individual is looking for, accomodate, practical and fitting for the listening environment.  All of us are truly looking for something to our liking. I've experienced various setup and liked most of them because they were tailored to the environment/room or use(HT vs Music).

I just got back off vacation and the resort had a very nice small HT, 80 in. 4K TV, and surround system with one subwoofer.  For  movies, this was great.  The rows of chair and lack of a multipurpose floor did not lend itself to music and entertaining.  This is not a negative of the system but, it was not a multipurpose room or design for music.  The recliner chairs is something I wish I had but, would certainly not fit my environment.

Utopia is all in the eye of the user, desaire, and goal of each one  of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am very satisfied with my gear. No plans to change anythings. 

I asked Mr. Google should I changed the system and he said sorry I don't understand, lol.

Image result for google gif

That's because you went digital.  You should have gone analog and asked the Magic 8-Ball.  :tongue:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

My abode is available for listening in west Arlington.  I just had Lance (Bushikan) over for a listen on Thursday. He's an interesting guy. 

You live in the Fort Worth area, right?  Perhaps you could issue an invite?  I'll bring the peanuts...:emotion-21: 

Chris

Thanks for the invite Chris--I may take you up on it because I have heard your system is legendary and would glad be glad to have you over, but feel mine wouldn't compare---Anybody else would be ecstatic with what I have but am sure you could find some faults.  :) What I found humor in was that alot of us have nice Home Theaters we enjoy and I may have mistakenly read into your words that you considered what most of us were running were " Home Theaters in a Box."

19 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

What I found humor in was that alot of us have nice Home Theaters we enjoy and

I may have mistakenly read into your words that you considered what most of us were running were " Home Theaters in a Box."

Chris can answer for himself, but thought his comment reflected the vague way I worded the poll questions.  I was trying to make concise questions but sometimes too concise can be too narrow.

In re-reading the headline, I asked how satisfied are you with your KLIPSCH multi-speaker setup.  I was trying to include Klipsch speakers and not include your DIY speakers (like I have) or your Bose (like I have) or your JBL's.

I don't have any JBL's.  B)

34 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

This is a great topic but, what percentage of the overall experience is related to the visual portion of what you are watching or listening to?  How much should we spend on the visual portion should we allocate to the budget? 

Derrick's comments are great as well and just what I had hoped when I posted the poll.  I wanted to get a snapshot of forum members opinions on "other than  2-channel" equipment and open up the discussion to all ideas.  Visual information influences our auditory impressions and leads to the overall satisfaction of our audio setups.

15 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

This is a great topic but, what percentage of the overall experience is related to the visual portion of what you are watching or listening to?  How much should we spend on the visual portion should we allocate to the budget?

Oh, yeah--Budget. :) And don't forget that the room also can limit Home Theater setups. If I were to "upgrade" it would have to be the electronics because I have no more room for speakers, although I did have a 65"" RP before we got the 55" and will again, when budget allows. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

Chris

I'd be down for a listening session if I ever have the free time when I'm up in the area. Then you can school me on all the possibilities I do not know of regarding audio gear and setup.