Strong Rhetoric on China

Jeff Matthews

I'll be glad to help.  I will solicit multiple attempts at collusion, from multiple sources---Russians, Israelis, whoever steps up---but never go through with any of it that can be proven wink wink.  In return just funnel money into my secret foreign account.  It won't even be your money.  Nazi gold, Chinese gold, it's all acceptable.

Evidently the effects of global warming is of no consideration in this environmental quarrel? If the science is correct our weather will continue to greater extremes in a very short time frame. Perhaps some enterprising company will field the technology to help manage greenhouse gasses and mitigate these dire predictions. But as it stands the planet is experiencing record heat and cold and more frequent and aggressive storms. Again the wealthy stand to survive.......... the near term.  But with no change in the course of pollution the long term could get ugly. We need a pandemic or a meteor/comet to cull the populace ASAP.

It is considered among those who would consider it.  Somehow the issue now is "mob rule" which is ludicrous when those who cry mob rule are the ones in power and ruling.  Dogmatists insist on the "invisible hand" without regard to human nature, which has shown to be in need of boundaries.  We did have a global warming thread a while back before you arrived.  It became mired in politics and dogma and misinformation, including quoting the dubious presentation by Lamar Alexander, who naturally is funded by the petroleum industry.  Supposedly, this thread is about human rights in China, or the lack thereof.  Of  course we digress as jeff and I are wont to do.  I suggest you start a separate thread about climate crisis, and we can discuss whether it is wise to have children to face it or not.  Oh wait.  We will be forced to have children.  At least those who are too poor to travel to another country.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I disagree.  The planet is full of resources, enough for everyone and then, some.  It's a matter of how we use them.  If you allow market forces to do their job, supplies will remain ample.  Go take a drive through the grassy plains of the Southwestern US.  It's huge out there! 

We don't pay for water, per se, for water to homes.

If you are in the Hill Country and have a well then you don't even pay for delivery.

There are no market forces on water, currently.  

T. Boon is buying up all of the water in OK and TX, there will come a day when market forces start coming into play, and he is banking on eminent domain giving him, or his heirs, a major payday.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Its price will reflect the value we place on other, competing activities.  This is nothing new.  Bottled water is already more expensive than gas.  People seem to be okay with it.

How many people do you know who bathe with bottled water?

How much is your water bill in Houston?

I think it is $40 for 1st 10000 gallons in Austin.

How much is a bottle of water at an airport, concert, or movie theater?  4.00 a pint?  

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I just paid a little over $2 for 3 gallons of bottled water.  How much do you pay for gas?

I pay about a penny for same. I get it from the tap, which is the same place most of the bottled stuff comes from. Perfectly happy with it.

Dave

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I pay about a penny for same. I get it from the tap, which is the same place most of the bottled stuff comes from. Perfectly happy with it.

Dave

When I'm at work in the city I trust the tap water but not where I live--Chlorine smell bugs me and I don't trust they check as closely as they should....That said, it's not to the level of if I lived in china would I be in more danger of drinking the water. {{Note: Btw, anyone see that another Foreign Policy Official is stepping down? Regardless what we are allowed to talk about, it IS a major part of the equation along with global sentiment when it comes to China Policy and wanted outcome insofar as human rights are concerned--Just sayin'. 

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Regardless what we are allowed to talk about, it IS a major part of the equation along with global sentiment when it comes to China Policy and wanted outcome insofar as human rights are concerned--Just sayin'. 

Do you think her resignation is a good or bad thing? 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Do you think her resignation is a good or bad thing? 

I dunno. I wonder why she is doing it given it is such a high profile position and the rest of the world is looking for continuity in our Foreign Policy. It has changed considerably  in the last 2 years and now once again is changing within this administration. Keep in mind we lost a Secretary of State not too long ago.  

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

There you go!  Plenty to waste.  

Can you waste water?  It cycles back sooner or later.

It is only a problem when it is in short supply in an area and everyone wants to keep their lawns green, swimming pools full, and a pristine golf course.