Bohemian Rhapsody

thebes

On 10/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

It seems many biographies on great musicians and artists share so much of their dark sides that it makes it hard to consider them heroes anymore.  I wouldn't expect this one to be any different.

I dont consider musicians heros but I do certainly admire and respect them. Just like all of us they have issues and a dark side. Same with ball players. I would choose never to meet my favorites. I dont expect them to be choir boys but I would still be disapointed to discover that they are ****** bags

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

A singer or politician can do heroic things but aren't heroes by virtue of their vocation even if they're really good at it.

I remember when folks were arguing if a POW who served this country in government could be considered a hero for anything he did--What was astonishing was that some didn't seem to respect him because he was shot down by the enemy--Crazy.

5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

No, but being respected as one of the top in your field and motivating others to be the best they can be does garner respect, and to some it makes them a "hero."

How did he motivate others to be the best they can be?  

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

How did he motivate others to be the best they can be?  

I am sure other musicians and song writers looked up to him, and his music still inspire others as I've pointed out in the sports arena. My all time hero is Vincent Van Gogh and his life has been an inspiration to me and some could argue he was "just a painter."

There is no requirement that a hero be generous or a good samaritan.  That's simply an attempt to spin a requirement into the meaning of a word which has a well-settled definition.  If you could never recognize an artist as a hero solely based on his or her art, that's a personal thing.  It doesn't change the definition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

So admiration is now heroic?

It can be if they hold him on a pedestal and he inspires them to be better at what they do. People who inspire great numbers of people doing positive things can be considered heroes...That said, it is subjective and if you can think of someone who is worthy of being called a hero in the sports or entertainment world I would be curious who you'd think that would be? I told you the my hero is Vincent Van Gogh. :) 

12 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

It can be if they hold him on a pedestal and he inspires them to be better at what they do. People who inspire great numbers of people doing positive things can be considered heroes...That said, it is subjective and if you can think of someone who is worthy of being called a hero in the sports or entertainment world I would be curious who you'd think that would be? I told you the my hero is Vincent Van Gogh. :) 

I posted an example on the first page of this thread.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, CECAA850 said:

Great talent and voice don't garner the hero designation.  Playing football won't get you thst either unless you're someone like JJ Watt who has helped countless families after a natural disaster.  If Freddie was a great humanitarian and I'm not aware of it than I'll change my opinion of him. 

I admit to not knowing who JJ Watt is. I'll look into it but it appears you are ready to concede that Freddie Mercury could be as well so that was the point I was making. Not everyone is a hero to everyone else.

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

I admit to not knowing who JJ Watt is. I'll look into it but it appears you are ready to concede that Freddie Mercury could be as well so that was the point I was making. Not everyone is a hero to everyone else.

You haven't come close to convincing me that he's garnered hero status.  He was an incredible artist, had a phenomenal voice and I really enjoy his music but he doesn't qualify as a hero.

He's a good guy. Probably the best at his position on the field. Does a lot of charity work. Came up with 10s of millions of dollars for Harvey relief. Never any controversy. His favorite time of the year is Halloween. He will be out there with all the neighborhood kids, dressed up, having fun. 

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

You haven't come close to convincing me that he's garnered hero status.

That really wasn't what I was trying to do. Like I said, you are welcome to call hero whoever you want but there is already reason for Freddie Mercury to be called one even though he wasn't one of yours.

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

He's a good guy. Probably the best at his position on the field. Does a lot of charity work. Came up with 10s of millions of dollars for Harvey relief. Never any controversy. His favorite time of the year is Halloween. He will be out there with all the neighborhood kids, dressed up, having fun. 

He seems like a good guy but I don't follow football.

It appears that JJ Watt should be respected for what his charitable organizations does....That said, I know a several past POTUSA that could also fit that criteria so I also stand by what I said about elected officials can reach hero status as well.

Not his charitable organization, him personally.

Elected officials can certainly be classified as heroes depending on their body of work.  Just being an elected official doesn't make you a hero though.