$curious$

Bosco-d-gama

Getting older means healthcare issues. So on your behalf the insurance industry (whom you’ve supported for eons) is obligated to purchase you services. I worked in healthcare for decades so I know some things about it. Now I cringe.......... not at the procedures..........but their costs. I just received a benefit statement from bluecross for a very simple visit to my doctor. Went to my regular FP and got a steroid injection in my knee. His bill was $100, meds another $80 and the cost for a standard exam room was $450....... all of which they gladly paid. This time last year I discovered that I had atrial fibrillation. Long story short it was corrected with minimally invasive procedures that involved a single nights hospitalization. The bill......... a heart stopping $130,000.00!!! Next week I go in for a shoulder replacement cuz it needs to be done and economic sense commands it be done during this calendar year whence all of my deductible thresholds are met. I am more worried about the costs than anything else. This is madness. This is not the MAYO clinic or even a huge metropolis facility. Are medical costs in your area this insane? If so how can this be sustained by any country/economy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Getting older means healthcare issues. So on your behalf the insurance industry (whom you’ve supported for eons) is obligated to purchase you services. I worked in healthcare for decades so I know some things about it. Now I cringe.......... not at the procedures..........but their costs. I just received a benefit statement from bluecross for a very simple visit to my doctor. Went to my regular FP and got a steroid injection in my knee. His bill was $100, meds another $80 and the cost for a standard exam room was $450....... all of which they gladly paid. This time last year I discovered that I had atrial fibrillation. Long story short it was corrected with minimally invasive procedures that involved a single nights hospitalization. The bill......... a heart stopping $130,000.00!!! Next week I go in for a shoulder replacement cuz it needs to be done and economic sense commands it be done during this calendar year whence all of my deductible thresholds are met. I am more worried about the costs than anything else. This is madness. This is not the MAYO clinic or even a huge metropolis facility. Are medical costs in your area this insane? If so how can this be sustained by any country/economy?

Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies as well as politicians have colluded to get you to where we are now. The uninsured have little to do with overall cost. Go vote on Tuesday.

Keith

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Are medical costs in your area this insane? If so how can this be sustained by any country/economy?

I am not sure what you are getting at but Healthcare costs are a mystery to most and there is no rhyme or reason in deciphering them. 

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You're paying for those that don't have coverage as well as for yourself.   Yes, its high here too.

Yes and no. There are a lot of things related to Healthcare costs and what you seem to be hinting at is whether we should have a Universal Healthcare System or one for only those that can afford (or want) to pay for it....Without getting political it appears both sides now want "Pre-existing conditions covered," realize that they are right now under the ACA and there are those that want to charge more money for the protection--That's when the ACA no longer will be a cost-effective Universal Healthcare System and those that can't afford it will lose their benefits. 

3 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I was under the impression “Obamacare” was the answer to low cost, cover everybody, see your own doctor healthcare.

That train left the tracks long ago —

Honestly, there is so much more to it than that. The ACA was designed as a Universal Healthcare System and has been successful to the extent more people favor it now and are running on keeping the benefits. There are shortfalls that needed to be addressed, but instead they tried to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Thank god folks became interested in saving the Baby! :) Btw, this is the first year we didn't have to renegotiate our Insurance plan since the law got enacted. 

3 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I was under the impression “Obamacare” was the answer to low cost, cover everybody, see your own doctor healthcare.

That train left the tracks long ago —

"Insurance pooling is a practice wherein a group of small firms join together to secure better insurance rates and coverage plans by virtue of their  increased buying power as a block. This practice is primarily used for securing health and disability insurance coverage."

Keith 

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I wonder if The Wall would help lower overall healthcare expenses since we'd have fewer....  uh....  never mind.  Don't want to sound political...

Our people are some of the most unhealthiest in the world---Ironically, after watching PBS Frontline episode on Facebook on YouTube a video by RT (Russian based news organization that was one of the main culprits spreading "FakeNews" over last election) popped up that I KNEW was going to be used as propaganda abroad....Google "Sex and the Oil City," and be ready to see the USA at it's worst--The first thing I noticed was how unhealthy everyone looked. 😒

Generally as you get older the need for healthcare increases. When you get there you will have the option to buy insurance in a "High Risk Pool" (death panel). The only problem is that most will be unable to afford this high risk insurance.

Go vote on Tuesday.

Keith

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You're paying for those that don't have coverage as well as for yourself.   Yes, its high here too.

Btw, if you live in Texas and want to get your costs down protecting these people consider voting for candidates that support Medicaid expansion. Not having that is what adds to our costs here.

3 minutes ago, T2K said:

The only problem is that most will be unable to afford this high risk insurance.

Most people under corporate plans didn't  realize the state of our Healthcare system except their employers by the time the 2008 CDS Crisis hit....Afterward if things weren't solidified MANY more Americans would've been without coverage or ability to pay by the time the bill got enacted and our family was one of them. THAT is why I engage in these discussions.

The perfect storm. No pensions, low wages, reduced Social Security, unaffordable healthcare and work until you're 70.

Go to the magic box in your neighborhood on Tuesday and change your future. Or suffer the consequences.

Keith

Relatively speaking the procedures/care that accumulated those enormous costs were petty, as in - not at all serious. The itemized bills indicated that most of the costs were charged by the facility....... not the providers. Additionally I am in excellent health. A never smoker, don’t drink and I do live a healthy lifestyle, not overweight, exercise regularly. As I look around at much of the population I see some tough times ahead for many. IMHO a country whose citizens do their utmost to be healthy probably could afford medical care for all. As it stands......... healthcare is a mess just waiting to implode.

20 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Honestly, there is so much more to it than that. The ACA was designed as a Universal Healthcare System and has been successful to the extent more people favor it now and are running on keeping the benefits. There are shortfalls that needed to be addressed, but instead they tried to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Thank god folks became interested in saving the Baby! :) Btw, this is the first year we didn't have to renegotiate our Insurance plan since the law got enacted. 

=== and there well may be more to it, probably much more. And I have done little research. What I do know and did experience was upon retirement and looking for acceptable insurance was within a couple weeks of speaking with an agent with BCBS they pulled out of the state, leaving Zero, No health insurance being written in the state. Huh? Went to an independent agent who not only confirmed this but was highly critical of “Obamacare” and what it had done to rising costs and companies exiting the market. I was lucky my wife was still working and used her COBRA option, a far better deal than in past years.