Downloading Audio files ... Quality?

Emile

Sure some of you can chime in to set me on the correct path :D 

Downloaded some video/audio files from YouTube and some other sources and compared them to original CD's.  HORRIBLE :(  Lack of highs/lows, no definition, no brilliance, etc.  

Where to go; what to do????

Thanks, Emile

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Downloaded some video/audio files from YouTube and some other sources and compared them to original CD's.  HORRIBLE :(  Lack of highs/lows, no definition, no brilliance, etc.  

Thanks, Emile

When you pull songs off the Internet, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! 😉

Sometimes great, sometimes lousy!

John Kuthe...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Thanks, Emile

The easiest way is to buy them directly online from either the Apple Store, or Amazon.  You pay, instant download, and start enjoying your music immediately.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

The easiest way is to buy them directly online from either the Apple Store, or Amazon.  You pay, instant download, and start enjoying your music immediately.

I BUY iNothing!!

I rip as MP3s or nothing!

And Jeff Bezos can go fly his Amazon KITE!

John Kuthe...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, JohnKuthe said:

I BUY iNothing!!

I rip as MP3s or nothing!

And Jeff Bezos can go fly his Amazon KITE!

John Kuthe...

That will make sure that the musicians stay in business, too.  Ninja-Gone.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

That will make sure that the musicians stay in business, too.  Ninja-Gone.gif

Absolutely! Like Jill Sobule! She puts a great deal of her stuff out on the Internet! Here's THE FIRST SONG I ever DLed:

Late 1990's!

John Kuthe...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Absolutely! Like Jill Sobule! She puts a great deal of her stuff out on the Internet! Here's THE FIRST SONG I ever DLed:

Late 1990's!

John Kuthe...

Okay, if you want to go this direction, I'm game~!

That should get you started, JK!

• Like 2

Not really sure what your trying achieve!? Free music?  But Qobuz offer streaming and download.  On a rolling contract for streaming that can be stopped anytime. And then download the tracks you really love. If not try sound cloud. Or the same could be done with Spotify. Listen to discovery playlist and the download cd/hi res files for keeping 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can usually hear errors in 256k MP3s riding my motorcycle.  At 320k they are pretty good esp. with a good A/D engine.  But they will never sound great.  Phase info (I think) is lost.  "Blackwater" is a good example.  The spacial positioning of their voices is completely lost.

• Like 1

I use 128k mp3s for the bike.  Plenty good sound quality for the environment.  As well for the jam box at work.  Most times the fact that there is music at all solidly trumps any technicalities about it.  In the house, however CD quality is the preference.  If space / bandwidth is a concern then flac to the rescue.  Higher sample rates and bit depths might in some cases have an audible difference, but I've never been able to detect, much less appreciate, them in any of the samples I've encountered.  The mix/mastering is the larger limitation to good sound quality.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glens said:

I use 128k mp3s for the bike.  Plenty good sound quality for the environment.  As well for the jam box at work.  Most times the fact that there is music at all solidly trumps any technicalities about it.  In the house, however CD quality is the preference.  If space / bandwidth is a concern then flac to the rescue.  Higher sample rates and bit depths might in some cases have an audible difference, but I've never been able to detect, much less appreciate, them in any of the samples I've encountered.  The mix/mastering is the larger limitation to good sound quality.

I'm pretty sure I use and put up with 128k MP3s, and it was really cool about 15 to 20 years ago when a kayaking buddy of mine and I were driving from MO to PA for a weekend whitewater kayaking trip! (Yes I used to do this!) and her brought his CD collection and proudly showed it to me! I had just gotten a nice Alpine system in my 1994 Caravan and I told him cool, let's let my disc run out and then we will choose something from your CD collection!

Little did he know that I had a burned MP3 CD of about 15 standard CDs of music on ONE DISC! :-) Good thing was we both like great music! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 1