Cornwall IV

tipatina

On 9/9/2019 at 12:42 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

Not the impression I got from Roy when it was first introduced 🙂

Impressions to the contrary, I have been building bass reflex speakers since 1967, from ignorant to intelligent via the experiences. I'm not denying that flared ports are better than non-flared, but it's only a slight TWEAK of performance, and NOT the majority of it. This is the ONLY thing I have maintained in my posts all along. I'd rather go after the "dollar's worth of difference" rather than the dime. The dime part is for the Marketing types to drool over. I'm from the Engineering side of things, as you are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

would I be able to fit a Passive radiator at the rear of a CW1 cab rear door section , and would the chorus 2 radiator be adequate ---------------instead of braces

Good luck with THAT simulation. Harry F. Olson used to call them "drone cones." They are a bit fussier to tame than ports because there's mass, diameter,  and compliance that needs to be controlled, so whatever suspension and diameter they have, you are stuck with and not easily modified and require lots of measurements. Either way, the box volume is what you are working with as a starting point, but there are way more port options available to control than passive radiators, plus you can use lots of different modern software for predictions with ports.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bill W. said:

I think the tractrix flare improves the flow efficiency, allowing the port tuning frequency to be more stable over a wider output range.

I would still have to measure it and hear it to be fully convinced it makes that much difference. My take would be that speaker POSITION in a real room of WILDLY varying reverberance, size, dimensions etc. would have a MUCH GREATER impact on a bass port than whether or not it was flared. IOW, if we add Cornwall IV ports to only one of a pair of old Cornwalls, would it make that much difference? I say would make a LITTLE difference but that would be overwhelmed by the room, placement of speakers, and location of the listener in the room as being 100 times more significant to the sound. So, YES, nothing against the improved flared ports, just being more "real world" about their sonic vs. MARKETING significance, is all..........

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, dwilawyer said:

Check this out

@Chief bonehead gets a mention 

I did check it out. Same issue here as Gutenberg. Blah blah blah, is INCOMPLETE. Why not use a good quality recorder like a $200 Zoom H2 at the sweet spot, then use an A/B switch for the speakers. In about 30 seconds or less, we could tell more about the SONIC differences of the Forte III vs. the Cornwall IV than the entire rest of the video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

MARKETING WISE , Klipsch is stating that this is the best Cornwall ever -- 100%

midrange is where we live ,    OK ---your super Cornwall may just need a  K603M and this new klipsch mid driver  --- Chief Bonehead had stated that it was the latest technology he had ---and acoustically , the most advanced  in  the industry for the CW -

I have not argument for all this. I agree. My ONLY point was about the influence of the flared ports being overblown by marketing mentality. No more, no less.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LarryC said:

Excellent!  I have long felt that the CW III erred greatly in using the Heresy upper driver config, 800 cross and all, which made it sound more like a heresy.  I thought it badly needed a 600 HZ mid horn to measure up to the original  Corns with its noticeably larger midhorn propagation field.  The III sounded pinched and unimpressive to me.  I wish it hadn't taken so long to rectify!

I certainly hope to hear it someday!  Not for me so much, since I'm pretty well set with my K-horn.

Larry

I measured about a 500 Hz. response for the K600 horns with K55's. I remember Gary Gillum, former Klipsch Chief Engineer, telling me he did not agree with Klipsch going with a K700 (Heresy Mid) Horn with the Cornwall. Bob Crites bought out the old Cornwall K600 tooling and refurbished it. I'm thinking he's selling a lot of those to the Japanese right about now. LOL.

• Like 2