Wanting a pair of La Scala’s

nickyboy6100

I’ve always wanted a pair of La Scala’s. I’ve read all the problems with bass not going low enough, but still am interested in hearing a fully horn loaded speaker. I don’t have good corners, or I would be looking for K-horns. I’m concerned that my room is too small for the La Scala to really shine. Listening room is 12x15.5 and the speakers would have to be placed on the short wall against it.  I currently have Chorus 2 in this room and they sound good. They have to be pulled off the wall about 2 ft to do so. This makes their footprint much larger and I figured the LS might take up less space if pushed against the wall. I have had forte 2’s in this room and again, they had to be pulled away from the wall quite a bit to sound good. This puts the speakers in a bad place for me because I have a 4 year old that I’d rather keep out from behind them. So my questions are- 

1. is my room sufficient for La Scala’s.

2. Is it an upgrade or at least a lateral move from the C2 to the LS. Thanks in advance.

Your room is on the small size for LS but I would not say too small. I have Belles in a room only slightly larger.

In my humble opinion, yes it would be an upgrade worth doing. (I have not heard the C2 but have heard the C1) You would give up a little bit in the lery low end but the upper bass would be more impactful and clean.

Not all agree. You should try to listen to a pair first. Where are you located, maybe a member could audition a set for you

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I live in Wadesville, IN. Not many Klipsch fans or dealers around here. I’m aware I would be missing out on some low end, but everything I’ve read says the LS makes up for that in clarity. Also, I have just always wanted a pair. I think they are the coolest looking speaker. My 1st set of klipsch we’re supposed to be LS, but a guy on Craigslist sold them out from under me. I ended up with kg4’s, then Forte 2’s then Chorus 2’s. I love all of them, but now I’m in a position to revisit the LS and hopefully it will meet my needs. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

That’s what I was hoping to hear!! I did see that the LS2 might be a little better with bass. I’m assuming not deeper, just better because of the cabinet design? Also, what would be a fair price for a pair? I’ve seen prices all over the place. None cheap that’s for sure. 

I can't speak to those questions (I'm using modified LS1's with subs), but I'm sure others who can will chime in. I'm fairly confident there are historical comparison threads here as well.

Well, if you ever get up to my neck of the woods in N. Indiana, let me know.   LS2s are going to be few and far between, but prices at this time should be getting fairly reasonable.  I think...

They sound great, and I think your room is just closely OK for the short wall.  Definitely toe them in to your listening position, and push them to the wall.

I'm looking for a pair of vintage LS, so if you see any, let me know.....😼

24 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

what would be a fair price for a pair? I’ve seen prices all over the place. None cheap that’s for sure. 

You would love the LS.  I used to own a pair.  The worry about "not enough bass" is not as bad once you hear what a horn loaded woofer can do.  The LS is articulate and can play loud effortlessly.  I suggest you look for something with the Type AA XO, they just sound good as-is.  The average price is $1200 and deals are out there.

Here is a good research tool.  Run your mouse over any cell with a red triangle.  Feel free to download it.  -Dave

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-12.xlsx

Thanks for all the replies. Wvu80- I haven’t stumbled across any near that price. Found a couple decent vintage models for around 2,000. One had Crites upgrades and the upgraded tweeter. I have no problem with the LS1, I just thought the price was a little high. Jimbo- how far north of Indy are you??

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Thanks for the reply. I live in Wadesville, IN. Not many Klipsch fans or dealers around here. I’m aware I would be missing out on some low end, but everything I’ve read says the LS makes up for that in clarity. Also, I have just always wanted a pair. I think they are the coolest looking speaker. My 1st set of klipsch we’re supposed to be LS, but a guy on Craigslist sold them out from under me. I ended up with kg4’s, then Forte 2’s then Chorus 2’s. I love all of them, but now I’m in a position to revisit the LS and hopefully it will meet my needs. 

Hello neighbor! I live in Farmersville outside Mt Vernon. If you get some I want to hear them lol! You can hear them at Kings in Evansville. They have a new room set up.

13 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Wvu80- I haven’t stumbled across any near that price. Found a couple decent vintage models for around 2,000. One had Crites upgrades and the upgraded tweeter. I have no problem with the LS1, I just thought the price was a little high. Jimbo- how far north of Indy are you??

South Bend area

As far south as you are, there might be more members that are even closer to you.

8 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Mine were $900, needing TLC on the original black varnish. Original grills in good shape, cabinets are solid, and the seller included the original crossovers and some re-capped Type A crossovers.

40 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

What do you think about the performance?

I've replaced the mids (A-55G) and tweets (CT-120), put in a Type A crossover networks using fancy capacitors, and added two horn loaded subs. I absolutely love them, but they're hardly what an original '88 LS1 sounded like coming off the production line. I'll probably replace the woofer at some point and still need to knock out the sanding and repainting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Hello neighbor! I live in Farmersville outside Mt Vernon. If you get some I want to hear them lol! You can hear them at Kings in Evansville. They have a new room set up.

What a small world. I grew up in Lawrence edition. I went to kings to listen, but couldn’t get any help. Looks like they are powering the speakers with low quality electronics also. 

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Mine were $900, needing TLC on the original black varnish. Original grills in good shape, cabinets are solid, and the seller included the original crossovers and some re-capped Type A crossovers.

I've replaced the mids (A-55G) and tweets (CT-120), put in a Type A crossover networks using fancy capacitors, and added two horn loaded subs. I absolutely love them, but they're hardly what an original '88 LS1 sounded like coming off the production line. I'll probably replace the woofer at some point and still need to knock out the sanding and repainting.

So I’m not crazy thinking 2,000 is a little high?

1 minute ago, nickyboy6100 said:

What a small world. I grew up in Lawrence edition. I went to kings to listen, but couldn’t get any help. Looks like they are powering the speakers with low quality electronics also. 

Yes I went over there and they were just getting set up. I told them hey need some better electronics and something with tubes. I grew up down by where luttermans was if you remember it..  I may know you. Who knows! I knew Rodger Thornburg real well from up your way.