KPT-904 vs KPT-396

Simon830

1 hour ago, Simon830 said:

It seems like theres a strong chance of me getting a pair of the 396s. They are very capable, easier to handle, cheaper and easier to set up. Paired with sum beefy subwoofers, I am sure I will be very happy. 

What sort of subwoofers do you guys recommend? I am looking hard at building a couple GSG Devastators, but also looking at PSA dual 18s and JTR dual 18 subs. 

Try to hear your potential choices ahead of time if you can and make your decision an informed one.

It seems like theres a strong chance of me getting a pair of the 396s. They are very capable, easier to handle, cheaper and easier to set up. Paired with sum beefy subwoofers, I am sure I will be very happy. 

What sort of subwoofers do you guys recommend? I am looking hard at building a couple GSG Devastators, but also looking at PSA dual 18s and JTR dual 18 subs. 

I found it easier to move the 904's than my Chorus II's.  If you have two people the 904's are easy to move because the ports give you something to hold on to. Moving the Chorus II's with two people is still a PIA.

2 minutes ago, risingjay said:

Moving the Chorus II's with two people is still a PIA.

Really?  I am not a large fella whatsoever and I can lift those by myself.... The other thing you can do is place each speaker on a moving blanket and drag it. If it's too heavy, you can roll it gently end to end as well until you get it onto a moving blanket. 

The general consensus here will be that direct radiators are garbage with tons of distortion and so forth, but personally I think you have some great choices picked out there.  If you can build and you have space, I guess that would expand your options significantly.    Depends on what kind of output, spade, budget and frequency response you see looking for as well.   Sounds like you are lookign for high output that digs deep and space isn't a huge issue.   

1 minute ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Really?  I am not a large fella whatsoever and I can lift those by myself.... The other thing you can do is place each speaker on a moving blanket and drag it. If it's too heavy, you can roll it gently end to end as well until you get it onto a moving blanket. 

Heck I just lift the Chorus speakers up by hand and a two wheeler does for the 904's. Nice big rubber feet on the 904's allows for easily slipping a two wheeler under them. I will say there is something to watch out for lifting Chorus speakers up. If the base is loose it can come off if you are using it to carry by. Almost lost one that way.

15 minutes ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

The general consensus here will be that direct radiators are garbage with tons of distortion and so forth, but personally I think you have some great choices picked out there.  If you can build and you have space, I guess that would expand your options significantly.    Depends on what kind of output, spade, budget and frequency response you see looking for as well.   Sounds like you are lookign for high output that digs deep and space isn't a huge issue.   

Well I have a great big horn but you will never get me to say something like those 904's are bad. The 904's good and a set of KP-450's is what really started me down the pro gear path.

26 minutes ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Funny, I am a big guy....guess I'm just a (fill in the blank).  Lol.  Either way, if the OP isn't going to moving them much and not taking them for gigs on the road, then why not the 904's over the 396?  

• Haha 1

@Rivilee builds subs and if you are interested, perhaps you may want to get in touch with him if you choose not to build subs yourself.  He can build many different designs including the latest Jogh Ricci designs which I hear as supposed to be pretty damn impressive.   If I choose to have any built, I'll likely be in touch with him.  

1 hour ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Lift with your legs and also, avoid hernias... Dang...roll end over end,

Cool dude...

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lift with your legs and also, avoid hernias... Dang...roll end over end,

Cool dude...

I have moved more than a couple heavy cabs and I'm not going to ask my wife or neighbors to help. If I have a buddy or family over, sure.   Dolleys make life easy there as well, agree with Dave on that. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

I have moved more than a couple heavy cabs and I'm not going to ask my wife or neighbors to help. If I have a buddy or family over, sure.   Dolleys make life easy there as well, agree with Dave on that. 

Dolly handy for sure. Had to wrestle with some by self without.

Amazing really what can be done without assistance... Cool

Klipsch determination.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I ended up getting a pair of KI-396s from Paducah Home Theater, and I could not be happier! I believe I made an excellent choice. They have incredibly high fidelity an are crystal clear no matter how high you crank them. Whats also great is they are an all in one speaker with metal grills, so I dont have an exposed external horn and woofers that the cat and tear up, and I can just plug them straight into my av receiver. 

They do need a subwoofer to reach their full potential though. I want a good movie subwoofer that can keep up with these things. Im currently looking at the JTR Captivator 4000ULF-TL, PSA V36 IPAL, or maybe even build myself a GSG Devastator with a Speakerpower rack amp. 

IF you guys have any thoughts on these subwoofers, please let me know! OR, if you have another big subwoofer I should defiantly take a look at, please let me know! I plan on getting 2 subwoofers later on, but im just going to start with one for now. Thanks guys!

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Simon830
  • Like 4