Anyone else remember this photo

BigStewMan

16 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I also remember seeing the video and it was striking to watch how casually the police chief walked up, pulled the handgun, shot the prisoner, and holstered his weapon.

interesting story about the photo:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42864421

Thanks for the link ... I was only aware of who the individuals were; but that story of Loan's later life is very interesting. 

Taking a life, even in the midst of war, must scar a person for life. 

I remember being a kid and asking my uncle (WWII vet and was at the invasion of Normandy) "how many people did you kill?"  He didn't answer and as I grew up I realized what a stupid question that was. even though I was a kid, my stupid question must have brought back horrible memories for my Uncle. 

21 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Thanks for the link ... I was only aware of who the individuals were; but that story of Loan's later life is very interesting. 

Taking a life, even in the midst of war, must scar a person for life. 

I remember being a kid and asking my uncle (WWII vet and was at the invasion of Normandy) "how many people did you kill?"  He didn't answer and as I grew up I realized what a stupid question that was. even though I was a kid, my stupid question must have brought back horrible memories for my Uncle. 

My one uncle in Patton's 3rd Army would tell his stories with a comedic twist to keep things on the light side. He hated Patton at the time but after 20 years at home he loved him after he realized how many lives he saved.

JJK

• Like 3

Vietnam was ugly and I'm sure there are some here that served or were in the lottery like my 2 older brothers . My father served in Korea and Vietnam . He would talk about Korea but not Vietnam . But to put things in perspective Vietnam certainly wasn't this .

gBjr6eSnSauLOZGkBCXoag.jpg

Also from Time Life

This is another photo from Life Magazine that was also used in the Ken Burns series.  The guy, fourth from the left, helping carry the wounded soldier is a friend of mine who did multiple tours as a Ranger.  There was another photo in that issue of him looking into a mass grave.  He saw some bad stuff, some of which he shared during a couple of long road trips but I know there’s much more he still can’t talk about.

image.jpeg.b1f22fa0362f7e988995e8b425e82db5.jpeg