New SVS "super subwoofer" lurking in the shadows!

Kain

Here is the latest info from Ron. He posted the following on the Home Theater Forum.

All,

OK, put the "Magic 8 Balls" away. Here's a bit of more or less hard info for you.

I'm not sure if this has been leaked yet but we're not talking about one new (box) sub, we're actually looking at a full line. Probably to debut in "onezies and twozies" as shipping/boxing and cost issues are worked out as we approach the new year. Yes, these are way beyond "vaporware". We're listening to several pre-production prototypes now actually.

While we are behind original plans in terms of schedule (there's a new concept, not), the new subs will be meant for those who just can't get used to the idea of a cylinder sub. While they're unlikely to exceed the price/performance ratio of our legendary PC and CS type subs, you can rest assured they'll be more than competitive with any brand of more common box designs. So if you want the most sub for the money from SVS, you can still visit our site and know nothing there will be beaten in terms of "getting what you pay for".

It's been clear for months though that while we can hardly build our high-performance cylinder subs fast enough, there ARE those who just flat prefer a box form factor. You thought maybe we weren't listening?? Shame on you ;^)!

The fact they'll be backed by SVS's full force of sales and technical support goes without saying I suppose? Once again too, we've avoided going to Chinese or other low-cost suppliers in favor of those in the USA we can reach out and touch, so to speak. We're all for a global economy mind you, but at the same time we're very proud of the fact over 95% of the content of all our products is produced in North America. Anyone with a job on the line these days (in North-America anyway) might appreciate that. We know this is irrelevant for many others, and that's OK too. These subs will actually have over 95% US/Canada content should that matter to you.

As for cost, we'll cover the full spectrum running from mid-priced subs (think prices in the PCi to PC-Plus range here) up to to "if you have to ask ... it's probably too expensive" when we have all near-term models out. The latter being marketed to folks that don't flinch at the SS type package prices. With luck, one or two may be in pre-order status before Christmas. Potentially one each of the most... and the least expensive. No promises though. They'll be ready when they are ready. Anyone with a current SVS knows it'll be worth the wait.

Hope this hasn't come off as some sort of marketing come-on. We just know how SVS fans relish the idea of emerging info coming right from the company founders. We'll be hard at it for the remaining 37 work days this year (sorry, we take Christmas day off) to make sure we don't disappoint.

Ron

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If I can get 120dB at 20Hz then its a sure hit for SVS."

Is it just me or is that the magical number that only the best of the best are capable of? As in the krell... 1st, when he says close to, I have to question that. If he means 128, that's close to 130 as far as numbers, but a little harder to reach in output. You are going to need a lot more power to push a lot more air for those extra 2 dbs, the difference between 128 and 130 is pretty large as far as accomplishing it with a sub, definately not the same as 108-110 or even 118-120. 2nd, I question how good it is going to sound considering it is bragging about krell numbers at what I'm guessing will be around, 1/4th the price.

But then again, I guess the krell is a wonder because it does it all in the 15x15x24 I think it is, I have a feeling this svs will be huge.

Btrigg,

The Krell MRS is priced at 30 grand,the new SVS sub will be too expensive at 1/4 of this price,and its not even powered!

Remember the Krell uses custom cut alumunium panels with ribbs to form a rock solid cabinet and uses a integrated of immesnse power(better then any Crown,even the Macro Reference).The Krell is too pricey for the performance if offers,even if its the most powerful compact sub in the world,and by far.

The SVS will not focus on minature size,performance is its main reason.And knowing SVS they should sell this supersub from 4-6 grand no more.For 4 grand you can build a massive braced box and have plenty of money for two custom 18" bruisers.The Krell's money is not in the drivers(even if the 15's used are massive but in the cabinet and custom monster amp).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff!!!!

Kain - Here's a quote from the link....

In an email I got from Tom V a couple months ago he said output-wise it would be around 4 CS Ultra's

That should answer your question 9.gif9.gif

I can't imagine this thing, I just can't, help, brain is shutting down, my ONE PC+ is insane, 4 ULTRA'S!! you have go to be ****ting me. You WILL go deaf with this sub, you have to 6.gif

----------------

On 12/6/2002 12:27:43 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Nice stuff!!!!

Kain - Here's a quote from the link....

In an email I got from Tom V a couple months ago he said output-wise it would be around 4 CS Ultra's

That should answer your question
9.gif9.gif

I can't imagine this thing, I just can't, help, brain is shutting down, my ONE PC+ is insane,
4 ULTRA'S!!
you have go to be ****ting me. You WILL go deaf with this sub, you have to
6.gif

----------------

HOLY CRAP! FOUR SVS CS-ULTRAS?? WOW! 6.gif6.gif6.gif

----------------

On 12/6/2002 4:37:56 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

Wow! I was going to get (my dad was) dual CS Ultras for his room... but now one of these... and what would be the price diiference with amp?

<[/font>

----------------

From Ron at the HTF post:

"Pre-orders for those of you with at least $2K or so (not counting amp) burning a hole in your pocket"

"Just a rough order of magnitude is around $3.5K with Crown K1 as an entry level power source."

----------------

On 12/7/2002 9:18:26 AM Dustin B wrote:

I highly doubt it will be the equal of four Ultras. The new sub is four dB12 drivers and four 4" flared ports (50"^2) in ~200L vs four TV12 drivers, 12 3" flared ports (85"^2) in a little over 400L.

----------------

I was thinking the same thing Dustin, but I got that info straight from Tom V. I emailed him about something else and asked a question about it's output vs. Ultra's and that's what he responded with. I don't see any reason why he would lie.

Hi Ears,

Sheesh, we haven't even shipped the first production unit and you are asking about a hot rodded version already? :)

We can build anything---but we won't "go there" for at least 6-8 weeks(we still have 4-5 other box subs we are working on that need to be finished).

To anyone wondering about the output claims, put down the Sd,Vd,and port calculators for a sec and think about issues like mutual air coupling and reactive force cancellation.

We'll have objective performance numbers on it(from an independent reviewer) asap---hopefully first half of 2003.

TV

Thanks for the repply TV,

I can wait a few months until the SVS super sub is in full production.Then I'll send you an e-mail and we can talk pricing.I have no problem paying extra.

Untill then I think I can survive on my mere 12 subwoofers(KLipsch KSW12/15,RSW10/15,Sunfire Mark II,Junior,Signature,Carver Knight Shadow(two),Velodyne HGS18,Aerial SW12 and Revel B15) I have at home. 3.gif

As it stands I only use 10-15% of the output capability of my subs.The owner of the store where I buy my Klipsch/Sunfire and other gear thinks I lost a few screws.6.gif I think I need medication

The latest sub added is the Klipsch RSW15,packs a quite punch.

There are only 2 things that I would want to see in Canada.

1. Niagra falls.

2. TheEARS ridiculous hometheatre.

I would even pay for admission. Are you married by the way? If so your wife is a very special and forgiving woman.

Pssst I'll trade you wives (as I quickly press submit)