New SVS "super subwoofer" lurking in the shadows!

Kain

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some info. someone posted at HTF:

>>>Any new info on the "SuperSVSub"? I'm hearing scary stuff...and I cannot wait.<<<

TomV,

We are hoping to have some pictures and full details up on the website in a few days. This puppy is fairly large,heavy and it will be expensive(at least by SVS standards)...but it was also approching 130dBs at 2m in ground plane testing (peak output) with <10%thd and will have a user definable FR(freq-response) in the 7-150hz range in the typical room.

TV

"The unit will have user adjustable tuning(ala' PC+ for example). In maximum extension mode...it will extend down to the 6-9hz range in the typical room. In maximum output mode(tuned around 25hz)...it approaches 130dBs. Like all subs, as you tune it lower(increase extension) you'll trade off a bit of maximum output capabilities at each tuning step.

It will be a passive enclosure that we will package with a large amp and a parametric EQ(or you can purchase the subwoofer itself separately)."

What the...NO CANT BE!!!

Mua ha ha ha ha

Great news

TomV care to comment? WOW This is awesome news if true.I will be ready to get two Ultras and two CS-Plus in March...and now I hear this! Almost perfect timing,...should I wait for your OMEGA ALPHA ULTRA?

If it will provide me with the magical 120d at 20HZ then,maybe YES.

130dB at 25HZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH I AM FLOATING WOW ME MUST HAVE...I send SVS an email when I get back from work(STILL AT WORK!)

O damn I am on fire now,mua ha ha ha.ME MUST HAVE

If its not over 5 grand for the passive sub alone I am a taker.Amps...I have kilowatts worth of them.

1.gif

Aha! Over at AVS, Ron said that the new super sub would actually be a box design and not a tube! OK, maybe he didn't use those exact words, but he did hint at something different than usual for SVS.

He also said more other "little" subs will be introduced before these are even announced. We need to wait until Sep/Oct for more news???

Tom, you tell us.

Rich B.

In a way, it (a box design) would make sense. Here's my theory.

SVS has proven itself on a few fronts:

* Performance:$ ratio is among the best available from commercial mfg.

* TV is a DIY "legend" and, well, he obviously knows his stuff.

* Countless reviews (both pro & user) that are quite favorable.

* Their subs meet/exceed specs.

* Have a great price range of ~$500 + up.

* Insanely good customer service.

The ONLY one occasional "knock" that I have read many times is appearance. Not everyone can deal with a "tube". Many people prefer/require a box look. I see it as SVS's final frontier, as they have proven themselves in all other aspects. Maybe a tube within a box shell, so that it at least looks like a box.

My 2 cents.

Rich B.

Justin,

I read those threads, and Tom mentions Ground Plane measurements.

He talks about doing it in 45 degree wheather, so I would gather he is measuring outside, 7hz/130db's@2 meters.

With the 5 KV Crown, probably running test tones for distortion, with the usual EQ tailoring.

Imagine that parked in the corner of your home.

The 130 was mentioned at 25hz. There is no way it will be doing 7hz at 130dB. What was said is that with the variable tuning (ie plugging ports) you can get extension down to below 10hz. But this will be at a major output expense as I'm guessing it will be severely underported with all but one port plugged.

As for more box evidence, the size comparison was to a B&W AS4000, not other SVS cylinders.

Some of you may also find this interesting:

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/sadhara.htm

Dustin,

Interesting,but I know I will get SVS And when I do I will go for the BIG mutha,at 130dB at 25Hz you can I am sure get a solid 114dB at 16Hz with ease.In my both rooms subs perform well(or better then they should).If I can get 120dB at 20Hz then its a sure hit for SVS.

Now I will be waiting to see any news on this super sub.See Dustin no need to cut holes in floors,walls and mount drivers in closets to get good sub bass. 3.gif

Oh boy! Sometimes I just love myself for being patient. 3.gif

I mean if I had gotten the SVS CS-Ultra a month ago and then realized that this new SVS "super subwoofer" was coming out, I would kill myself! 3.gif

What really interests me is that this new SVS subwoofer will be a cube design.

Does anyone have any idea how much this new subwoofer will cost?

Another thing to note is that there will be a number of new SVS subwoofers.

Tom Vodhanel: The PC+ subs were more popular than we expected...so we are just getting the last of the preorders out today. We have a SVS board meeting this weekend, so I won't be able to give my attention to any of the new SVs (including the *supersub*) until next Monday. I hope to have a production sample of the *supersub* (working title only ) within 2 weeks from today though.

TV