Bikers, Ever Ridden a Bike That Scared You?

Ceptorman

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

200 HP hooligan bike? I think it might be the ultimate street cruiser. I doubt anything will outrun it. I actually like the looks. It has a lot of stuff going on in the front fairing section, but with that much HP,  it just adds to the appeal. Pretty mean bike. The green trellis looks great.

add an air to air intercooler .,  that could be  another 35hp -remove the cat --10 hp -

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

An American, Garrett Gerloff, might get to race Valentino Rossi's Moto GP bike this weekend. It's a HUGE shot at the big time. He races World Superbike now. 

One of the top US Superbike riders got to ride a MotoGP bike at Laguna Seca some years ago, as a wildcard rider.  He was amazed and a little worried at the much greater power and speed of the MotoGP bike.  I don't remember how he finished, but I don't think he crashed, so that was good.

• Like 2

One Britten owner brought his bike to the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound, back in the mid-Nineties or so.  The small rural fairground had only gravel or dirt road areas, so there was nowhere practical to ride it.  As a result, it stayed on the stand all weekend, but he did start it a few times, to the delight of the big groups of fans surrounding it.  He also sold quite a few T-shirts and other memorabilia.

The sound of the engine impressed everybody.  It was a V-Twin, but a high-tech racing V-Twin, and it sounded the part.  It's a pity he didn't put it on the portable dyno.  It would have been interesting, both to see its actual power output, and to hear it running up to redline at full throttle.

7 hours ago, Cold Smoke said:

Back in the 80s I graduated from an RD50 straight to an FJ1200.

The first three weeks were sheer terror.

Fun riding after that though? Do you still ride?

7 hours ago, Islander said:

One of the top US Superbike riders got to ride a MotoGP bike at Laguna Seca some years ago, as a wildcard rider.  He was amazed and a little worried at the much greater power and speed of the MotoGP bike.  I don't remember how he finished, but I don't think he crashed, so that was good.

Josh Hayes? He filled in on the Yamaha team a few years ago. Ben Spies kind of fizzled out, he won 1 MotoGP race.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

That happens a lot, it seems. Might be why MM stayed in AMA Super Bike, rather than trying WSB or GP.  

I guess Matt was making much more coin by staying here than going overseas. Plus he racked up all those wins/titles, can't blame him. 

18 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Fun riding after that though? Do you still ride?

Josh Hayes? He filled in on the Yamaha team a few years ago. Ben Spies kind of fizzled out, he won 1 MotoGP race.

Yep, Josh Hayes was the guy I was thinking of.  I saw a pre-race interview with him, and he seemed a bit intimidated by the extra speed and power of the YZR-M1 MotoGP bike, because he hadn’t expected it to be that much faster than his Superbike..  As for Ben Spies, he ran into some kind of bad luck, didn’t he?

MotoGP is pretty serious business, though.  Colin Edwards was a 2-time World Superbike Champion, but he struggled to get on the podium in MotoGP, even after he had years of experience in the class. I think he was the one who coined the term “aliens”, to refer to riders like Rossi and Dani Pedrosa, who seemed to be able to go very fast in conditions that slowed down Edwards.  To him, those two and a couple of others seemed to have superhuman abilities.  And that was before Marquez was up to full speed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Islander said:

MotoGP is pretty serious business, though.  Colin Edwards was a 2-time World Superbike Champion, but he struggled to get on the podium in MotoGP, even after he had years of experience in the class. I think he was the one who coined the term “aliens”, to refer to riders like Rossi and Dani Pedrosa, who seemed to be able to go very fast in conditions that slowed down Edwards.  To him, those two and a couple of others seemed to have superhuman abilities.  And that was before Marquez was up to full speed.

I was thinking of the Texas Tornado when the subject of stepping up was mentioned... and his save. while qualifying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, baron167 said:

First bike I road that kept my adrenaline going the entire ride was a Yamaha VMAX. Several years later a Honda CBR1000RR had the same affect on me.

CBR 1000RR , , now that's gotta be a mean , scary bike  ,  definitely one of the most advanced   Bikes out there  along with the R1M and the ZX10RR

CBR 1000RR , , now that's gotta be a mean , scary bike  ,  definitely one of the most advanced   Bikes out there  along with the R1M and the ZX10RR

It’s incredible. The most advanced bike I’ve ever ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Agreed, and video doesn't do it justice of how fast they're going and how quickly things went sideways. Not sure how much skill vs luck was involved that he didn't get launched by a high-side.  

I think when you're that good, luck is part of your skill.

7 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

The new 2021 CBR1000RRr SP2 is a pretty mean bike, 212 HP. $29k