Dusty vinyl records? This cheap solution works for me!

MeloManiac

My turntable is a real dust magnet (see picture) and my collection of vinyl dates back to the 70s and 80s and has seen lots of listening sessions. Many have scratches, and they are greyish rather than black because of accumulated dust. 

Today was a real dry day and the static elektricity made sparks when I touched the record. 

I used that typical black carbon fibre brush, but it was of no use: I could literally see the dust fly from the brush to the record. Hate that. Started doing research on the Internet out of frustration. 

Now I see today as a historical moment. Some guy on a website listed a clothes duster, a sticky roller, of which the paper can be peeled off when it is no longer sticky. I have that, I thought. I'm going to give it a try. 

My first attempt was a scary miss. The roller was so sticky, I almost could not remove it from the record. I rolled it a couple of times on my trousers, so it was a bit less sticky. Much better. I avoided the round sticker in the center of the record, and rolled from the center to the outer track. See picture. Turn the record some 60 degrees and clean the next piece of the pie (consider it a pie chart) until you covered full 360 degrees. 

The result is simply spectacular. All the dust is removed and the elektrostatic charge is gone too. I only hear the deepest scratches. 

Have been going through my collection tonight, cleaning the dirtiest (most favorite) albums. So good to hear them so pure. 

These rollers are sold by Aldi. They come in six packs with a plastic handle, but I didn't use the handle. They cost €4 (I think). 

PSX_20201104_225504.jpg

PSX_20201104_151052.jpg

• Like 3

Since records washing machines and ultrasonic record systems are too expensive , I make by hand.........

I´m a carefully driver but sometimes I discover records that are quite dirty. Since I am neither a record cleaning machine with fluids I have owned an ultrasonic record machine and have been doing it my way for years. For this I need the following tools : 1 cotton towel, 1 roll of soft absorbent paper towels,1 bottle of glass cleaner (e.g. for the windows of windows or cars with less than 5 % anionic tensides and ethyl alcohol) 1 soft sponge ( without the bob  LOL )  and a microfiber tissue with nano particles. Oh ...and a delicious Latte Machiato is also part of it .

First I put the record on the cotton towel and spray it with the glass cleaner, then I distribute the liquid evenly with the sponge, let it work for about 2 minutes. Once this is done, I remove the liquid with the soft paper towel and let the record dry a little. Finally I go with the micro fiber cloth circularly and with some pressure over the surface of the record. I have no comparable knowledge about the effectiveness of record cleaning with a machine, but I have found that the efficiency of this application achieves very good results. Plates that crackled before no longer crackle. Even if I remove dust with the carbon brush when I put a plate on the table, I notice that the frictional resistance on the surface has been reduced considerably. This is also beneficial for the pick-up when scanning the record.

2022020556_reordcleaning1.thumb.jpg.608b9d7ffab8a147a29f360f2e08367a.jpg1934207564_recordcleaning2.thumb.jpg.f45d5e98605ea9fc7095f480e5daaa1e.jpg

• Like 2

I am very picky regarding my records.

I used a liquid and a microfiber cloth only when I was in my beginnings.

All my used/second-hand LPs went through the OkkiNokki machine, when this service was available to me locally.

To my understanding, it is important to suck up all the liquid that mixed with the dirt from the groves. Otherwise it will stay on LPs and you haven't done much.

And the cleaning fluid that is sold by OkkiNokki proved to be very good.

I use the Discwasher Record Cleaner. Mine is probably 30 years old. When the fluid runs out, I replenish it with distilled water. The water negates the static. Works like a charm, used before each play.

If static attraction to your record mat is a problem, it sounds like you need a mat made of a different material. Increasing the humidity in your room is also beneficial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a set of five Crosley record cleaning cloths from Walmart for about $10.  I'm not sure how different they are from a regular microfiber cloth but I used one on the new The Wall album I just bought and it removed the little dust/paper particles from the album jacket very easily. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@parlophone1     if 450 bucks is a cheap solution for you, that´ll be fine .....;)

Of course it is not cheap, that is why I haven't bought record cleaning machine yet.

However, the service of cleaning records that we had in a local record shop was cheap enough. It was less than a dollar for one record and the owner usually included one new Mofi record sleeve.

But the shop closed, so I just do not buy second hand records any more 😊

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My aircleaner has arrived. 

Inside it has two large hepa filters, no water recipient. I'm using setting high, also low and sleep are available. The fan's noise is present, but not distracting. I can feel the air current leaving the machine. Hepa filters must be cleaned every month, and replaced every six months. 

Hope this will get rid of all the dust. 

Paid 39 euro, Amazon special offer. (normal price is 49).

First impressions are positive. 

Will post a follow up report after two weeks of use. 

PSX_20210106_104241.jpg

PSX_20210106_104210.jpg

Screenshot_20210106_112508.jpg

On 11/4/2020 at 5:25 PM, Full Range said:

For static and dust control you can purchase an anti static gun 

Something like the Zero Stat - I have a different brand from the 70s 

zerostat_zerostat_anti_static_gun_103429

What kind of ammo does it use? 🙂 Will it work on my hair; I hate Brylcreem.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

What kind of ammo does it use? 🙂 Will it work on my hair; I hate Brylcreem.

I don’t think Hubbard Park can handle a new looking you and nothing wrong with Brylcreem 

But the Zerostat might stop flyaway hair - it just needs a test subject