Need to lengthen the speaker cables

M4verick

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Marrettes , is that a french word -?

Well, the “ette” suffix denotes the diminutive, like “cigarette” is the diminutive of “cigar”.  It looks like it has French ancestry, even in Californian slang like “dudes and dudettes”.  But my knowledge of French doesn’t match that of an actual francophone, like yourself.  I don’t know the French equivalent of the English word “smartass”, for example.

Joking, of course.

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Get ratcheted crimpers, they are Fool (Travis) Proof.

Well not quite. If you look at the crimp connector there is the "tube" you stick the wire in and it has a split on one side. On your crimper there is a rounded side and a protruding side for lack of better words. You put the rounded side on the split side of the crimp connector and take the protruding side and crimp towards this. Use the right size connector too and not just one you happen to have.

17 hours ago, Islander said:

I don’t know the French equivalent of the English word “smartass”, for example.

Joking, of course.

South of the Border , we say  ,  Tete Carree , it's Franco-American Acadian slang for S-----------s-

I am  , Joking   ,  of course  , Mon Cher Ostie :biggrin: -

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wetowne said:

Named after William Marr. He was an electrician who worked for Ontario Hydro-

Correct  , Wing-nuts -Marettes were invented in Canada in 1914 here is a Document relating to the Marrette Brand which is now owned by ABB of Zurich -Switzerland

http://www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/wire-termination/wire-connectors/A_Wire_Termination.pdf

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Where's the fun in that?

I sold a guy a set of La Scalas early this year. He maintained they were bass heads and had won awards for super heavy duty vehicle bass. So he is here and loves them and off he goes. Later I get a call that one side is not working. OK so off I go for a 200 mile round trip to see because I want to know. They were doing just fine here and all the over the phone tips I gave him failed. So I get up there and was baffled as heck over this thing. Never thought to check his crimp job because, well you know bass award winning pros can hook speaker wires up right? Switched the cables back and forth and son of a gun the wire falls out of one of them. Little tiny undersized piece of crap crimp connector had no chance at holding his rather generous wire gage and there was just enough intermittent connection to make things baffling until total failure. Now THAT was fun!

• 1 month later...