Fixed

USNRET

Who’s  around to lend a hand?

disc player via rca and optical, parasound P6 pre selected to either input from player and the xilica shows no action on level lights and zero sound.

using balanced, balanced selected

preamp out to xilica in and xilica out to amps. Amp gain 100%

9 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Who’s  around to lend a hand?

disc player via rca and optical, parasound P6 pre selected to either input from player and the xilica shows no action on level lights and zero sound.

using balanced, balanced selected

preamp out to xilica in and xilica out to amps. Amp gain 100%

maybe the problem is caused to to double connection analog rca &  optical together, disconnect the optical first and use rca / analog only, if it doesn´t work change to the opposite and disconnect the rca / analog and use optical only. ymtc as I´m not familliar with your gear ...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Parasound A23s  160x2 @  8 ohms 

I guess I was afraid to use much volume thinking if it “kicked in”. I am used to my 200 watt McIntosh 

I have sound beginning at 10 from the disc player now

if do you have a loudness control ,  make sure it is ON -

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Who would have thunk you had to turn volume above 50 (from 0) to hear anthing

This is your problem I promise. 

There is a line voltage difference between consumer and pro equipment. In the Xlicia there is an adjustment to help with that. Pro takes more line voltage.

I don't have a Xlicia I have the original unit that was used, a EV DX38. I had to get a box called  Art Clean Box Pro. It goes between source and the EV DX (which is Pro) the box has a volume knob to increase the line voltage to correct the problem.

Before the ART box I had to crank half the volume to get anything, not any more it works great, it s exactly designed to adjust line voltage.

But the Xlicia has that built into the menu, I remember reading people using it to fix the line voltage problem

dtel, I’m also using a Dx38, but I’ve never had any volume issues, and that was with two different AVRs, a Yamaha RX-V750 and an RX-A2060.  The volume goes from -80 to +15.  Normally, I listen to Net Radio at around -45, TV at -35, CDs at around -40, and LPs at -20, due to the lower output of the cartridge.

At those volume levels, none of the level lights on the Dx38 come on, so it’s being underdriven.  To get all the lights to come on, I have to crank the volume to -10 to -5, and that’s really deafening.  In my system, the sources feed into the AVR, and the signal then goes out from the Left and Right Pre Outs to the Dx.  Is the signal routed differently in your system?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have sources going into a Receiver also,  Pioneer VSX 82 THX, sources are laptop, BR player and sat. And I  also just use the pre outs heading to the ART box then the DX.,

I also had no lights lighting up on the DX38 even with the input knob all the way up on the DX. I put the ART Cleanbox between the receiver and DX and adjusted. Now with the input knob on the DX at 0 all the lights are lighting up and the sound is better, I actually keep the amps which are only 50 WPC at half volume and I can get to 100db on output from the speakers, with the amps all the way up it can get crazy loud, which we don't listen like that "normally".

One thing I had to do when adjusting the ART box was to crank up the sound and then adjust the ART box, this way I was not adding to much line gain. To much line gain if adjusted when the volume is low will cause clipping in the DX when you do crank it, not good you don't want red flickering lights on the DX.

I asked Roy about it and it's kind of like a RTR, or anything during recording,  the signal needs to be correct for everything to be equal. If the signal is low the amps have to push more to get the same volume where it should be with a normal line voltage balance. Besides this the weaker signal is not helping the DX it seems, it just sounded better overall when the signal was good going into the DX at the right volume. Plus I like all the Blinky lights. :lol:

Roy heard it and seen/heard  for himself it added NO noise, you can stick your head in the 402 between songs with the volume up and there is no hiss or noise at all. He ended up ordering one to match the line voltage in the listening room in Hope to adjust the line voltage so they could switch back and forth between a SS amp and a tube amp and still keep the overall volume equal.

What surprised me was it did exactly what I needed and did it well and it was under $50 when I bought it, I just looked there about $80 now. That does not happen often in this hobby, usually everything is expensive.

• Thanks 1

That sounds like it would be worth checking out.  Thanks!  I just looked up the ART box, and of course it costs $99.99CAD here in Canada.  However, I like the blinky lights, too.  The noise spec is much lower than the spec for my amps, 90dB versus 120dB, but if you and Roy say it’s quiet, that’s good enough for me.

As it happens, my amps are 500 Wpc, so it could get interesting.

One other thing:  do you turn on the Cleanbox only when using it, or do you leave it on all the time?  As I mentioned elsewhere recently, following advice from two Yamaha reps, I've left my power amps turned on since early 2018.  I turn the Dx38 and the receiver on only when I'm using them.  One Yamaha rep said that it might be good for the electronics in the receiver to remain powered on, but it would not be good for the display, since the particular elements that are on all the time would dim over time, making for a spotty-looking display.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Islander said:

but if you and Roy say it’s quiet, that’s good enough for me.

I have only tried it here, and it is dead quiet, it was in Hope's listening room also.

As it happens, my amps are 500 Wpc, so it could get interesting.

That could be dangerous, one slip with the volume knob and you might blow out your windows.

I say this because with the amp volume turned up half way it get's to 100 Db in a 24' wide by 34'deep area....living room, kitchen and dining room, all open. And the amps are only 50 WPC each.

do you turn on the Cleanbox only when using it,

Yes I just leave it on, where it's at it would be to much trouble to turn it off or unplug. It had been running for a few years now.

I do turn off the amps and the DX, sub amp and receiver, I really liked the feature on the amps that is sleeps and turns itself off but I can't use it on that setting. When playing, the speakers use so little WPC at low volumes the amps think they should go to sleep and cut off. 

That sounds like it would be worth checking out.

I think so, if like here it did make it sound better when the signal going into the DX was closer to where it should have been. We listen at almost background levels most of the time during the day and I think it sounded better, at higher levels also but a little less so, I guess maby because at higher levels it was getting a stronger signal into the Dx ? 

One thing to think about is the connections on the ART box, it can be turned around to be used to lower the line voltage, not what you want so read about it and look at the connections needed. I use balanced but had to use a pair of RCA's and balanced on the other end of the cable for one of the connections, I just ordered one like that,  just look at the description you will figure it out, it took me a minute to figure it out.

It looks like exactly what I need.  I'd heard references to the Cleanbox from you and others, but I never looked into it, so I wasn't really aware of what it did.  I remember Dr. Who was doing a little mod to the Dx units to set the level where it should be, but then the max volume would be lowered.  I like the idea of being able to leave the Dx totally stock.  I'm using RCA-to-XLR interconnects between the AVR and the Dx, but it looks like I might be able to run RCA I/Cs right into the Cleanbox.  The local shop of Long & McQuade, a coast-to-coast music shop chain, carries the Cleanbox in their Pro Audio Department, so I'll give them a call.

Just called, and yep, they carry them for $89.99.  And the shop is only about 2 km/1.25 miles away, so that's shopping local.  Win-win.

A while ago, I noticed something interesting about the volume control on my receiver:  it responds differently, depending on whether you gently increase the volume or give it  a quick twist.  A slow increase will make the volume climb slowly, maybe 10 dB per wrist twist, but a sudden twist will give 20 dB or more for the same amount of knob rotation.  It's handy, but I'll have to make sure to be paying attention to it.