are SVS overpriced or is it just me?

prodj101

well, after I was thinking about building my own tube sub (shiva based), I suddenly realized that even SVS are astronomicaly over priced. Now I know they are a good deal in comparison with other things on the market, but I still think they are a bit steeply priced considering the parts that go into them. A tube the size that they use is about 15 bucks at home depot, and a driver comporable is about 200 bucks or less. Than throw in a few 2 by 4's of MDF (about 10 bucks total), and you've got yourself an SVS for under 300 bucks, compared to the ultra (without amp and single) which costs 900 dollars. 3 times cheaper.

Remember, you can't just add up the price of parts and get the cost of an item. Neither can you figure in just labor of assembly.

You have costs such as engineering and development costs. Sure maybe you can just make a sub to the dimensions someone else figured out before you, but someone had to original do all the math. Another is just the costs of doing business, their website, people to answer phones, take care of billing, developing new designs.

I know that there are a lot of things I could make myself, and the parts would be cheaper, but I really like to support companies who I feel are valuable to the industry. This way they have the money to develop new products, and the cheapskates get more & better designs to copy ;)

-mkl

>>>well, after I was thinking about building my own tube sub (shiva based), I suddenly realized that even SVS are astronomicaly over priced.<<<

Obviously you need to go into business for yourself---you'll be able to sell "astronomicaly* overpriced goods,sure to make you a rich man. If the SVs are this overpriced(in your words) and are constantly outgunning the competition that cost 2-4x as much...what does that tell you?

TV

A Shiva won't compete with an Ultra. A Tempest yes, a Shiva no. The Stryke AV12 will compete with the Plus series driver though. The Shiva is a good match for the base model SVSubs (with the ISD anyways, first iteration I'd say the Shiva had a clear edge).

SVS has the tube custom made, it is much thicker and denser than sonotube and isn't designed to be peeled away. SVS uses baltic birch for the endcaps and base plate. Baltic birch is about 3 times the cost of mdf. It adds a lot of difficulty to the build, but flush mounting an amp like SVS is possible. Won't add much cost but will add a lot of time. The flared ports are available to us for about $15 a piece. So for the base ones that adds $15, for a plus or ultra clone that adds another $45.

Then there are the other basic things like heavy fabric, legs, grille, stuff to hold the driver/legs/base plate/grille in place, wiring, binding posts. The packaging for shipping. You'd be surpised how much good packaging will cost.

SVS is far from over priced, but yes if you have the tools, skills and desire, building a sub is by far your best option. Take your typical commercial box sub, parts cost is likely less than 20% of the final retail price. With SVS it will be in the %50-%70 range. Ron has also stated that by his calculation in the first year of operation he and Tom were making about a $1 an hour.

SVS IMO is the best value period in commercial subs currently available. By a large margin over retail stuff and a small margin over other online guys like Hsu. Sold in brick and mortar an SVS 20-39PCi would easily be going for close to $1500.

so what else is new....someone complaining about the price of something....

if you feel the price is too high, then don't buy it.

obviously, svs subs are NOT overpriced because they are very popular and i guess that they sell alot of them....

here's a new concept that maybe you haven't heard of..it's called "supply and demand".....

svs makes a great product, sets the price, and lots of people buy it...sounds like a great business plan to me....(and nobody is getting an inferior product - like bose)

buy it or don't buy it.....that's the great thing about the free enterprise system....

"obviously, svs subs are NOT overpriced because they are very popular and i guess that they sell alot of them"

I never said that they didn't sell alot of them, or that they aren't popular, I simply said that they are over priced considering the materials that go into them.

SVS is what? Overpriced! LOL LOL and LOL cubed

Ever considered design(custom drivers),cabinet,parts,labour,and advertising a bit.SVS is there to make money.Nobody is in business to break even,its all about money and TV will not give away his subs.

SVS is damn well priced for the high performance they provide and the quality parts used.

Also is a Tumult driver overpriced? NO,it provides top notch performance,its priced just right.

Is a Sunfire Signature overpriced,not really they provice major performance in a tiny package.Sunfire sells plenty of subs,people are ready to pay for them.And will continute to buy them even if some may shout its overpriced.

Is an Aerial Acoustics SW12 overpriced...NOT TO ME.I can pay for it in bird eye maple and am very satisfied with the high caliber of this sub.Is it expensive YES,and worth each cent

Is a Krell FPB600 overpriced? NO not to the customer who wants a amp with almost unreal power output and capable of driving unhuman loads while providing first class sound and built quality.

Quality audio can be very expensive

Tempest sonotube price list.

Sonotube 24 inch by 6 feet, had to buy 6feet of it. 60bucks

Tempest driver 150bucks

mdf 4x8 sheet 20bucks

input cup 10bucks

pollyfill 6bucks

covering 10bucks

glue, paint 10bucks

port 10bucks

ava250 plate amp 180bucks

total 396bucks

Total of around 400 dollars, and you have to have your own tools to boot.Not to hard to build, but still wont look as good as a svs sub.Mine turned out ok, but its so dang big.