Dynaco mark III tubes on there way to craig

Dale W

Well today i'm proud to say i'm one step closer to 2 channel nervana.

puchased the pair of mono blocks off e-bay this morning for

550.00 and having them shipped directly to craig for a check up.

Maybe craig could post us a picture once he gets them.

Watch this thread for craigs updates and opinion.

Anyone else own a Dynaco or heard one or have a mod recomendation ??? feel free to jump on board with your thoughts.

Plans are to take my k-horns out of the ht set up and use them with the new tubes.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one can have some better choices personally but if getting for a steal, ok. To get the best from these, you need to do more than just bring them up to spec. Consider some major mods to the circuit with info at Ned at Triode Electronics and Welborne Labs(which offers a more extensive mod approach) among others.

Ned uses Sprague coupling caps which I think are ok but can be bettered. EAch to his own here as it's all in your system, ears, and flavoring preference. Neds board also offers a "cascoded triode front-end." You can get a better bias kit too but it has to be used with his board. One could get the Ned board without parts and stuff with own selection.

Ned's Dynaco MkIII boards/Mods

There are many sites for the MkIII. TO me, the biggest gain comes with acquiring these beasts and saving ducats on your own as once you send to a repair place, the final price puts you in perhaps better amp territory.

All in all, depending on what you do, you should get some nice sounding amps from the trouble though. I know Craig is very careful and wants to do the best for his customer.

kh

Congrats on the new amps. I have a pair of Dynaco MkIV monoblocks and am very, very happy with them. they too were sent for a check up and I had pretty much all the standard things done, replaced old caps, better resistors, new rca jacks, selenuim diode replaced, etc. they sound really good and the upgrading gave them even better bass response (tighter IMO) and clear highs (again IMO)...so much amp for so little cash...ahhhhhhh....now I just need to get a little el84 based amp and a 300B SET (for low volume jazz nirvana) and my amp collecting will be over...NOT! regards, tony

HOMELESS: Thanx for the honest feed back.

I'm well aware that better amps are around, but these seemed to be fairly cheap and maybe worth putting some coin into. have to wait and see what craig thinks they sound like.

At least i still have the ss rotel RB-1090 (380wpc) to fall back on. No lack of guts on this amp. My 6 year old girl is starting fiddeling lessons and i thought it would be nice to have some tube gear to play her a few musical passages while practicing.

Bet you wished you had a dad like me. lol 16.gif

This all you can say after I struggled to find you all those 2A3/300B schematic/amp sites??? heh... And you didnt even respond! FReak!

The above picture is what happens at 3am when you cant sleep. $100 for first that can identify EVERY album reference in the sordid collage (there are 8).

kh

ps- Dont you love seeing through those MQ transformers? heh...

Dale, Mobile

I'm pretty tickled that he's sending them to me. They may look just like the picture Deang posted when Dale gets it back.....oh I mean them 1.gif

Mobile,

I believe I mentioned to Dale that Triode makes some nice replacement boards for those units and you can trust me when I say its not going to have any orange drops in there LOL !!! You can buy his board stuffed or not. I'm not sure how far Dale will want to go with them we will have to see when I get them. I myself would like to throw everything into them !!

Craig

I'd love to take your $100, but as Miles said when he first saw the original cover of Miles Ahead: "Who's that white b*tch?" I even know the PJ record-but the blonde stumps me for now. I was gonna guess Beth Orton, but I really don't know. I'll ask my next door neigbor, a best-selling novelist and fan of post-modern chick singers and if she knows I'll split your money with her.

Nice bunch of LPs there. Been humming "Sonnymoon for Two" for hours now.

I'll take a shot at Mobile's album collage:

John Coltrane's - Blue Train, Blue Note, BLP 1577 (1957)

Top left to right:

Miles Davis Quartet - Relaxin', Prestige, PR 7129, (1956)

Leif Garrett(in drag)- My Come Back9.gif Dont have a clue who she is?

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus, Prestige, PR 7079 (1956)

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me, Island Records, 1993

Ornette Coleman - Something Else, Contemporary S7551, (1958)

Miles Davis Quartet - Steamin', Prestige, PR 7200, (1956)

Oh well...7 out of 8...Close but no cigar.

Heh...even ole Allan came out (surprised he is still talking as I owe the man $25 ducats and he probably would want to see THAT before the $100 anyway!) Nice shot there... knew you would get the jazz...and ole PJ was a nice surprize.

Shapeshifter, that was a good guess as well (where have you been?). All correct, of course...except...yep, the second album (Leif Garrett? Lord help me) and you seem to have forgotten the last album in the lineup. Oversight?

Yeah, I knew no one would come up with that second selection hence the $100 offer. Although it is on a pretty major independent lable. Here are a few more hints - Anyone?

guess.jpg

kh