A painfully true email from a friend - Perspective

mobile homeless

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true ...

Figuring that Kelly was history on this place (after all, he has dumped 50% of his knowledge for free about 50 times), I was going to compile the "Best of" his commentary for the last year or so. I've learned a lot from so many on this forum, and I'm actually SO lucky that I happened on this forum first -- because it is fraternal in nature. Most of the people here are nice and informative, two rare combos these days.

I will also add that these descriptors (e.g., "Answering Machine") ought to be done away with ... They arbitrarily, seeking humor, assign stimas to contributors. Why belittle frequent contributors? Sound like affirmative action at work.

I'll be selling copies of Kelly's memoirs at only $7.99 a piece, your choice of binding. Proceeds go to the charity of my choice.

Antigua anyone?

What bothers me most are those people seeking affirmation of the latest widget they are about to purchase, or did on impulse the day before. Or they will ask for a definitive answer to "Is the Denon XYZ30495 the best DVD/receiver/amplifier money can buy?". Thank god I can rest assured that I am not one of those "post hogs" with about 80 posts in two years. Maybe I'm guilty of not contributing enough?!?

"It seems much more like the Klipsch Fraternity than anything else."

Guilty as charged - but I don't consider that a bad thing.

When I found this forum over a year ago, I thought I had found the holy grail of audio (from the POV of a Klipsch wannabe). From the first day, I see folks selling Cornwalls and talking all things Klipsch. The relaxed, friendly, and informal atmosphere was a welcome departure from other forums I visited - heavy handed and moderated, mass ridicule for "stoopid" questions, mass ridicule for Klipsch in general.

For me, this was a better place to get answers to my questions, and update myself from a 10 year hiatus from the audio hobby. From my very first post, I was met with welcome and I hit the jackpot: A pair of beloved Cornwalls. After 15 years of wishing, I had a pair in one day!

That became the start of something much bigger. Those Cornwalls now share the room with three other Klipsch, again here because of this forum. My entire system is here because of this forum - it has been the roadway to sonic bliss for me. No salesperson has ever given the quantity and quality of information garnered here - or such good deals on gear!

While it is true that this forum has it's warts, I believe there is some benefit to those warts as well. While the search function does leave much to be desired, the members don't seem to mind the repetitious questions as much as other places - and don't mind answering to them either. Since my search for gear has ended for the forseeable future, I am on the "answer" side of the equation more these days. I see this as my way of giving back to the community that has given so much to me. When I first came here, I wasn't ridiculed, run off, or otherwise derided for being a "newbie" - and so I wish to offer that same welcome (and answers to those repetitious questions) as was done for me.

This informal atmosphere has also helped to develop friendships that no other forum can boast. Let's face it - Klipsch is in our blood. In that respect it certainly is a fraternity here, but one that is easy to join and be initiated. It is the most inclusive fraternity that I've ever seen - all that is required is a like or interest in Klipsch.

It is my sincere hope that the warts of the forum does not drive one to find "greener pastures" on the other side of the cyberfence. Mobile Homeless may not realize the scope of what he has perpetuated here. The few months absence from the forum was a "down" time in two channel - I can't tell you how many times people said "wish Mobile was here". While my "steroid driven, SS amplified home theater" path is not MH's chosen path, I still read what MH has to offer, since I do expect that advice to be useful someday - albeit in the more distant future. I've already got tangible benefit in my system too because of MH - thanks to the Rega Planet and associated interlinks.

So I say to the forum that despite the warts, I still like it here. Despite the warts, I see the cup as mostly full. I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe a better search function), for fear of losing the good that has been built here. I say "be careful what you wish for". I see the friendships, informality, and freedom of opinion to be this forum's best assets. I like it just the way that it is - warts and all.

As for the poster monikers - I resemble my moniker (Freak). In fact they can just leave it in the perpetual state of "Freak". If the shoe fits, I'll wear it.

No forum is perfect, and they all have their problems. At least this one isn't primarily composed of anal inmates.

There is a good balance here, and generally -- most opinions are backed by some form of reason based on facts, instead of raw emotion.

I do wish we had some kind of newbie FAQ's link on the 2 channel forum. It would contain a list of the 10 or 15 most commonly asked questions, as well as some general advice regarding vintage and modern tube amp purchases. We could also include links to other sites where they could get a general education on tube gear and tube types.

I personally don't understand the posts dealing with multichannel receivers, as this is the TWOCHANNELFORUM.

YES! FAQ! This would go a long way in reducing the number of redundant posts. An FAQ for this 2-channel forum, or for the other forums as well, would be great. It would take some doing but putting together a nice PDF would be sweet. I'd volunteer to collect the stories, facts and photos and do the organization and layout, but it would take a while. Something with a summary of all the Klipsch products in a table (years built, horns, drivers, cross-overs, finishes) as well as general tube and SS 2 channel info, CD player section and interconnect info. A speaker wire guide could also be in there, but probably as an appendix since this would make up the bulk of the document.

I appreciate this forum and the folks who do share their knowledge and experience. I will admit, my first time on was after I ordered my KLF-30's and had some angst about dropping all that dough on speakers I hadn't really listened to closely for a while (I had heard them years before). Since that time I've learned tons about the entire audio chain. So here I am with Cornwalls, better interlinks, B&K power amp and I'm patiently looking for a Rega Planet CD player and considering a tube pre-amp and maybe a tube power amp. I would have had no knowledge of these things (except the Cornwalls, I had a pair 13 years ago for 12 months and, let me tell you, once I heard 'em I was hooked. I didn't realize this until 18 months ago when I got the KLF's.) except for this forum which I really appreciate. (My wife would no doubt have a different opinion about this forum.)

As a lurker here, I really must say "thank you".

Mace

For better or worse, I think folks tend to hang out in places where their view of the world finds affirmation. This is not to say that some folks are not up to the good challenge of a provocative conversation, but home is truly where the heart is, and the heart of the 2 channel forum has largely been dominated my the discussion of certain folks passion for tube electronics, and the specific equipment that they enjoy.

This is not to say that the direction of the conversation is "bad", or for that matter, "good", but I have noticed that attempts to raise other conversations in this forum sometime (not always, but sometimes) do not find traction. Some might say that possibly some threads do not gain a following because those topics are either not interesting or, more likely have been beaten to death. The irony there is that other topics certainly have been discussed exhaustively: tube amps.

As for Audio Reality's post, I completely disagree. In some ways, I think this forum has some of the most varied and piercing discussion I have seen.

We have delved into serious discussion on the meaning of audio vs music, equipment vs music, the relation of the hobby vs the music, the discussion of schematics, design, along with the many different topologies of amplification from single-ended to push pull both in solid state and tube form. There are full length reviews of vintage gear as well as NEW gear. I did a three page review of a GREAT solid state offering from Monarchy Audio and have posted dozens of posts on what I believe to be the best options with solid state amps.

We have talked about passive vs active preamps, the role of the preamp, the role of the integrated vs separates, the role of parts in the sonics, along with the role of more vs less parts. We have talked of measurements vs listening in judging amplification. We have talked at length about the design, construction, and layout of a listening room along with the proper placement of speakers in relation to the listening position. We have talked about the idea of soundstaging and imaging vs TONE.

Also, this forum was the first on this board to actively debate the merits of ANALOG vs DIGITAL audio and the pursuit of the best one could get from Analog. We have talked of records, record cleaning machines, the proper method of cleaning, the storage of LPs.....

We have debated digital as used within the computer vs stand alone machines. We have compared MANY types of equipment in head to head battles including non Klipsch subjects. We have questioned our own findings and the findings of others, pushing them (and us) to probe more deeply.

We have spent countless discussions on the design and application of crossovers within the Klipsch Heritage speakers with in depth pictures and schematics. I have posted over 200 photographs of all types of material from amps of solid state to tube to vintage to crossovers to albums covers to wiring to trivia to.... the list goes on and on.

We have had in-depth music recommendations with postings of bands from many genres. We have exposed quite a few to new music both from the Jazz realm along with Classical. We have talked of the roles of audiophile music vs music with soul. We have discussed what defines a good recording vs good music and the roles of each.

Actually, the above two posts seem off the mark as I really think about it, this forum houses the most varied and in-depth discussion I have seen within any of the Klipsch offerings as it combines experience with insight. Actually, the list of subjects within this one forum is often more varied and definitely more in-depth than the general section.

I find Whell's post really troubling since as I remember, we spent a good deal of time trying to find the lad a vintage "Yammy" receiver responding in kind with opinions on the various types as well as other options, some involving solid state and some tubes. As I remember, I dont think much else was brought up from that corner regarding other types of equipment either modern or of the tube variety.

While I sometimes lament the repetition of certain subjects, that is by no means saying that this is all that goes on here. In my opinion, neither of the two posts above actually capture what the two channel is about in its best. To be honest, this place has a real variety of discussion that goes far beyond the simple TUBE AMP domain claimed here.

kh