Pssst.... hey "tool guys".... got a question for you

Coytee

I'm rebuilding the hydraulic motors on my 15' flexwing mower.  The bolts that hold the motor together are sandwiched between the flanges....and you can't get a socket on six (out of eight) of them.  Those six....if you want to torque them down, needs to be done with a torque adapter like below....

or so I think.

Couple questions...

What else can I use, if not this to extend into a tight (low height) location?  What I'd like to have is simply a 3/4" box wrench that will attach to my torque wrench.  The adapter I have/had is thinner walled than my wrench set.

I HAVE one of these, USA made but not Snapon.  Of course, it broke on me.  I need to get it to 115 ft/pounds.  I didn't get a single bolt tightened down before it snapped.

So I might step up to the plate.  This says it's working torque is 3,500 INCH pounds.  So, looking up a trusty internet calculator, it says 3,500 in/lb equals 291 ft/pounds.

So, this should clearly do it, am I thinking right?

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Spline%2C-Inches%2C-Chrome-(1-2")/1-2"-Drive-SAE-%2324%2C-3%2F4"-Hex%2C-Spline-Torque-Adaptor/SRES24

So now, if this is my answer....  do I buy a single one for this job or do I buy the entire set?

image.thumb.png.50c5815da72e2ec1cb1251da3117925a.pngtor

• Like 1

I'm doing this "now" and the tractor/mower are in my driveway.....so my time to wait is limited.

I "need" a 1/2" drive 3/4" box end (or spline as they call them).

I'll probably just buy a single.  Found one on ebay but his title says 1/2" drive and the body of his description says 3/8" drive.

Dang that's messed up. If the guy can't tell the difference between a big half drive and a household 3/8th that's bad.

I've got several half inch no name fifty year old ones packed away and haven't used them on a car in fifteen years.

Timing is off on this one, one of those good old k-mart actual stainless ones could have been easily shipped to you.

I'm sparse this spring, don't even have wheels right now dude. 

• Like 1

Crows foot is too short AND I snapped the one I had attempting to loosen them.  Finally had to sandwich the pump under my backhoe stabilizer to hold it tight enough then I used a box wrench and a five pound hammer

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

Finally had to sandwich the pump under my backhoe stabilizer to hold it tight enough

For some kicks & grins.....who needs a vice I ask!!!!?

Needed some leverage to hold it while I tried to loosen the bolt so tried in vain to leverage it against front tire....  didn't work, then my light bulb went off.

Edit to add:  I don't know why the pictures don't show in the same order I posted them.

7.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 2

Here's what you do. Using a regular combination wrench and your torque wrench, teach yourself how much pressure to apply to the wrench for proper tightening. So torque a bolt to 110 lbs and finish it off to what you think is needed with the combination wrench to 115 lbs. Check it with the torque wrench. You'll be surprised at how close you can get with the feel. Install and torque all bolts possible this way. Then finish off those few bolts with just the combination wrench and your newly calibrated brain. Job done.

Remember, the most amazing tool you will ever own is you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Here's what you do. Using a regular combination wrench and your torque wrench, teach yourself how much pressure to apply to the wrench for proper tightening. So torque a bolt to 110 lbs and finish it off to what you think is needed with the combination wrench to 115 lbs. Check it with the torque wrench. You'll be surprised at how close you can get with the feel. Install and torque all bolts possible this way. Then finish off those few bolts with just the combination wrench and your newly calibrated brain. Job done.

Are you calling Coytee a tool, lol?

Apart from that, the method sounds sensible.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Remember to recalibrate yourself every five years. What feels like 100lbs of torque at 30 is about 35lbs at 60. 

Not my personal experience, just observing my friends getting old.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Coytee said:

For some kicks & grins.....who needs a vice I ask!!!!?

Needed some leverage to hold it while I tried to loosen the bolt so tried in vain to leverage it against front tire....  didn't work, then my light bulb went off.

Edit to add:  I don't know why the pictures don't show in the same order I posted them.

7.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

I like your creative improvisation of vice substitutes.  Very resourceful.  Have you thought of enquiring at your friendly dealer to see how they do this job?  It must come up sometimes, so at least one of the mechanics should know how to do that particular job.  And is there a factory special tool to do the job?

As for the sequence of the pictures, I'd guess that after the first picture, the following ones are added above the previous ones, so if you post them 1-2-3-4-5, then they appear as 5-4-3-2-1, with 1 at the bottom, then 2 above it, and so on.

Good luck with the job!

Not that you need to be this precise on this but unless the 'adapter' is clocked 90 degrees to the torque wrench the overall effective length / torque is changed.

• M1 = M2 x L1 / L2

Where:

• M1 is the torque setting of the wrench
  • M2 is the actual torque applied to the nut
  • L1 is the normal length of the wrench
  • L2 is the extended length of the wrench

Technical%20Torque%20Wrench%20Extension%

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Check it with the torque wrench.

Thing is....  if you look at the bolts under the flange, there's no room to get the torque wrench along with the drive socket in there.  It has to be short.

In fact, you can see two bolts that are hanging upside down.  They're a real rubik's cube....  Though you CAN get those hanging (and the ones under them) out, you have to get everything in precisely the exact location and then you have to twist your head 39 degrees from due north, less a 3 degree twist east.....and THEN you MIGHT be able to get them out.  I finally just left them in (all four, the uppers and lower).  No way the torque wrench will fit in there.  The box end barely fits and I'm using the open end to do the general tightening of them then changing over to the box end to snug them up as they now await being torqued down.

As an update, I've ordered the Snapon version of this tool.  Ebay guy corrected his listing and was asking $50.  Snapon themselves were asking $60 so I figured for the extra $10 I'll be sure to get new....  they wanted $15.00 for shipping, then sales tax...  it was pushing $85 out the door so I cancelled that and paid the $4.00 shipping from Ebay.

Just hope it doesn't break on me.  

Signed,

The Tool

:emotion-21:

Some people think they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo clever.... :emotion-19:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Mike, my fix for that is always use the extension at a 90 degree angle. Adjusted valves on a Cummins engine that way, never had an issue. I guess it was close enough.

At the school house a lot of folks thought they had to perform the calculation when using an extension between wrench and socket. Since this does not increase the 'arm' there is no difference in applied torque. Application is only needed when the arm is shortened or lengthened. For the most part the difference falls with the allowed range but we deal with some torques as low as 3 inch lbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Coytee, it looks like you can get to 4 of the bolts straight on with the torque wrench? That's where you get your education. Then tighten all else with the combination wrench only. Use that calibrated brain for those.

• Like 1

Only two are a genuine straight shot.

I've already ordered the extension....  so will rebuild the third motor (and possibly the pump) and get them together while awaiting its arrival, then double check everything.