The Amazing Autotransformer

Langston

18 hours ago, 83 LSIs said:

@RobMarshall

Do you use subwoofers with the H4s?

I haven't.  But funny thing, I just saw your message and also just this second sat down to the PC to start looking for a good sub.  My DAC/preamp has a pair of balanced outputs available; or I would have to use a splitter on the RCA's to connect to a subwoofer.   Please share any thoughts you have about how it should/would/might work.  Thanx. Rob

21 hours ago, RobMarshall said:

I was thinking of something that could lower the gain to either the squawker or the tweeter. 

I will try to come over next weekend. I will bring my Figured Walnut Heresy and a few amps. I was hoping that you could bring your speakers here because of the room treatment I have and the amps we could try. If you have hardwood floors and or reflective surfaces, and or if your room has equal walls (a cube), then that would cause problems. 

3 hours ago, RobMarshall said:

I haven't.  But funny thing, I just saw your message and also just this second sat down to the PC to start looking for a good sub.  My DAC/preamp has a pair of balanced outputs available; or I would have to use a splitter on the RCA's to connect to a subwoofer.   Please share any thoughts you have about how it should/would/might work.  Thanx. Rob

RME ADI 2 FS dac/pre

Not a lot of XLR subwoofers so xlr to rca cables for sub, rca for both with Y cables, or subwoofers with speaker level inputs.

If going from an XLR OUTPUT to a RCA INPUT be careful how you hook that up. I have no idea what the circuit topology of the RME DAC is but if the Minus output (usually pin 3) of the XLR is an active signal you do not want to tie to ground on your unbalanced RCA input. Much safer just to Y off the RCA output. Then use the subs LP filter control.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Or get some transformers... but they could be pricey.

Oh, no. Heaven forbid you might have to spend more than Lunch Money for anything that works well in audio.

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Oh, no. Heaven forbid you might have to spend more than Lunch Money for anything that works well in audio.

A two channel Jensen IsoMax is over $200, with amazing specs. Yes, more than most lunches. 

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

A two channel Jensen IsoMax is over $200, with amazing specs. Yes, more than most lunches. 

Unless it's a very, very fine lunch with a few friends & a large bar Tab!