Safe Listening Levels (db)

Chris Robinson

One of our dear friends on this board has tinnitus, a condition with which I was not familiar until this afternoon. I went to the internet and found the following which I wanted to share with you.

I think there are a few of us who might push the envelope, and I wanted to tell you guys to TURN IT DOWN!!

There ... I said it ... I feel better now.

I need a hug.

------------------------------------------------------

The American Tinnitus Association is committed to funding research for tinnitus treatments and relief. ATA also believes in preventing and reducing the debilitating effects of tinnitus through education and awareness. One way to accomplish this is by encouraging healthy hearing habits

Hearing conservation means protecting your ears from excessively loud sounds. Examples of everyday sounds and their decibel levels are below. Earplugs are recommended when you are exposed to sounds of 85 dB and above. As a general rule, if noise is too loud for you to speak at a normal conversation level and be heard, you should wear earplugs, move away from the noise source, or better yet, turn it down.

More examples of hearing conservation tips are below. Remember that even if you experience tinnitus now, it is never too late to protect your hearing from further damage

Sounds You Live By

Decibel levels of common sounds:

20 - Ticking watch

30 - Quiet whisper

40 - Refrigerator hum

50 - Rainfall

60 - Sewing Machine

70 - Washing Machine

80 - Alarm Clock at two feet

85 - Average traffic

95 - MRI

100 - Blow dryer, subway train

105 - Power mower, chainsaw

110 - Screaming Child

130 - Jackhammer, Jet engine plane (100 ft. away)

140 - Shotgun blast, airbag deployment, firecracker

160 - NOS440 and JCTurboT playing Godsmack and Megadeath

Earplugs are recommended for sounds of 85 dB and above.

------------------------------------------------------

Screaming Child -- 110db

Notice that "Screaming Wife" wasn't on the list. Easily 115db.

This necessitates 120db listening levels from a music reproduction system. Any system not employing Klipsch speakers will subject the audiophile to much more dangerous potential health risks: Brain damage, blindness, and possibly...death.

Seriously though, 95db is tops for me.

When i went to college for my power engineering certificates we had a occupational health and safty spokes person come and give us a talk at great lengths on this topic.

To start with no two people hear the same as well as being subject to the same noises through out the day.

your bodys natural defense against noise is to produce ear wax.That being said , if john doe works in a office all day long and mr smith is operating heavy equipment. When they go home to listen to there klipsch gear (of cource) then one is going to have more protection then the other when it comes to harmfull db levels.

One summer while working on the farm , i had a chunk dislodge in one ear and had to go to the clinic for the shot of warm water in the ear.When i got back to the tractor the noise gave me a headache.

your body has a way of adjusting to long term exposure to db levels. not to say thats a good thing.

Tinnitus is very common among earphone/headset wearing or repetitive high volume "tube" stereo listeners. I have it due to my occupation. My wife many times has tried to get me to wear ear protection but then I could not hear the timbre differences between solid tooth matter and decay.

The wife is an "industrial hygienist". She deals with decibels, picograms, and rocket fuel vapors and oodles of paper work for Honeywell/NASA.

I've got my La Scala's at about 40 watts to permeate the lower level.

It is a real affliction so people beware. It will drive some crazy hearing the buzz that tinnitus gives when all is quiet and that is all you can hear. I'm fortunate that it just kind is normal to me.

If you have any detailed questions I could ask the MRS for you.

Bryan

I took my spl meter and was supprised to realize that when I have my heresies cranked loud blasting the stones or AC/DCand I am shaking the floor(which is the concrete slab my apartment complex sits on) I am only hitting about 90dB.

It's nice to know that even when it seems loud it's not that bad.

Peace, Josh

Thanks for the support Chris. I don't know that my tinnitus developed from music listening or not. It started at the very end of the week long vacation I took to get acquainted with my new turntable and vinyl.

I read up on Tinnitus, or "T" as the long time afflicted refer to it. It's a big mystery with no known cure. Sometimes it just goes away just like it started. I read many people have it and have just learned to live with it.

It hasn't gone away yet for me. It seems to be mostly in the right ear and varies in intensity.

I did manage to take my own self administered hearing test. Using headphones and a program I found to generate the various test frequencies, I was able to determine that I did have a slight loss at about 1500 - 3000 Hz in the right ear and also about 12000 Hz the right ear dropped off. Could not hear past 14000 Hz in either ear. I tested my wife for reference and I could hear higher frequencies then her. She could not hear past 12000 Hz in either ear.

I visited my doctor, but he didn't find anything wrong. Basically said come back in a month if it's still there and he'll check for nerve damage.

It's basically a pain in the a s s and because it's always there can drive someone nuts. Mine is not loud enough to do that, but it is very annoying to say the least.

Here are some links for reference.

http://www.tinnitus.org/

http://www.tinn.com

http://www.bixby.org/faq/tinnitus.html

http://www.ata.org/

http://www.hearusa.com/tinnitus/tinnitus_home.html

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

http://www.tinnitus-pjj.com/

- tb

Hello Chris.

Nice thread.

I posted a similar thread a month or so ago.

Good job.

IMO. This topic should be regularly discussed.

It is extremely important that we all try to maintain what health our ears have left.

So keep it cool, and no tinnitus for you.

BTW. You forgot the top and bottom of the scale.

0db -absolute silence.

Threshold of hearing

10db - soundproof room

Whisper, Rustle of leaves.

194db - Saturn Rocket

50# of TNT at 10ft.

225db - Deafening

12" cannon at 12ft, in front and below.

Silence is golden.

John.

TB

Thats terrible.

My mom suffers from this. She says hers is a loud whomp, whomp sound. Describes it like a Helicopter hovering over the house all the time. It started out of the blue. I do not think hers was from loud music or loud sounds. She was a stay at home housewife. The loudest environment for her was the weekly vacume.

The sound in her head almost drove her insane, having to live with it day and night. It took some time, and medication but she has learned to live with it.

JM

JM - That sounds pretty bad. It's great that she has been able to cope with it. As I understand it, the sounds and intensity vary wildly between people. Many people have resorted to anti-depressants and such. Luckly for me, mine is subtle enough to allow me to sleep at night.

A running HEPA air cleaner helps to drown out the sound. If it were any louder things could be much worse for me.

- Tim

I think the importance of the subject can not be overstated. Humor just distracts from the importance.

Maybe young ears can tolerate higher dB, and perhaps aging is evidence of "If it's too loud, you're too old."

Nonetheless. Most rock concerts I go to sound too loud and I stuff spitballs in my ears. It sound better that way. Some movie theaters and bars have the same problem. And I do put fingers in my ears for passing El trains and fire trucks.

I've never found any high dB to be worth listening to for the esthetics.

There is a cumulative damage to hearing sort term, and I wonder about it long term. So it is wise to not overdose and keep our ears in tip top shape, just in case there is something coming up soon worth hearing with acuity.

Gil.

I didn't think of this when starting this post, but my dear father-in-law, a retired AF Colonel, is basically deaf ... from sitting on runways in EB-66 and B-47s, loaded up with nukes during the Cold War.

He did nothing wrong but lived with chronicly high db levels ... and we stand 3' apart and he can't hear me.

It's true ... be careful.