Hoping to improve my '75 La Scalas

Squishman

7 hours ago, Squishman said:

Willing to consider changing out any components to make these sound as good as they possibly can. 

The first question that should have been asked is what is your goal? More bass? Less midrange? An overall more balanced sound?

The “upgrades” you have are common and a step in the right direction, but not necessarily the correct direction. It all depends on what you are looking for. 

The tweeter driver is good. The DE120 is top notch. The horn is also good. The Atlas PD5VH is nearly identical to the OE Klipsch K55V, no issues there. 

The LaScala needs a subwoofer to round it out. It does not have much response below 100Hz. 

If you think the midrange is a bit hot, you can attenuate it by moving the midrange from tap #4 to tap #3 and changing the capacitor from 13uF to 6.5uF. Do some research on “T2A autoformer”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squishman said:

One thing just came to mind.... perhaps my surrounds are just overly bright. That is indeed a possibility. . Any thoughts on this? 

That was going to be my suggestion. You modified the Minimus 77s so there's no telling whether they have accentuated high end response or not. For the same reason, as far as I'm concerned, the LaScalas were modified too and no longer being original, you don't know whether the tweeter response has been attenuated as a result.

Honestly; I think if you're using the speakers as a home theater setup, get a matched set of whatever and be done with it. I see that as the only way to get a balanced response to the system.

Does your home theater receiver have provisions to tone adjust the surrounds separately from the main speakers? If so, you could try balancing your speakers through that menu.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curious_George said:

The first question that should have been asked is what is your goal? More bass? Less midrange? An overall more balanced sound?

The “upgrades” you have are common and a step in the right direction, but not necessarily the correct direction. It all depends on what you are looking for. 

The tweeter driver is good. The DE120 is top notch. The horn is also good. The Atlas PD5VH is nearly identical to the OE Klipsch K55V, no issues there. 

The LaScala needs a subwoofer to round it out. It does not have much response below 100Hz. 

If you think the midrange is a bit hot, you can attenuate it by moving the midrange from tap #4 to tap #3 and changing the capacitor from 13uF to 6.5uF. Do some research on “T2A autoformer”.

Just comparing to my surrounds. The surrounds are brighter. Perhaps overly bright. Tomorrow, I will try A/B against my Heresy III's. Should reveal a lot I think. Bass is not the issue with my world-class HSU 12" sub. 

4 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

That was going to be my suggestion. You modified the Minimus 77s so there's no telling whether they have accentuated high end response or not. For the same reason, as far as I'm concerned, the LaScalas were modified too and no longer being original, you don't know whether the tweeter response has been attenuated as a result.

Honestly; I think if you're using the speakers as a home theater setup, get a matched set of whatever and be done with it. I see that as the only way to get a balanced response to the system.

Does your home theater receiver have provisions to tone adjust the surrounds separately from the main speakers? If so, you could try balancing your speakers through that menu.

I am a big fan of actually hearing my surrounds. I like these a lot even though they are not Klipsch. I have that covered with the 3 up front, but not the heights. Tomorrow will reveal a lot!

Are the La Scalas only for movies or are you looking for great sounding music as well? In my experiences with 1970s vintage belles and khorns, music doesn't sounds good being played through a home theater receiver. If you were looking for great sounding music, I'd look for a dedicated stereo receiver with an amplifier switch so the La Scalas could go back and forth easily and safely from home theater to stereo.

1 minute ago, dtr20 said:

Are the La Scalas only for movies or are you looking for great sounding music as well? In my experiences with 1970s vintage belles and khorns, music doesn't sounds good being played through a home theater receiver. If you were looking for great sounding music, I'd look for a dedicated stereo receiver with an amplifier switch so the La Scalas could go back and forth easily and safely from home theater to stereo.

Referring exclusively to 2 channel music listening. Or 2.1 I should say, because I do use my sub for music. With movies, I look for clear dialog, which the HP-201 does a nice job. 

8 hours ago, Squishman said:

Tweeter and xover are Crites. Woofers are original. Thanks!

the AA network that came as original equipment  in these Lascala Speakers is the most preferred klipsch network  for LS 1st generation speakers , and  therefore removing the AA network was definitely a step in the wrong direction

here is a Video of the latest Lascala AL5  , the speakers you own are definitely not as good , but they do have 75% of it's potential-

-

52 minutes ago, 000 said:

but they do have 75% of it's potential-

Not with a mid tier HT receiver they won’t. 

A video with $15K or more in the equipment rack. 

I’ve tried several “nice” HT receivers, and I say why bother - unless all you do is movies, at which point I think an entry level build version of the AA isn’t exactly going to make an earth shattering difference. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deang said:

Not with a mid tier HT receiver they won’t. 

A video with $15K or more in the equipment rack.

you're right , it's quite an expensive setup  , quality Stereo  sound does come at a price -

• Like 1

It was a fantastic experiment to A/B against the Heresy III's, but with a bad result. I put on some Steely Dan and the HIII's sound perfect with great highs and the squaker has great output. The La Scalas are indeed muddy and missing any high-end. Putting my ears to the squakers, the output is less than 50%, same with the tweeters. Both left and right La Scalas are performing identically. 

Then I decided to reverse the speaker outs on my AVR. The La Scalas came to life and the HIII's are now the muddy ones. So it is the amp! No I need to determine if it is a setting or if it's defective. 

It was a simple volume situation. In comparing with the Onkyo function where you can set any pair as mains, my surrounds are turned way up. So I deceived myself! 

I am glad I posted since you guys pretty much confirmed there was nothing obvious about my La Scalas that are problematic and that is also good to know. 

If I did go with a tube amp or a high-end SS two channel amp for music listening, how would I tie that in with the Onkyo, because I need the whole system functioning for TV purposes. Also definitely need to go 2.1 for music so any amp would have to accommodate that. Seems cumbersome. Is it possible? 

9 minutes ago, Deang said:

So you are going back and forth between Zone 2 and your Fronts to do this A/B? 

No. It is a function on the Onkyo tablet app, where you can set any pair (surrounds, heights) as mains. So doing that, I had much more output when I clicked to set the surrounds as mains (when I brought out my HIII's, I connected them to the surround outs), forgetting that I have them turned up because I like hearing more surround whilst watching movies, etc. For, me, that app function is not something I use commonly. It is just for fun. But using it, I definitely deceived myself.