Josh’s Super Heresy build

Invidiosulus

Rather than continuing to muck up Claude’s thread with nonsense about what tweeter I like, I thought I would put all my stuff over here. 

My current plan, as it exists in my head, is to eventually have the APT-150 tweeter, K700 mid horn, and whatever desirable woofer I end up going with all stuffed into my 1981 Heresy cabs.

At this point it looks like the Kappalite 3012HO gets the nod so that’s what I’ve got in mind as far as physical measurements go when laying this out.

Because the APT-150 horn is so much larger than the stock tweeter, a new motorboard will be in order to make everything fit.

The APT-150 horn is much taller than the K77 or the CT-125 horn I am presently using.

Based on my current measurements I can make everything fit vertically as needed if I stagger the mounting of the three drivers with the K700 mounting from the back of the motorboard and the APT-150 and the woofer mounting from the front.

Here is a quick dimensionally accurate layout of the proposed new motorboard that I put together in Illustrator.

Again, just the motorboard, not any of the rest of the cabinet.

7CB28C0C-7BB5-46EA-AAAC-E33843DF4000.thumb.jpeg.b1dce5de7caabcdd8f889bcfab0d40fe.jpeg
Cheers,

JPB

• Like 1

Dumb question

Why not make a cabinet that is 4 inches taller ?

How sensitive is the design to interior volume ?

Are you planning on rear port for lower frequencies

If you go up 4 in

would you still use the same tweeter ?

• Like 1

I built a complete HIP following mostly the Super Heresy recipe. Not much room to improvise. This is with the CT120 tweeter and the Delta 12LFA woofer. I could not change the sizing due to using a set of HIP aluminum trim that a nice member here gave me.  Did you resize your cutout for the woofer as well. I don't think the woofer Claude recommends is the same size as the K22 slightly larger cutout and overall diameter. I know the Delta is larger

.h12.thumb.jpg.8dba5b1cefb9ea278c5541261bc4c601.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I built a complete HIP following mostly the Super Heresy recipe. Not much room to improvise. This is with the CT120 tweeter and the Delta 12LFA woofer. I could not change the sizing due to using a set of HIP aluminum trim that a nice member here gave me.  Did you resize your cutout for the woofer as well. I don't think the woofer Claude recommends is the same size as the K22 slightly larger cutout and overall diameter. I know the Delta is larger

.h12.thumb.jpg.8dba5b1cefb9ea278c5541261bc4c601.jpg

I’m planning on fitting all this in my Heresy cabs, which are admittedly pretty trashed and they were when I bought them 19 years ago but I’m kind of attached to them.

The 3012HO uses an 11.06” cutout(per the spec sheet) compared to the 10.625” cutout on the stock baffle, and yes, my drawings account for the correct diameter of the replacement woofer.

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

Dumb question

Why not make a cabinet that is 4 inches taller ?

How sensitive is the design to interior volume ?

Are you planning on rear port for lower frequencies

If you go up 4 in

would you still use the same tweeter ?

Not a dumb question. I could easily make a new cabinet, and honestly my Heresy cabs are pretty rough so I’ve thought about it.

But, no need for a taller cabinet as I can make it all fit in the existing Heresy cabs with a new motorboard.

My current tweeters in the Heresy are some Crites CT-125 that I bought during one of their first runs back in 2006.

At that time the Eminence APT-150 was using the same driver, made by Tonsil in Poland.

My perception has been that I like the APT-150 horn a little better than the CT-125 horn.

At some point Eminence moved to producing their own version of the APT-50 driver which featured a standard 1-3/8” 18tpi thread.

Bob (Crites) supposedly measured the later Eminence version and said they did not measure as well as the original Tonsil version.

I have a pair of the old style APT-150 that I purchased in 2008 which @Marvel used in his LS for the past decade or longer which now reside in my living room.

The CT-125, APT-50 driver in the Heresy’s.

8B33F946-9A8C-46A8-B834-C1007D4E2138.jpeg.52aa3e04ea23e3f6dcffb5f6018b59c2.jpeg

The old style Eminence APT-50 on the APT-150 horn in the LS. 

E08F4FE5-FF15-401F-8029-5035EDB6F92B.jpeg.fb85bac4c099a99e190bac6497fbe16d.jpeg

All that to say, yes, I would probably use the same tweeter.

yes, the woofer(s) @ClaudeJ1 specs out in the super heresy 2.0 thread are supposed to work well with a rear port in the Heresy sized cab.

About a decade ago while messing around with a cone midrange on a tractrix horn with the heresy I actually experimented with porting the H1 cab out the stock tweeter opening.

The K22 woofer wasn’t ideal for it but it definitely showed promise for porting the Heresy cab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

Since a lot of the human voice will be coming out of the woofer

how does it sound with voice ?

My H1s are loud and clear .....

I haven’t heard it personally but everyone who seems to have tried it really likes it.

My H1’s are pretty great as well.

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

Yes, we have a good friend who has a pair.

How do they sound ?

I recall sampling the entire line, several times at Audio Associates in Wheaton MD.

First purchased Heresys and a Yamaha CR2020

Later a pair of LaScalas

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

How do they sound ?

I recall sampling the entire line, several times at Audio Associates in Wheaton MD.

First purchased Heresys and a Yamaha CR2020

Later a pair of LaScalas

It’s been quite a long while since I’ve heard them as I moved out of state(into a different state) back in 2009.

But I listened to them quite a bit before that and my impression was that they sounded pretty good, a lot like an H2 with more bass but they could get a little boomy sounding.

I thought at the time that some of that was because of the lighter cabinet construction which seemed to resonate a bit.

We were also living in a remodeled chicken coup that had been turned into a triplex and the floor and walls were resonating too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Recall this and, still a good project. Even overlays to make the original cabs sturdy.

I would be tempted if I had a pair. Adding an extra layer to the 1/2” back of my Heresys made a noticeable difference in clarity to the low end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

I would be tempted if I had a pair. Adding an extra layer to the 1/2” back of my Heresys made a noticeable difference in clarity to the low end.

Cool...have some H1s. Looks to me your plan up top is workable. Will follow...