Klipsch RP5000F

Moh

I just switched from Monitor Audio Rx6 to Klipsch RP5000F . I find the sound "thin" and doesn't fill the room as MA's 

I have them set 1 ft from walls , sub crossed at 80HZ , speakers toed in, anything else I can do ?

• Like 1

The room is 15 feet by 30 feet rectangle.  The space I am using for music/movies is one half of the length of the rectangle and the other half is open space with only dining space to the right side of where I am sitting for music. The receiver is Yamaha Rx-V485.

Edited by Moh
  • Like 1

You are right about the driver size.. I am kicking myself for selling the monitor audio's but have to make the best of these. I thought that the main reason for buying speakers with larger driver is for going loud and lower frequencies. I thought why get larger driver since it is more expensive, takes more space, I don't play loud and use speakers set as small crossed over at 80Hz with the sub so I don't even get low frequencies from the mains.

Does the horn tweeter give the impression of less "filling" sound compared to regular dome tweeter?

Does bookshelf speaker with one 6.5 inch woofer give better impression of "coverage of space" compared to floor stander with 2 x 5.25 inch woofers.? 

My speakers are about 8 feet apart.. Will increasing or decreasing the distance between them have a positive impact of what I am trying to achieve.

I sit with 8 feet between the 2 speakers and each speaker is about 12 feet from me.

Thanks.

Edited by Moh

Are your RP5000Fs wired out of phase with each other?

According to the published specs, the RP5000Fs play lower than the RX6s (35 vs 38Hz), and the RX6s don't even list a +/- range.

Could be Monitor Audio doesn't list a tolerance because they exaggerate the low end, and what you may be hearing with the RP5000Fs

is a flatter low end response. To more substantiate my theory, notice Monitor Audio lists the high end frequency response of the RX6 as 35kHz.

Really?

A larger woofer doesn't necessarily mean lower bass response. The Klipsch Heresy is a perfect example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moh said:

I have increased the crossover to 90 Hz . Not sure how much difference but I sense it has made some.

I would up sub to 120 hz and listen. Then, would lower it to 40 hz and listen 

Then I would shut sub off and listen.

Plus 1 on making certain wiring is correct. 

Hi there.

Try to place RP5000Fs in the corners of the room and point them towards the listening position. Start as close to wall as possible and pool out. You will get the sense of how they respond to placement. At some point they should sound good enough.

Pool the speakers away from corners at small increments until the sound the best. To me it looks like the balance issue. Such small speakers in larger rooms tend to sound tiny if pooled out in the room to much, the bass looses boundary gain and they sound just thin.

Your previous Monitor Audios have much more in that upper bass  and mid-range region than Klipsches, so no wonder that you are not satisfied. But all is not lost. Try to experiment and do not give up yet.

Do you have the center-channel speaker in your system? If not, that might fill the gap.

Hi,

How do you know if monitor audio have more mid range and upper base. My Yamaha amp has EQ function where I can adjust EQ.. Can I make some changes here to bump up the mid range ? Yes I have a centre.. but during home theatre use , I don't notice much concern..only in stereo play.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I have auditioned a couple of Monitor audio speakers, bronze, silvers, bookshelves, floorstanders, cheap and very expensive ones.

I almost bought Silver 100 for 2-channel listening.

I also auditioned many Klipsch speakers (RF, RP line), except Heritage line as these are not very common in dealerships.

I own a pair of RF 42IIs for almost 11 years, these are similar to your RP5000s in build and also acoustically as per your description.

Recently I auditioned RP8000F, and these did not lack mid-range.

You should be able to smooth out the sound with receiver EQ settings, and having a center channel between two floorstanders should help.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, Moh said:

I don't play loud and use speakers set as small crossed over at 80Hz with the sub so I don't even get low frequencies from the mains.

Thanks.

You've cut out all of the bass from your mains and wonder why they sound "thin?" Try running them full range absolutely no need to cross them over so high unless you are really cranking them up. 

• Like 1

Running them full range and Base boost on my receiver to "on" otherwise no base goes to the sub when I change speakers to "Large" on my yamaha receiver.

Boy..there is a lot to learn on how to get the most pleasing sound. Moving speakers around has also been helpful.  My sub has an input that bypasses the sub crossover and I assume would give a cleaner signal to the sub..but I don't know how to restrict the frequencies going to the sub when turning on bass boost thus I have no choice but to use the crossover in the subwoofer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed some bightness in vocals. Almost sounds a bit like a cartoon character singing (if that makes sense) sounds a bit nasal. The vocals don't sound deep. Especially female vocals.

I have EQ setting on yamaha receiver. Is there any frequencies I should boost or reduce on the klipsh RP5000F 

I have Eq sliders on yamaha receiver at following frequencies

63Hz

160Hz

400Hz

1 KHz

2.5 KHz

6.3 KHz

16 KHz

I also have Dynamic Range setting , Adaptive DRC , and Enhancer setting

The odd thing is that I notice this when listening in stereo. The center channel seems better in this regard.

Edited by Moh
  • Like 1