SET Tube Amp For Cornwall's

jcmusic

My friend has a pair of Cornwall's and wants to get a tube amp, I told him that I like the SET sound so that's what he wants to try.

Any advise would be appreciated, I know Cornwall's are rated at 101db but I don't know how many watts would be a good match.

He has a small room if that helps.

Hello Jay- more details are needed such as actual room size, how close to the speakers he sits when listening, type of music, and how loudly he listens.  I’ve done small room CW systems (say 10 x 10) with as little as 1 wpc and it was more than sufficient.  Where is he located?  Perhaps there is someone nearby who can bring over something for him to try out.  Has he tried your amp in his system?

Maynard

• Like 1

Hi Maynard,

Thanks for the reply, no he has not tried my amp in his system. He has just decided to go to a tubed amp. The info you gave will help he sits about 6'-10' away, loudness varies on the music content. Yes I think I may be bring my spare amp over to let him try it.

Jay

59 minutes ago, Bozo73 said:

SEX is rated for 1.5 watts, the SE is rated for 4 watts. I generally listen to folk, jazz and occasional rock from the late sixties to early seventies. I hope this helps.

What are your thoughts on the SEX amp? I've read reviews of it as a headphone amp, but not any of someone using it to power speakers. Have a set of Cornwalls myself, and there's one for sale locally for a decent price. Thanks for any info!

On 1/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, jcmusic said:

My friend has a pair of Cornwall's and wants to get a tube amp, I told him that I like the SET sound so that's what he wants to try.

Any advise would be appreciated, I know Cornwall's are rated at 101db but I don't know how many watts would be a good match.

He has a small room if that helps.

what year are the cornwalls?  i've got some experience with cornwall ivs and just got some cornwall is.  the load seems to be like a 4 ohm load -- i've had the best luck on those taps.  so i'd make sure the SET you're thinking of can handle that.

I have a pair of all-original CIIs in a room that's basically 16' w x 10' d.  I sit 12' from the speakers which are tucked in the corners and are slightly towed in.  There is another small space behind my couch so technically the "room" is larger.  I run Wright Mono7's which are 300B SET.  I listen to rock and acoustic/vocal music.  I prefer a bit more bass, so I use a sub (RSW-10) on low output.  I get more than enough volume from 7 watts, I feel like I listen in the 80-90 db range.

• 1 month later...

I am using Alan Eaton 2A3 SET mono-blocks (3 watts) with my Cornwall IVs.  A fantastic match.  These are self-biasing and have high-end volume controls that work well with the DAC connected directly.  Just phenomenal.  You can read up on SETs at "glows in the dark."