Cornwall CBR or Cornwall III

zotgene

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so I thank all the forum participants in advance.

I know it's a question that has already found answers in many other places on the internet, but I want ask also on the reference forum!!

I found some Cornwall CBR year 82, in excellent condition with everything OK (network, drivers, woods....) for 2000 euros (I'm from Italy).

For 3000 euros I can get Cornwall  3 in good condition too.

In your opinion, is the difference in sound quality worth the 1000 euros? I would prefer the historic CBRs but, in addition to loving a historical heritage to such an extent that I make great sacrifices to buy them, I also like listening to music well.

In short, do I have to choose between history and best sound quality or is great sound quality also in history? (CBR)

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

@zotgene   lets now speak  a little  of the 1982 Cornwall    ,  this was a  transition year  , the speaker shipped  with any of 3 Midrange Drivers  depending on inventory  ,  ( the k-51V was the most common for 1982 ).

1) the K-55V Alnico single phase plug driver   or ,2) the dual phase plug  k-55V Alnico  with solder lugs   or 3)- the K-51V /Ferrite version of the K-55V dual phase plug driver   .

- the  network is the B2  , CBR means Cornwall Birch Raw , the 82 cabinets are  plywood. , the woofer   is the K-33 square magnet , the tweeter is K-77 /EV T35  with the Beryllium copper leads diaphragm   .

2 hours ago, zotgene said:

@OO1 thanks a lot for your answers.

So, the 1982 is not a great year ?

The driver inside the speakers what I looking for are:

K-33-E
K-51-V (Alnico, right?)
K-77-M

network B2

b0265214-f18b-42a9-8758-4e548caa39fb.jpeg

there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1982 cornwall -- it's a great speaker.  the transition comment was not a reflection on the quality -- it was simply because of availability of parts during that period caused some variability between 1981 and 1984 (the economy was horrible during that period).  all of your drivers are ceramic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zotgene said:

K-33-E
K-51-V (Alnico, right?)
K-77-M

network B2

b0265214-f18b-42a9-8758-4e548caa39fb.jpeg

4 hours ago, zotgene said:

K-33-E
K-51-V (Alnico, right?)
K-77-M

network B2

There is no such thing as a lousy sounding Cornwall  ever , + the CW 1 is plywood , but at 2000 Euros , the speaker should be mint  ,

if the 82  is scratched or in need of repairs  ,   you're better off with  the CW III +  you get a more recent  crossover  , the CW III has the woofer placed closer to the HF drivers , the bass is said to be more in your face , so to speak than a CW 1 .

BTW  the K-51V   is a K-55V dual phase plug driver but with a  ferrite magnet  instead of Alnico ,  it was only manufactured in 1982 , and only used for the Cornwall  1982  , this is what makes the 1982 Cornwall  so special .

The drivers and crossovers are great in those ‘82 Cornwalls.

The K51 basically has the same frequency response as the coveted K55V dual phase plug drivers (there are some response curves somewhere on this forum).

The K77M will take more power than the alnico K77, has more extended response, and was considered an upgrade by Klipsch (although the sonic differences are really not all that much - at least to my ear).  

The woofers are the same eminence drivers in use by Klipsch for years and are good.

The  B2 crossovers are considered an upgrade of the B network they replaced; they were designed to address some frequency response issues and better protect the tweeter.  I personally like the B network better, but I am in the minority here. 

The cabinets are high quality, void-free plywood representing great quality, but have a thin layer of birch veneer that more or may not suit your esthetic needs. The Cornwall IIIs are MDF, but probably have pretty veneer. 

Which one to choose, well it depends on what you are looking for. My point is, if you want a Cornwall I, don’t let the 1982 designation deter you; it was a good year. The Cornwall III has some benefits of modern technology, but which one you will prefer will just come down to preferences. 

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Respectfully,

Andy

Edit: I see 001 covered much of what I said while I was still typing. Thank you, 001!

@mustang_flht  I heard the CRB '82 yesterday. They were hooked up to two 12w tube power amps, a nice feeling.... needless to say.

The seller was very kind and helpful but I got scared for one thing: they screamed! The listens I remembered with CIII and Forte III were more "sweet". Surely you can't make a comparison (different amp, source, ambient) but, this and the fact that the speakers, while being perfect for the drivers and all the electronic parts, have some slight chips and stains, made me give up.
I think I will look for CIII if only to have a safer resale

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, zotgene said:

@mustang_flht  I heard the CRB '82 yesterday. They were hooked up to two 12w tube power amps, a nice feeling.... needless to say.

The seller was very kind and helpful but I got scared for one thing: they screamed! The listens I remembered with CIII and Forte III were more "sweet". Surely you can't make a comparison (different amp, source, ambient) but, this and the fact that the speakers, while being perfect for the drivers and all the electronic parts, have some slight chips and stains, made me give up.
I think I will look for CIII if only to have a safer resale

The only time I hear screaming from Heritage speakers is in a room that is too small (wonderful in a large room, screaming in a small room). If the demo room was small, considering taking its size into account. 

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, zotgene said:

thank to everybody.

In fact the room was too small for a pair of Cornwalls but I would have put them in a room just a little bigger so I gave up 😟 .

And now i don't know what  to look for!!

If you desire a Klipsch Heritage Series speaker, get Heresy's, any vintage, and add a subwoofer. You'll have more flexible placement options and take up less space.

And you'll still get that 3-way horn loaded efficient sound.