Sold

Fondool

Man!  A shame if your room, placement, connected gear and of course your ears are not working for ya with this model. We purchased our 1996 manufactured ones in 1998. We even purchased a second set of grills to have that were sent from Klipsch. Luckily, so far no mistakes and have both still. Let us know how it goes!

05A43332d.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fondool said:

No I haven't, I'm a little nervous to crack into them and I've got no experience with doing so. It seems like a lot a Forte/Chorus from this era had the same thing done to them, upgrade the tweeters and crossovers and leave the midrange stock. Was this a Crites recommendation at the time?

I always thought the tweeters were smoother at higher volumes but the crossovers with Sonicaps tend to be very bright and fatiguing at higher levels which is a shame because they sound great at low volumes with lots of detail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

Mike, love the old school rotary phone!

Thanks man! My wife and I love old 'stuff'. Note the 1940 Zenith radio as well. Both work like new and have been repaired and brought to new/working.. The phone (1937 year. Hard stamped at factory inside) is plugged in and is our land line. The insides are beautiful too, even the bell is perfection. Love it! But man it is LOUD. Good for when outside fartin' around. LOL  And by the way. We do have the Crites titanium diaphragms in ALL of our klipsch tweeters. No crossover changes though and we love them just like this too! They've been on most every single day since forever ago now. Just have never had the desire to change a thing since. ( wanted Belles ones...but would never fit in our space....) ...edit: geez...dusty on 'things'. Pics were taken during disking fields. Gets bad around here during cutting too. Clean clean clean!

• Thanks 1

I'd be interested though it would be a couple weekends before I'd be able to venture to Longmont. Would you be willing to bring these to Littleton? I could help you return them to stock as well, that way you could try them out in that configuration before you decide to sell them. Either way, I'd have no hesitation purchasing them. 

On 4/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, Fondool said:

Was this a Crites recommendation at the time?

actually a wrong move ,   installing Aftermarket parts  alters  the sound of   klipsch speakers , the klipsch tweeter diaphragm  material was phenolic or   polymer which result  in a warm  sound  versus a   metallic peaky sound  , the Chorus  crossovers were not designed for Titanium diaphragms .

So I reinstalled the orginal crossovers last evening and listened for a couple hours. I would say the sound has become a bit smoother, less forward and maybe a little less "digital" sounding (a little hard to describe with my limited experience) but certainly a difference in the right direction for my ears. There is for sure a loss in detail at low levels and the sound is a little less focussed but it has helped some with my fatigue issue. I tried to swap one of the tweeters but connection was glitchy when trying to reconnect so I just reinstalled the Ti dome to see the changes the crossover made. I'm going to try the tweeters again hopefully today...any advice for fixing this bad connection from the old tweeter to the wire clip? Maybe they're just shot? Thanks for the help and encouragement everybody.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

I'd be interested though it would be a couple weekends before I'd be able to venture to Longmont. Would you be willing to bring these to Littleton? I could help you return them to stock as well, that way you could try them out in that configuration before you decide to sell them. Either way, I'd have no hesitation purchasing them. 

I'll keep you in mind if these still burn my ears after swapping the original tweeters back in. I'm pretty swamped in the near term so delivery to Littleton might be a bit tough for me. 

• Thanks 1

So I reinstalled the orginal crossovers last evening and listened for a couple hours. I would say the sound has become a bit smoother, less forward and maybe a little less "digital" sounding (a little hard to describe with my limited experience) but certainly a difference in the right direction for my ears. There is for sure a loss in detail at low levels and the sound is a little less focussed but it has helped some with my fatigue issue.

I have found the mid output to be just too high in these speakers dialing them back 2db really helps balance them out for comparison the forte II has a sensitivity of 99db with the same mid dialed back via crossover 10db, the CH-II has a sensitivity of 101db but the same mid is only dialed back 6db per crossover specs I believe this is why many prefer the forte sound over the Chorus but of course there is always the standard variables like rooms and equipment matching, listening habits and what not. It may be that you would enjoy the fortes if you move these and a pair becomes available for a reasonable price.   

So I reinstalled the orginal crossovers last evening and listened for a couple hours. I would say the sound has become a bit smoother, less forward and maybe a little less "digital" sounding (a little hard to describe with my limited experience) but certainly a difference in the right direction for my ears. There is for sure a loss in detail at low levels and the sound is a little less focussed but it has helped some with my fatigue issue. I tried to swap one of the tweeters but connection was glitchy when trying to reconnect so I just reinstalled the Ti dome to see the changes the crossover made. I'm going to try the tweeters again hopefully today...any advice for fixing this bad connection from the old tweeter to the wire clip? Maybe they're just shot? Thanks for the help and encouragement everybody.

More than likely a bad connection on the diaphragm.  A new set would run about $30.00 from Klipsch.  tel:1-800-554-7724  

2 hours ago, Fondool said:

I'll keep you in mind if these still burn my ears after swapping the original tweeters back in. I'm pretty swamped in the near term so delivery to Littleton might be a bit tough for me. 

Sure thing! I'm pretty swamped right now as well but could probably make it there in a couple weekends. Gives plenty of time to get things dialed in and change your mind lol

• Fondool changed the title to Klipsch Chorus iis in CO, $1400
  • Fondool changed the title to Sold