Older vs newer Klipsch, new member.

• Klipsch Employees
5 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Or in other words from what Chief said if you want to hear what the sound engineers at Klipsch liked best at the time your speakers were built stay with authorized parts for replacements.  

Personally I like the concept of simple as it seems PWK did as well. PWK designed crossovers were as simple as one can build with just as few parts as were absolutely necessary. The A crossover network is a work of art. In the AA network a couple of extra parts were added in the tweeter section to protect it better from idiots listening too loud. I like simple. Those steep crossovers an after market vendor sells can suck the life out of the music as many say. In fact a member of this forum just posted pretty much the very same thing after purchasing those expensive networks. Family said he ruined the sound of his speakers. Lot more complicated with many more parts as well. 

I am curious why Klipsch has not gone with active crossovers in the K-horn, LaScala, and Cornwall as done with the new Jubilee. Many prefer active X-overs over passive ones these days. At the asking price of those speakers the cost would not be that great going active on them. 

Patience….

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Patience….

I will take that to mean active crossovers in the works for Heritage speakers. TI hope that will mean there is going to be a way to tailor the sound for your particular room instead of a passive X-over one size fits all rooms. That would be taking speakers to the next level, 21st century technology. 

Being old and perfectly happy with the sound of my AA's in my '86 LaScala's they will not be for me but for a younger audiophile with many working years left having a speaker that one can tailor the sound to the room would be a highly desirable asset. Nelson Pass is a proponent of active crossovers so I am as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

After years in Bands..

I want the real thing. 🙂

Used to feel the same way along with some of my friends but some of them do have hearing loss now since they have gotten older. Just saying is it worth your hearing when you get older? 

• Like 1

If an active crossover is in the works I wonder if it will be analog or digital?

In the link is an analog one by Nelson Pass. It is two way so two would be needed for 3 way system. I have not tried building one myself but it has crossed my mind. Retail active crossovers are pricey. Worth glancing over for those that are not familiar with an active crossover and it's advantages.

https://firstwatt.com/pdf/art_diy biamp_6-24_ crossover.pdf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Used to feel the same way along with some of my friends but some of them do have hearing loss now since they have gotten older. Just saying is it worth your hearing when you get older? 

How might You ascertain the exact cause ??

I was in Bands for 35 years or more

Hearing ain't great But not bad

I am near 70, so done just fine. ,🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

How might You ascertain the exact cause ??

I was in Bands for 35 years or more

Hearing ain't great But not bad

I am near 70, so done just fine. ,🙂

Me too, we are the lucky ones.

You must agree though that research has shown that loud noise damages hearing. I feel a grown person can do as they please as long as it is legal and morally correct. If a grown man, or woman does not want to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle I think it is nobody's business including the government. My head if I want to take the chance but know the hazards of doing so. My feelings exactly about loud music. It's your ears to do with as you choose but be warned young'uns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 3:58 AM, henry4841 said:

You must agree though that research has shown that loud noise damages hearing. I feel a grown person can do as they please as long as it is legal and morally correct. If a grown man, or woman does not want to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle I think it is nobody's business including the government. My head if I want to take the chance but know the hazards of doing so. My feelings exactly about loud music. It's your ears to do with as you choose but be warned young'uns. 

Many decades ago, I noticed that the sound at a big concert was actually distorting in my ears as I sat in front of the speakers.  It was too much, so I tore a dollar bill in two and stuck a half in each ear for relief. It was worth it to me.  A few years later, I discovered foam earplugs, and started wearing them at most concerts and every time I rode my bike, because of the wind noise, even with the quietest helmet. As well, I worked in heavy industry, fixing locomotives and steam turbines, so the earmuffs were always on.  

My hearing still allows me to hear very faint noises, but it often sounds like people are mumbling and I sometimes have to ask them to repeat themselves.  Supposedly, this is typical as we get older, and I am.  Older.  However, with the high definition of my stereo, lyrics sound more clear now than they ever did on the old systems in the car and things like that.  I can't really complain.

Oh yeah, the young 'uns.  I was at a Buzzcocks concert 10 or 15 years ago, and met the son of a buddy of mine.  I offered him a spare pair of new foam earplugs, but he refused them, telling me it was okay, his ears were used to loud sounds.  I was tempted to tell him that was like having your eyes get used to bright light by staring at the sun, but I said nothing.  He'll eventually learn.  Or not.

• Like 5

How many of us have had their ears ringing days after attending a concert?

Been there, done that in my younger days. My hearing is still good from all accounts and I am still told my music is too loud but not to the extreme anymore. I can enjoy my music with a good amp with a large soundstage at a much lower volume now. Big sound at a lower volume does work with the right amplifier. Many have never experienced this and have to crank the volume up before they fill the room with their present amplifier. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, henry4841 said:

Full Face here. ..

Had a number of snowmobile " accidents" that reinforced that choice. 😀

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Islander said:

Many decades ago, I noticed that the sound at a big concert was actually distorting in my ears as I sat in front of the speakers.  It was too much, so I tore a dollar bill in two and stuck a half in each ear for relief. It was worth it to me.  A few years later, I discovered foam earplugs, and started wearing them at most concerts and every time I rode my bike, because of the wind noise, even with the quietest helmet. As well, I worked in heavy industry, fixing locomotives and steam turbines, so the earmuffs were always on.  

My hearing still allows me to hear very faint noises, but it often sounds like people are mumbling and I sometimes have to ask them to repeat themselves.  Supposedly, this is typical as we get older, and I am.  Older.  However, with the high definition of my stereo, lyrics sound more clear now than they ever did on the old systems in the car and things like that.  I can't really complain.

Oh yeah, the young 'uns.  I was at a Buzzcocks concert 10 or 15 years ago, and met the son of a buddy of mine.  I offered him a spare pair of new foam earplugs, but he refused them, telling me it was okay, his ears were used to loud sounds.  I was tempted to tell him that was like having your eyes get used to bright light by staring at the sun, but I said nothing.  He'll eventually learn.  Or not.

Locomotives ??

Ever hear of ALCO Power co ??

Watertown NY

12 cyl engines

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Locomotives ??

Ever hear of ALCO Power co ??

Watertown NY

12 cyl engines

I think ALCO was bought by Montreal; Locomotive Works/MLW, or was it the other way around?  Yes, I have heard of them, but most of those locos were assigned to Montreal, while nearly all the locos in the Toronto area were GM-EMD units.  300 of them were assigned to MacMillan Yard in Concord, just north of Toronto, where I usually worked

I only ever saw one ALCO  unit.  It was just passing through, so we gave it a trip inspection and sent it on its way.

The ALCOs were all 4-strokes, while the GMs were overhead cam 2-strokes, which I thought was pretty cool.  However, according to a buddy who still works there, they didn't meet the latest Level 5 pollution regs, so most CN locos now are made by General Electric.  I've never seen one of those, but he tells me they have electronic fuel injectors, which probably improves fuel economy and exhaust emissions.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Oh ... you didn't go the the "Welcome Back to the Show that Never Ends" ELP tour

Wasn't that the one they did in quad?  Did that in Cleveland stadium.  I think they shovelled me up, bagged me and threw me over someone's shoulder on the way out.  Insane show for sure and one of their best imo.  All about the GONG!  😂

• Like 1