Cornwalls model ID help

Good day folks,

I am new to the community and reaching out from Gander Newfoundland. My reason for joining is, over the last few years have started refurbishing vintage speakers as a hobby.

the other day, these fine Cornwalls (without woofers) rolled into my shop and I couldn’t say no!

The cabinets are in fine shape however, they were painted black at some point but, at least they did a great job with it.

As there are no markings visible other than the model numbers on mids and tweeters but, the woofers that were removed were rear mounted to face so this with size of mid horn and gap between mid horn and woofer leads me to believe after judging by comparing images of different models these seem like original Cornwall’s (1’s)…?

I am trying to determine if I should go with the original woofer or go with upgraded woofer from versions III/IV?

Will also need to repair/make one grill and some minor repairs to one cabinets lower insulation blanket. Other than that sand off that paint and bring the cabinets back to life!

Any and all info, suggestions or feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

cheers

IMG_3093.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

Edited by Scotty Mac
  • Like 1

• Scotty Mac changed the title to Cornwalls model ID help

In the rear plys you will find the serial number stamped.  The letter code denotes the year, the numbers describe the production number.  They are Cornwall Is and most likely had square magnet K-33-E woofers, but the serial number will tell.  The cabinet and ports are tuned for the production woofer, but the earlier woofers all had very similar parameters to the mentioned K-33-E. 

On 7/9/2023 at 7:25 AM, Scotty Mac said:

I am trying to determine if I should go with the original woofer or go with upgraded woofer from versions III/IV?

Will also need to repair/make one grill and some minor repairs to one cabinets lower insulation blanket. Other than that sand off that paint and bring the cabinets back to life!

to find out the year of the speakers .........look in the rear of the speaker , dead center ,  above the rear door panel , there should be a serial no engraved in the wood  on both speakers - please  post the serial nos 

you're missing the woofers , the new K-33-E is your only option , you can buy the woofers directly from klipsch Canada 

- the badges dont look to be original , take a closer picture ,  to show the badges more clearly 

-you'll need to make new maconite boards for the grilles -try to  clean up the fabric by soaking it  in a bath tub with detergent , then transfer the fabric over to the new   boards 

8 hours ago, JohnA said:
7 hours ago, geoff. said:

6 hours ago, billybob said:

Yes, welcome @Scotty MacMac...

6 hours ago, OO1 said:

Thanks for the replys, much appreciated!

unfortunately there are no visible sign of a serial number stamped on top back edge.

I will look at the crossover next time I’m in there and let you know if I see anything. Speakers are complete except woofers.

I just ordered a new set of K33E, seemed like the mayo replacement, was that a good move?

yes I anticipated making new grills, that’s a great idea to get the cloth off the grills, could I get that same cloth if required?

the badges look aftermarket to me but I’m no expert….?

so they are Gen 1? Must be the commercial model (no veneers, painted black and no riser on bottom)?

the plan is install woofers and see how everything sounds and go from there. I will give the crossovers the attention they need if it’s required or recommend.

as for the cabs, light sand and repaint black OR sand down and veneer and add riser?

thanks again

IMG_3191.jpeg

• Like 1

unfortunately there are no visible sign of a serial number stamped on top back edge.

the markings should be on the left , middle , and right side of the top panel at the rear , most likely painted over .

I just ordered a new set of K33E, seemed like the mayo replacement, was that a good move?   

perfect 

yes I anticipated making new grills, that’s a great idea to get the cloth off the grills, could I get that same cloth if required? 

https://www.wendellfabrics.com/

DIY 

so they are Gen 1? Must be the commercial model (no veneers, painted black and no riser on bottom)?   

Cornwall 1 

the plan is install woofers and see how everything sounds and go from there. I will give the crossovers the attention they need if it’s required or recommend.

OK 

as for the cabs, light sand and repaint black OR sand down and veneer and add riser?   

chemically strip the speakers top  +  sides only  , do not sand  , there may be a very  nice veneer hidden underneath  the black  paint 

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

the markings should be on the left , middle , and right side of the top panel at the rear , most likely painted over .

perfect 

https://www.wendellfabrics.com/

DIY 

Cornwall 1 

OK 

chemically strip the speakers top  +  sides only  , do not sand  , there may be a very  nice veneer hidden underneath  the black  paint 

Thanks for getting back to me with those answers!

The reason I think the cabinets are not veneered is because through the black paint on the top, I could see the edge of the plywood walls…

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Guessing raw birch with a Duratex type finish.

If so, stripping the paint off the top back ege should reveal the sn.

How well do you like black? If youbwant to veneer them I would do either option - strip or sand. They are most likely birch under the paint. If you could cleanly remove the paint, you may be able to stain them.

It just depends on hoew presentable/nice you want them.

I'm guessing they were purchased at the base exchange?

On 7/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Scotty Mac said:

Thanks for getting back to me with those answers!

The reason I think the cabinets are not veneered is because through the black paint on the top, I could see the edge of the plywood walls…

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

the stamps they are talking are on the back of the speaker along the top lip, above the terminal strip where you connect the speaker wire.  (in the pics of the backs, i can't see the stamps -- not close enough shot).  there may be other stamps along the back lips, but the ones above the terminal strip will be the serial number.

as was mentioned, they're definitely cornwall 1s.  since you can see the wood seams across the top, they are/were raw birch.  you wouldn't be able to see that seam if they were oak or walnut.

you made the right choice with the k33 woofers.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:09 AM, Marvel said:

If so, stripping the paint off the top back ege should reveal the sn.

How well do you like black? If youbwant to veneer them I would do either option - strip or sand. They are most likely birch under the paint. If you could cleanly remove the paint, you may be able to stain them.

It just depends on hoew presentable/nice you want them.

I'm guessing they were purchased at the base exchange?

Thanks for the reply.  I am sure the serial number will reveal itself once I get into this project. I am sure the birch ply would clean up nicely just be left with the exposed edges. I do have to time, patience and “skills” to go through the veneer process… but, as you indicated, how far do I want to take this and what’s my end goal.

things to consider before I get started on them.

4 hours ago, jcn3 said:

the stamps they are talking are on the back of the speaker along the top lip, above the terminal strip where you connect the speaker wire.  (in the pics of the backs, i can't see the stamps -- not close enough shot).  there may be other stamps along the back lips, but the ones above the terminal strip will be the serial number.

as was mentioned, they're definitely cornwall 1s.  since you can see the wood seams across the top, they are/were raw birch.  you wouldn't be able to see that seam if they were oak or walnut.

you made the right choice with the k33 woofers.

I appreciate the info!

I will come across the serial number soon.

I think I will atleast sand down to expose raw birch cabs then decide if I; leave as is, paint black again or veneer.

14 hours ago, Scotty Mac said:

I will come across the serial number soon.

you may , or you may not have engraved serial nos  on your cabinets  ,   klipsch stopped punching the serial no  etc .  during the early 80's  .

• Like 1

When my older son gave me a set of Heresy IIs, they were devoid of identificaction/sn info. I pulled a woofer from one and found a dated inspection sticker inside the cab. No exact date or serial number, but close enough for me. I don't listen to serial numbers... 🤣

• Haha 1

Hey folks,

thanks again for all the reply’s. I will be soon starting another thread as I move forward on the restoration. Before I do thought I would share some unfortunate news, my K33e  woofers arrived today…. One was dented on outer ring at screw hole and the other had a considerable amount of light surface scratches on the back for a new woofer. I reached out to seller and they immediately replied concerned. Anyway, long story short, not a big deal and waiting to see how it plays out. I’m not too concerned as I am not ready to install the woofers at the moment anyway.

Cheers

IMG_3245.jpeg

Edited by Scotty Mac