Wood for Klipsch Cornerhorns

Toby001

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

unfortunately, I have to realize that it's not easy to find a carpenter who can manufacture the necessary parts in a CNC machine for me. Additionally, I discovered that Klipsch, especially in the earlier years under Paul, even used bone glue to ensure good sound transmission within the enclosure. A rigid and vibration-free cabinet was not the goal. Given all this information, I believe it's more reasonable to buy a few original pieces. I don't think it's possible to achieve this standard with a DIY for me!

Now, there are two corner horns offered as a pair. However, they don't have matching serial numbers, with one from 1977 and the other from 1974.

Do you think this is a problem? I'm planning to replace the drivers and the horn anyway.

Thany you very much 🙃

Edited by Toby001

1 hour ago, Toby001 said:

with one from 1977 and the other from 1974.

Do you think this is a problem?

No problem...many early Khorns were sold for mono use and later another one added for stereo...cabinets would have the same construction and with identical drivers, Bob's your Uncle.  Also recommended; get a good pair of new or rebuilt factory xovers from @Deang.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, Toby001 said:

Does anyone know if solid wood has ever been used for the Khorn?

Never use solid wood and I say this with some reservations. A real, real talented woodworker could possible work around the expansion contraction of solid wood but it is not something most would ever consider tackling. Plywood, MDF does not have that problem. expansion, contraction. 

• Like 1

I spoke with several professional carpenters and conducted extensive research about wood and its attributes.

Now, I believe that buying old pieces is the best option in terms of quality, cost, and time.

So the question for me is if Klipsch change the cabinet in the time from 1977 and 1974?

Edited by Toby001

• Moderators
1 minute ago, babadono said:

I am not the expert on this but '74 and '77 differences? I doubt there are any.

Me either, certainly not like Andy B. I don’t think they changed the LF cabinet much, if any, from since at least the early 60s up all they way into the 90s.

Other than an enclosed back for an anniversary edition here and there, they seem pretty much identical all the way through. The esthetics on the top hat did change with collars, plain, etc.

Travis

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, Toby001 said:

I spoke with several professional carpenters and conducted extensive research about wood and its attributes.

Now, I believe that buying old pieces is the best option in terms of quality, cost, and time.

So the question for me is if Klipsch change the cabinet in the time from 1977 and 1974?

I think both should be similar.  Did you obtain them?

I was starting to worry that you wouldn't get them Congratulations!

Pictures are always welcome. They can't be too large, but if you use an android phone you can take a pic with a little extra room around it, open it up and click the edit tool. Along the bottom it has 'crop',, click that and take a little off the size. When you save it it gets resample and the size goes down a LOT.

Pictures, we like pictures...

• Like 1