Small Speaker Recommendations

J M O N

I am in need of finding a relatively small speaker system and would like to know if anyone has any good recommendations. I am looking for something under $400 or so, so used is the way I'm planning on going. Heresy's are bigger than what I'd like. They don't have to be Klipsch but they should sound good at relatively low volumes. I'm kinda thinking something on the order of monitor-type speakers.

I've been a fan of Boston Acoustics; I have a pair of A-40s that I like pretty well. They are a 2-way with a 6" woofer. I have a pair of Auratone 5CTVs that have a stunning stereo image and are a 7" cube, 2-way system. They are $$ and shielded. The Auratone 5C is the most popular studio comparative mix-down monitor. The 5C is a 4" one-way that sounds pretty bad, like Blose, but it's supposed to.

Klipsch makes an RB-3 and the SB series. One of them will surely fit.

What do people think of Cambridge Soundworks? I'm under the impression that they try to create many products to directly compete with Blose, but which are clearly better. They have a number of mini-small speaker systems that look pretty good, but I haven't heard them.

Look into the a/d/s L210's or L310's, awesome sound out of a tiny enclosure. The 310 is 9" X 6" X 9" and sounds much much larger, the sound is crisp and clear and the bass response it tight. a/d/s has been making these high quality mini speakers since the 70's and they are certainly worth considering. The 310's actually retail above $500 but can be had for about $300 or so.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've actually been thinking about all of them, trying to see what can be found used. The RB-5 is one I've been thinking about for a while. That is approximately the size I'm looking for. However, I ran across a pair of low priced Thiels that are interesting. They are actually mini-towers, but they have a small footprint so I think I can handle the size. Yeah, these are almost the complete opposite sound of Klipsch, but that is probably what I'm looking for anyway since I will have to do all my listening at relatively low volumes. I have heard Thiels before and thought they sounded good.

JMON : Number 1 where are these speakers going to go and what purpose are they going to serve ?

1) room size

2)volume level (low i believe you said)

3)type of music

4)what are you going to drive them with

5) type of music reproduction you prefure

once you answer all these questions honestly , you'll have narrowed down the playing field.

Put a watch on Ebay for "Frazier." If you love Klipsch, you will love Frazier. Classic Fraziers from the 60's and 70's are awesome, and go cheap because few know how great they are. They match perfectly with Klipsch both sonically and efficiency wise. Recently, a pair of Dixielanders in near-mint went for 250.00. Fully horn loaded and smaller than Heresies. I picked up a pair of Monte Carlos recently in mint condition for 70.00 delivered. They now reside as rear speakers (passive ambience recovery ala DynaQuad) where they match the efficiency and sound of my 'horns perfectly. A Super Midget, slightly larger than a shoebox, comprises my center channel in my HT setup flanked by Heresies, also an excellent acoustic match. In near-mint, I paid 20.00 for it including delivery. PWK himself once told me that Jack Frazier was the only other speaker designer of whom he had no serious criticism. He used the Super Midget with a handle to demo corner bass reenforcement at the Hope lab.

I put out a warranty to the DFW Klispch group on the above referenced Dixielanders that I would buy them from anyone who bought them and didn't like them within 6 months. I think that highly of them. Unfortunately, they went "buy it now" before anyone could act. I'd have had them myself except for Christmas strain on the budget.

Dave

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I decided to go ahead and give those Thiels a try. I was able to get them for less than I would've had to pay for a pair of used Heresy's. I am aware of their thirst for power, but I'l see what I can do. I won't be able to play them very loud, so that may not be much of an issue. If it doesn't work out, then it's not that big of a deal as they are only going to be a temporary music source for me while I am working a contract job away from home (and away from my Khorns). As long as they sound better than the harman/kardon computer speakers I have now, I probably won't complain too much. I did find them on Audiogon. I did look for Frazier also, but didn't seem to find much. I also considered those Fraziers for $250, but the timing just wasn't right for me. Had they been available now, they would likely be mine. Well, hopefully I can make these work out. In a way, I'm actually interested in trying out something that is pretty much the exact opposite of Khorns.