New amp about to ship

Shakeydeal

Thanks. I was a little apprehensive about the power output in the beginning because my room is on the larger size and I listen at pretty loud volumes at times. But Aric assured me this is no ordinary 300B amp and you can see how much detail has gone into the power supply. I had him do several upgrades over the standard amp he builds, it should be a beast. Well at least as much of a beast as 9 wpc will get you.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Well I'd imagine this is being setup custom to run with a passive preamp. 1.5v to full power is an awful lot for a passive to muster... 

From the spec page:  "1.5 volt input sensitivity (can be used without a preamplifier if using a high voltage source with a volume control"

I don't write them, I just search and reply with the info I find.

3 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Well I'd imagine this is being setup custom to run with a passive preamp. 1.5v to full power is an awful lot for a passive to muster... 

I agree. In the past I’ve liked to stay at 1v or less. But this works fabulously. I have all the usable gain I need and dynamics are off the chart. I’m very happy with this amp.

15 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I agree. In the past I’ve liked to stay at 1v or less. But this works fabulously. I have all the usable gain I need and dynamics are off the chart. I’m very happy with this amp.

And did you confirm what he set it up at? I bet it's not 1.5 volts to full power. If he knew you were going passive he surely adjusted accordingly. 

No it’s 1.5. We had that discussion during the build process. I have an EL84 amp also built by Aric with 2v input sensitivity and I can get pretty close to running out of gain on some material. The 300B amp seems about right in comparison.

8 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

No it’s 1.5. We had that discussion during the build process. I have an EL84 amp also built by Aric with 2v input sensitivity and I can get pretty close to running out of gain on some material. The 300B amp seems about right in comparison 

What sources are you using? 

I had a less than stellar pairing of a Hattor and my VRD's... while it was fine, it was not stellar.

I found the sound as lifeless and flat... even though the unit was CLEAR.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 12:43 PM, Schu said:

I had a less than stellar pairing of a Hattor and my VRD's... while it was fine, it was not stellar.

I found the sound as lifeless and flat... even though the unit was CLEAR.

Clear, Detail, Resolution is the norm for description of passive preamps. To me they always lack foundation or body they just seem incomplete....  

• Like 3