K-stack crossovers/reboot?

popbumper

Hi everyone, back after a LONG hiatus (nearly twenty years, good GRIEF). For those who were here long ago, my K-stack crossover was introduced circa 2005, and there were plenty of Klipsch fans who showed great interest in the network, which was purchased for many different sets of speakers, including Chorus, Forte, Academy, Cornwall, and others. To those who are still enjoying these networks, cheers....I just set up my long in storage Forte's, and they sound absolutely delightful.

Having had some major changes in my life, including two relocations, I'm thinking on reissuing a new K-stack network, though in honesty I have not yet begun to investigate the logistics. Without even spending much time researching, it is clear that prices for ALL things have increased substantially; a quick review of Parts Express alone revealed that cap prices are DUMB (and back in 2005, I thought they were high 😆. At any rate, I'm only thinking on this topic....I had considered a K-Stack II in a completely different form factor, but I'm also assuming that across nearly twenty years, the vast majority of classic Klipsch fans have upgraded, likely to Crites crossovers (and/or otherwise, I simply would not know.

Regardless, hope this message finds everyone well - if you've had dealings with me in the past, please say hello, and to the other folks here, enjoy these fine speakers, no matter what "flavor" you have chosen. Cheers!!

Chris 

PS - I really need to take some current photos of the early K-stack, though I'd literally have to open my speaker to do so. I don't have a "dummy" unit, nor do I have any raw PCB's left!

• Like 1

Welcome back. You should probably read the sticky’s at the top of this section. 

I am possibly interested in high quality replacement PCBs, and I have an idea or two. 

Things have really died down. 

1) The economy

2) Cost of parts and labor (as you found)

3) The fact that the network updating business has been dominated by four of us over the last 20 years. I sometimes wonder how much is actually left to do - coupled with the fact that younger people don’t have much interest in this. Those that do are pursuing HT or vintage on the cheap.  

1 hour ago, popbumper said:

I'm also assuming that across nearly twenty years, the vast majority of classic Klipsch fans have upgraded, likely to Crites crossovers  

not really ,  Crites  use aftermarket components  ,   the klipsch original  sound is altered . Klipsch now  offer a superior product   since 2021 

- klipsch capacitors and related crossover parts sold  directly to forum members   , including  repair services  to restore older networks .

You should stop. You often seem out of touch. The parts are high quality, they just happen to be the wrong parts for a vintage Klipsch rebuild. My personal take is that their networks just don’t sound that great. 

Actually, most business goes to Crites.

Accessible customer support 

Online shopping
Overnight shipping

Payment plans

Free returns

Nothing Jim or me offer can satisfy the appetite for instant gratification. I certainly have no desire to build junk so I can compete with what amounts to a small factory.

I’m out in the wilds quite a bit, and there is no end to the complaints of poor customer support and lack of real support for the vintage stuff - and almost everyone is absolutely tired of the K-77 tweeter. I am incapable of building an argument to continue its use.  

Sorry, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Deang said:

Actually, most business goes to Crites.

it's possible , but then again ,  some on the Forum   deal with JEM , some deal with you ,  some deal with Solen , some deal with Sonicraft , some deal with ERSE , some deal with PE ,some deal with Mouser , some deal with Digikey  ,  and so on and so on , to say Crites does most of the business is simply not true   , the more competitors there are , the more the pie gets smaller ,   

Dean ,   lotsa Forum members   leave positive remarks about  klipsch CS  ,  I think you're generalising  .

as far as the K-77  ,  the  John Allen cups are pretty good  diaphragms     ,  but even better ,  the  K-771  with a smaller lens could work as a replacement for Heritage speakers  , the only problem is the current AL-5  lens is too large  .