Crown D-75: Opinions, please.

Scott Grammer

I have several D-75s.  I bought them for less than $150. each.  I have used them with khorns and lascalas...I don't think there is anything better for the price for heritage; dead silent, XLR inputs and gain control...perfect for bi-amping.  Yes my expensive tube stuff sounds better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hanksjim1 said:

Yes, Scott may be interested in reading about the D-45, the D-75's little brother, and the tweaks made to transform it into "the Duke" 

I'll dig that up. I've seen the D-45 and the D-60. The 75 is the only one I've ever actually used, as a headphone amp in a studio years ago.

Edit: I found a pdf of the thread through the link you provided, and it appears that much of the work done to create "The Duke" was recapping with better caps. This is certainly part of what I would want to do. There was also replacement of opamps for more slew rate, but as my hearing tops out at 13k anymore, I don't know if that would ever be audible to me. The caps will certainly be up for replacement, though.

4 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

I have several D-75s.  I bought them for less than $150. each.  I have used them with khorns and lascalas...I don't think there is anything better for the price for heritage; dead silent, XLR inputs and gain control...perfect for bi-amping.  Yes my expensive tube stuff sounds better.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering about, noise with efficient speakers and of course sound quality compared to more upscale hi-fi amps. Oddly, I don't think I've ever repaired a D-75. I suspect, considering how many were sold, that this is because they don't break down; a big plus in my book.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Scott Grammer said:

What do you think of the sound, especially with efficient speakers?

I really liked the sound as much as any amp I tried. The speakers it was used with was very efficient, very close to the most efficient speakers Klipsch makes and it was dead quiet. MWM with 402 top horns, you could put your head in the 402 between songs and hear no noise or hiss of any kind. 

I now use something else only because one of the amps started making a noise, it was from the amp itself not through the speakers. It is the only reason I don't use them, gave them to a friend who wants to rebuild them. 

@Scott Grammer  There are different versions of a bunch of these. If you want to have a look under the hood on the model Mark worked on, you can borrow it for a while. I'm currently using a Crown Xli800 with my Heresy IIs, which is overkill, so the D-45 is sitting quiet. Actually wouldn't hurt to have it looked at as one day I noticed a little lower volume. When I looked at the amped there were rad light on. I had a stray wire on the back of the speaker shorting the signal. Might be my imagination, but after fixing the short, it still didn't sound quite right.

I just switched it out out figured I would put back in later to try it.

Just let me know and I'll get it up to you.

Bruce

FWIW...the D75 and D45/75A are different animals. D75 came first and has 2 single opamps and 1 dual. The D45/75A have a quad. D75 has balanced XLR input and unbalanced 1/4 phone in. D45/75A is balanced either way. There are other minor differences like a lot of hand wiring in the original D75 that was eliminated by the time D45/75A came along.

• Moderators

Not yet, he wanted to run his Jubes with them but never got his jubes yet. 😮 Just never got around to ordering them yet, or putting in a work order is probably closer to what will happen.  I know he is always busy with work and visiting his parents, not even counting everything we expect him to do to help us organize the museum. We stay on his butt with the last one.