Crown D-75: Opinions, please.

Scott Grammer

There has been many happy members here with those Crowns. I was a fan of the old USA Crown products. Am I correct in that the Crown's made now are Chinese made? Moot point as long a quality control is maintained but just curious. From what little googling I have done the D75 is made for professional use with fans for cooling. That is a turnoff for many but personally I have no problem with fan cooling as long as you do not hear it when music playing. I was curious what type of amplification it uses and found class A/B, old school now a days with class D having taken over the professional amp production. At least by most bands. Perhaps someone with the history of the company and amplifier will chime in and enlighten us. 

• Moderators
On 10/15/2023 at 8:14 PM, Scott Grammer said:

It's clean, never been racked, but of course it's old, and probably needs a bit of freshening up.

If it was two needed you could build your own rack.

12 hours ago, babadono said:

work order for a UG Jube?......that would take some powerful connections methinks.

He knows and works with a guy, when looking in a mirror they look the same. He is a bonehead. 

old picture

speakers -.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, Marvel said:

@Scott Grammer  There are different versions of a bunch of these. If you want to have a look under the hood on the model Mark worked on, you can borrow it for a while. I'm currently using a Crown Xli800 with my Heresy IIs, which is overkill, so the D-45 is sitting quiet. Actually wouldn't hurt to have it looked at as one day I noticed a little lower volume. When I looked at the amped there were rad light on. I had a stray wire on the back of the speaker shorting the signal. Might be my imagination, but after fixing the short, it still didn't sound quite right.

I just switched it out out figured I would put back in later to try it.

Just let me know and I'll get it up to you.

Bruce

I'd like that. And maybe I can figure out what changed. The current limiting no doubt saved the amp, but things surely got hot in the process, and so values might have changed, or outputs may have been weakened. Next time you're coming my way, holler at me and we'll set a time for me to meet you at the shop.

Thanks,

Scott.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, OO1 said:

-plenty of used D75A amps on Ebay

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on those. I'm gathering all the service lit on the different models and I'm not sure exactly which one I want, but typically, a manufacturer's first try is the best, or one of the best, and later iterations are changes to keep the beancounters happy. Except, of course, when the changes are for stability or to cure issues not known until the amps were in the field.

Scott.

• Like 1

FWIW I found fixing the balanced inputs pin 1 problem very easy on the D75s I hot rodded. To me it looked like it might be a little more difficult on the D45/75A, involving cutting circuit traces/adding wires. The rest of the modifications, re capping, adjusting compensation caps, installing I.C. socket(s) swapping opamp amp chips, seems pretty much the same. Because of the opamps I chose to use LME49710s and 720s I had to replace the low voltage zener regs with actual regulators. The zener regs just did not have the poop to run the LME amps.

I was a big fan of Crown products in the 70's, early 80's owing their IC150 pre, DC150A and DC300A. I thought Crown sold to an Asian company years ago but apparently the D75 was made by the same company from what you guys are saying. The pre IC150 is now not considered that great even when built but it served me well for decades. That Crown DC300 was a beast for touring bands. Almost indestructible from all accounts used by some of the largest bands of the time. By the way I still have all three components but none working. I thought of getting them back working but there is not a large market for them so for now they are collecting dust. That and the DC300 is a heavy piece of gear to be moving around on the bench. It was not cheap when I bought it way back when.