Subwoofers in Apartments

ahhbee78

Hello all,

After living in a 2-level apartment with a basement, I am now moving to a 2nd floor apartment. With the basement, I never worried about the sound from my HT booming out into my neighbors residences. Now that im going to be living above someone, I want to do the right thing to be a good neighbor.

My system is as follows: KSB 3.1, KSC-C1, KSF-S5(?), and a KSW-12. All of this is run through a Denon 1601.

Is there anything out there on the market that will prevent the low frequencies from my sub from going downstairs? I can't really afford a $1000 dollar piece of plywood, but any DIY suggestions are fair game.

I dont listen to my system at bowel shaking levels, but I do like to have the full sound that my system can deliver.

I did a search of the Subwoofer forum and couldnt find anything regarding similar situations, so any help would be appreciated.

You really have only two options, either go with Mirage's Om200 sub at $1000 or go with a lesser sub and place a piece of stone underneath it. The Mirage sub is omnipolar in design which radiates the bass around your room rather then driving vibrations into your floor. If it is too costly an option then go with the best downfiring sub you can afford and place it on a block of stone. The stone will help minimize vibrations. The Mirage OM200 is a killer sub by the way.

Bass wavelengths are just too long. Doesn't matter what direction they are shot in, or what block of stone/concrete/wood you set the sub on, the sub will annoy the neighbors. It's the air pressure that is rattling things, not the sub directly. And with air pressure waves measured in 12-72ft lengths for bass frequencies, unless your entire floor is several inch thick concrete the sound will be transmitted.

The construction techniques needed to sound proof a room to bass frequencies are quite complex and expensive and definately not an option for an appartment dweller. They involve decoupling surfaces from each other and making things air tight. The only thing you can really do in an appartment is turn it down or off.

If you want more details on what is required to sound proof a room check this link out.

http://www.acoustics101.com/

Not much to be done,as Dustin said its not the cabinet vibrations but the sound pressure generated by the cone,port that matters.

If the place is built out of thick concrete you should not worry,if its the standard El Cheapo construction(95% of homes are built)then just reduce the volume.The KSW12 is not known to be a world beating super shaker but it can and will piss the peeps below you.

Wow,

I guess I'm kinda lucky in that my apartment complex is built out of what appears to be concrete block with a thick layer of plaster over it.

I talked to my next door neighbor (who's actually a friend of mine and goes to my college) and from what he said I think I have to be hitting upwards of 100dB or so for him to even tell I'm listening to music at all.

Peace, Josh

Uhhhh, Josh...yeah you are lucky! Just imagine a SVS Ultra + apartment! 11.gif11.gif11.gif Needless to say, my neighbor has more then once called me to tell me to turn it down.

hmmmmm....

TO DO LIST

1.) Buy HOUSE

2.) Insert SW:TPM

3.) Piss off neighbor 9.gif

As for the origional post...the KSW-12 would be fine in an apartment. I had one before I got the Ultra, and it didn't tick my neighbor off, the RF-3s were more annoying then the base from the KSW-12....

-Dave

Ya I just got screwed too. I moved this weekend from an downstairs all college student apartment building to an upstairs, old building with retired people and professors. I'm affraid that I'm never going to be able to turn my denon above 40-45. It's not like I can walk around and check each of the 9 doors around me and see if they are home or not. Sucks @ss.

ahhbee78, when my wife and I were living in an apartment we made it a point to know the people living on the other side of each wall, floor, and ceiling. This does not mean you will be best friends, but if you at least know the names and talk in the halls and parking lot you will get much better responses from them. When I got my system, including a KSW-200, one of the first things I did was talk to each neighbor. I told them I had a new stereo. I did not wish to bother them with it, so if it was ever too loud to please call me or come knock on the door. I gave them my PH#, most already had it, and all was done. I never, and I mean never, got a call from any of them concerning the stereo noise. I did get a PH# from each neighbor basically saying the same thing I did and I was to call them if their stereo ever got too loud. I also took notice of the kind of car they drove. That way I could look into the parking lot and see if they were home. By getting to know my neighbors I earned a bit of respect and thus a little more tolerance towards what I did. This is something I have continued to do since, and it has never failed me. In fact, it has started quite a few good relationships. Just be careful of one thing. If your system is good enough you may find your apt. is the place to see movies. The benifits here are, you rarely have to rent a movie, people tend to leave beer, wine, and pop behind so your fridge is usually stocked, and if your single there is always a good looking friend with the downstairs neighbor (mine happened to be a very nice looking single woman who had tons of friends) I happened to be, and still am, happily married at the time. But I can remember thinking, MAN...where were these women when I was single. Make friends before you have the chance to make enemies. The end result is usually pretty good. Good luck.