Don't know if anybody has seem this gear...very different looking...

ChrisK

that was in the cain & cain booth this year at CES, people have mentioned the botth had good sound. cool design and nice big-plate tube complement, I think it is a one-off at this point. have not heard anyhitng about how the amp itself sounds yet though...tony

frankly I am surprised that more people are not spending a few bucks on nifty industrial design and packaging. all the SETs out there are a slab with trannies and a couple of tubes...10% of the purchase price thrown at packaging could get ya some nice looking rigs. I will post some photos of some cool rigs form my internet travels later today...tony

These are Josh Stippich's creations that were first seen at the VSAC thrown by Bottlehead a few years back. I can do without the cartoon but I will say that Josh is VERY, VERY talented and this is his breakout year. He actually exhibited with my turntable loon's Progressive-Engineering table at the 2003 The Show ( http://www.progressive-engineering.com/ ). As stated, Cain & Cain were the horns. You can see some shots of them on that PE page. Of course, everyone was so busy staring at the Stippich amps that no one noticed the turntable !!! heh... These amps are NOT cheap coming in up to $35,000 and more! Consider them audio sculpture. They are supposedly amazing looking in person. While I dont totally share the design aesthetic, they really are works of art. Very retro with some progressive tube thought inside. I have not heard a single negative concerning this gear. Frankly, there is nothing like it right now.

kh

Nice functional art.

Should be for $35,000.

People have different tastes in aesthetics of tube audio

designs, and most audio gear in general.

If you have the cash to dump into fancy looking boutique gear, then I can understand overall looks playing a big factor.

Personally, I like the looks of a simple plate and wood frame of a tube amp.

In the case of a poor fool such as I, one has to deal with the mediocre looks of some vintage tube gear.

I'll be listening to the gear more than gawking at it.

Ugly or not, it still beats Solid-Scrape.

Tony,

That Shanling piece kinda reminds me of this Tri (tubed) DAC I saw and heard at Yama's Enterprises. Masa, the owner, is also the only Accuphase factory authorized service center in the US. Anyway, this dac sounded pretty good. It had a rheostat switch that allowed you to adjust the luminessence to any combo of colors. I'm guessing that a rheostat hooked up to a lamp on a DAC may not help the sound?

luminous front.jpgluminous back.jpg

luminous red.jpgluminous green.jpgluminous blue.jpg

Cost - $2,000

Regards,

Chris

Cool! if it rotated and had facets like a diamond it could create the "disco effect" I don't think it right to look down on someone trying for a pleasing design, as long as it does not replace the core reaosn for the equipment, the sound. how hard or expensive would it be to take a Moondog and place it into a nicely turned out cabinet? could be presented as an option...just a thought, tony

I'm very leery of stuff which is too self-consciously styled. To me it raises flags about a lack of depth and too much energy expended on looks instead of function. Like Dodge trucks, which are pretty trashy and only started selling when they got "hot" styling. But notice that people who buy Ford and Chevy trucks buy them regardless of what they look like, that's because they're good trucks. And notice that you see very few Dodge "worktrucks" on construction sites and such. Nope, contractors stick with Ford and Chevy. I'm sidetracked.

Tom, I agree and disagree. If something has style over substance and uses the flash and pomp to take the place of good quality and the highest art of function, then it is of a lessor origin. On the other hand, to me, the highest goal would be to design things where form and function are both given equal attention and the result goes beyond mere utility, achieving worth in quality, function, and aesthetics, which should all be wrapped up in one.

I personally like all my machines to have aesthetic merit right along with the function. With your example of a truck, the aesthetic is actually the function and the quality and ability to serve that function.

As for audio gear, sonics come first, closely followed by the design aesthetic. I would much prefer a tube amp with some thought to layout and symetry with attention paid to space and arrangment, not to mention appealing materials.

In essence, I actually like LOOKING at my gear as well as listening. No, it's not the same level and the ability to produce the result is point one....but I get much enjoyment out of the form as well. Still, I see your point. And we seem to share a disdain for style with no substance.

kh

and one does not necessarily have any relation to the other, ron welbourne, dennis had, anyone of them could come up with some creative packagin ideas and offer a $250 upgrade for a high-style package. I like my chair to be comfortable but I also have to look at it, ya´know? tony