Going price on a pair of klipsch LaScala

RBurnJames

New here and looking to get into home audio since I just retired @60.   I’m in northern calif and have seen a pair of la scala pop up for sale.  They are asking $2000 obo. The history the original owner passed and the son got them and borrowed money from a friend and gave these to him until payback… well it’s been many years and they have been in his “garage workout area” that is sheetrocked and carpeted  hooked to it seemed something newer for amp.  They were moved into the house maybe some time ago (a year?) and now they want to get rid of them.  So it appears they have not been modified? but I don’t have any pictures to make sure at this point. I’m basing this on the couple picts showing the metal that seems rough. They are in a fairly dry area north of me but a garage brings different thoughts to my head.  He said there is a very small chip below the mid range speaker.  He said they sound good but I do not believe he is an audiophile and they are not hooked up to anything special so sounds good or loud as he says I take with a grain of salt and I’m not able with any decent amp to check out the sound.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on what you can see here. I’m thinking in my head that $1500 maybe a better price but I may be way off?  I was thinking of all the what ifs like having to replace horns or upgrades etc. I’m a civil engineer and I’m very detailed oriented and I absolutely like all original gear. I plan to hook these up to a st70. They will go into a dedicated room, where I have my home theater setup that is a 1998 year klipsch speakers with a denon 5700. I plan to run these with tube pre and amps with vinyl.

Thanks

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2256.jpeg

Edited by RBurnJames
Clean up some words

Recent developments and advancements in the understanding of all things Klipsch have led to the conclusion that the K-77-M should not be used with an AA crossover. It is too hot. WAY too hot. The K-77-M is pictured in this pair of La Scalas.

The AA crossover was also designed to be used with the single phase K-55-V. In the speakers pictured here the date code is “W” which would imply the dual phase plug (soldered lug) K-55-V is used.

The dual phase plug driver extends higher than the single phase plug driver and is not optimal for the AA crossover as designed.

Whether these came stock from Klipsch like this, or they were modified, I don’t know. I do know there were anomalies during driver and crossover changeover years.

But as these stand right now, they are not representative of what the Klipsch sound should be, according to recent discussions on here, with all the graphs to prove it.

Don’t despair, others in better condition for the same price will be along soon enough. And when they do show up don’t hesitate to ask away on here.

Welcome to the forum,

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They look pretty tired for 2K.

I've noticed a lot of people are shooting pretty high when they price speakers lately.  I guess the reasoning is that groceries went up around 30% that everything else has as well.

I would offer 1K and have fun refinishing them and doing some driver/crossover work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

They look pretty tired for 2K.

I've noticed a lot of people are shooting pretty high when they price speakers lately.  I guess the reasoning is that groceries went up around 30% that everything else has as well.

I would offer 1K and have fun refinishing them and doing some driver/crossover work.

I offered I’d come up and look for possible 1k, explaining conditions and xo etc… he said he’d take 1k… I’ll drive up tomorrow and check them out. I’m ok with the look and they will be “upstairs” and not in every day view per se. With that price I can sort out the horns and xo and should enjoy them and not be buried in them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, geoff. said:

Recent developments and advancements in the understanding of all things Klipsch have led to the conclusion that the K-77-M should not be used with an AA crossover. It is too hot. WAY too hot. The K-77-M is pictured in this pair of La Scalas.

The AA crossover was also designed to be used with the single phase K-55-V. In the speakers pictured here the date code is “W” which would imply the dual phase plug (soldered lug) K-55-V is used.

The dual phase plug driver extends higher than the single phase plug driver and is not optimal for the AA crossover as designed.

Whether these came stock from Klipsch like this, or they were modified, I don’t know. I do know there were anomalies during driver and crossover changeover years.

But as these stand right now, they are not representative of what the Klipsch sound should be, according to recent discussions on here, with all the graphs to prove it.

Don’t despair, others in better condition for the same price will be along soon enough. And when they do show up don’t hesitate to ask away on here.

Welcome to the forum,

thanks for the welcome.

I may be able to get them for 1k… if I do I’ll post all the particulars and see what I need to do to get them as back to klipsch standards.

thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RBurnJames said:

thanks for the welcome.

I may be able to get them for 1k… if I do I’ll post all the particulars and see what I need to do to get them as back to klipsch standards.

thanks

Welcome to the forum. Your LaScala look absolutely honest and original. In my opinion, they were bought very attractively for USD 1,000. Others will know better than I do, but the configuration of your LaScala is absolutely historically correct. The drivers are very original and the Type AA Xover also looks very original even with the authentic Klipsch wire, red and white, which I never would change against something „fancy“ from today.. Klipsch built it like this in the early 80s. Original with K77M. I wouldn't swap the original drivers if I were you, I think there was some confusion here in the forum a few weeks ago about the choice of K55V dual phase plug together with Type AA Xover...a confusion that has never been discussed before...as if the dual phase plug K55V wouldn't harmonise with a Type AA? I think this is BS as PWK himself would say in this case, and he designed it.
If I were you, I would first leave everything as it is and listen. 
I would replace things in this order. First new rubber rings between K55V and K400 horn. Then just listen to see if the treble is too muffled. It could be that the Aerovox capacitors are too old. If they are already wet and leaking oil, I would replace them. There is a dealer JEM who sells the customised and selected polyester caps for your Type AA. Only they are Klipsch approved and it really doesn't make sense to use anything else because Klipsch was really looking to restore the original good sound. JEM is mentioned in the upper fixed zone in the Technical/Restoration zone. 
There really isn't much more to do for now. The bass should last forever if kept dry and not abused. Never change the coils and especially the autoformers of the Xover, they are worth their weight in gold and have a big impact on the original sound. I only realised this at the end of an odyssey after I had some wrong parts in my 1977 LaScala.
You can also reseal the bass cabinet with thin insulating tape on the underside. Maybe you can think about replacing the diaphragms of the K55V with original new ones, but that would be one of the last measures of a fine tuning. In the meantime, have fun with your very great new acquisition.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KT88 said:

Welcome to the forum. Your LaScala look absolutely honest and original. In my opinion, they were bought very attractively for USD 1,000. Others will know better than I do, but the configuration of your LaScala is absolutely historically correct. The drivers are very original and the Type AA Xover also looks very original even with the authentic Klipsch wire, red and white, which I never would change against something „fancy“ from today.. Klipsch built it like this in the early 80s. Original with K77M. I wouldn't swap the original drivers if I were you, I think there was some confusion here in the forum a few weeks ago about the choice of K55V dual phase plug together with Type AA Xover...a confusion that has never been discussed before...as if the dual phase plug K55V wouldn't harmonise with a Type AA? I think this is BS as PWK himself would say in this case, and he designed it.
If I were you, I would first leave everything as it is and listen. 
I would replace things in this order. First new rubber rings between K55V and K400 horn. Then just listen to see if the treble is too muffled. It could be that the Aerovox capacitors are too old. If they are already wet and leaking oil, I would replace them. There is a dealer JEM who sells the customised and selected polyester caps for your Type AA. Only they are Klipsch approved and it really doesn't make sense to use anything else because Klipsch was really looking to restore the original good sound. JEM is mentioned in the upper fixed zone in the Technical/Restoration zone. 
There really isn't much more to do for now. The bass should last forever if kept dry and not abused. Never change the coils and especially the autoformers of the Xover, they are worth their weight in gold and have a big impact on the original sound. I only realised this at the end of an odyssey after I had some wrong parts in my 1977 LaScala.
You can also reseal the bass cabinet with thin insulating tape on the underside. Maybe you can think about replacing the diaphragms of the K55V with original new ones, but that would be one of the last measures of a fine tuning. In the meantime, have fun with your very great new acquisition.

Thanks. I’ve read a lot about what you speak of (k55v vw 55m and aa so) and yes I believe the horns are original as I’ve looked up other 81s online (at least the ones I see). The price I believe is fair for the condition possible unknowns and say cost to use JEM (I’ve read a lot about their parts) is it is needed to get everything back in spec that will be the way to go. If I was going to see an audition in a audiophiles home and all was in good care and explanations on condition it would be a different story and price. 

I do see a few more la scala pop up within 2 to 3 hours from me and some klipschorns… which I’ve heard in person many years ago and was impressed.  I’ll hopefully begin my journey with these la scala and see where takes me.  

thanks again all for the information.

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Would you have a proper room to set up Khorns? Then I would perhaps go for those if I had to chose. At least it is what had impressed you time ago.

My room looks like this. The short vertical wall is 43 inches and it is 45 degrees up to the 8 foot ceiling. The width of the room is 14’ - 3” wide and 26’ long.  The couch is sitting at 13 foot from the tv.
khorns are like 53” tall so I’d have them moved inward to get them to fit so the speakers would be 12’ apart . I’m uncertain on how they would react with the wall and ceiling dimensions. I know you can build fake corners but like I said it’s not a square wall to ceiling. Here is a couple Picts.

blue_room_IMG_4588.jpg

blueroom2_IMG_4590.jpg

Edited by RBurnJames
fixed pictures

I looked them over they looked pretty good and they were hooked to an older denon ss amp. The setup and spacing wasn’t great  but the speakers sounded clear and really good as I was hoping they would. I was hoping i wouldn’t hear something off and didn’t.

I loved the sound and overall appearance and they seem to be survivors so i bought them!

We loaded them up and drove 2.5 hours home and have them in my 1st floor hallway as i type this and plan to move them upstairs tomorrow.  Dang these are heavy!

Im planning to order a new dynaco st70 and pas preamp. I was looking at some vintage gear but I think I’ll take my time and start with new tubes.  The vintage gear was hk citation 1 with dynaco mark iii mono amps…  but maybe as i get into this I’ll have various gear as i go. 

• Like 6

I had this typed up an hour or two ago, but forgot to press Send.  Hopefully, most of it will still be relevant, perhaps when dealing to buy your next pair.  So, congrats on getting your new-to-you speakers!  Also, welcome to the Forum!

I would point out that although your La Scalas weigh 125 lbs/57 kg, they have flat bottoms and little wide steel "button" feet, which means that they slide easily on carpet.  I was able to shift my 1974 Scalas all over the room singlehanded.  I may be a bit excited for you, lol.  It's kind of magic when you get them home, and magic again when you get them hooked up and speaking in your room for the first time.  On to a couple of hours ago!

The "W" in those speakers' serial numbers indicates that they were built in 1981, and the way the seller dropped the price in half suggests that either he has no idea of their value, and/or he's under pressure to get rid of them.  Does he look like someone who'd be impressed if you "flash the cash" and offer $800?  They are 42 years old, after all...

In any case, it would be very helpful to you to be able to test them.  You don't need a high-end source and amplifier.  Even a basic receiver would let you find out if everything is working and sounding okay.  Bring along a towel to stuff into the squawker horn.  This will make it easier to hear the tweeter, since the squawker will be playing louder than the tweeter with most music, most of the time.

If the price is low enough (be careful, because some folks take offence at real lowball offers), it may not even matter if everything is working, since all the parts are relatively available, and at reasonable prices.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.