Power Tube comparisons

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I remember when they sold tubes at the drug store. 😀😀😀

Me too. I remember my Dad taking out all the tubes in the TV and going with him to the drug store to test them. It says us old farts have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:04 AM, Invidiosulus said:

My old Mesa Boogie had whatever the contemporary Mesa branded 6L6 and EL34 were that Mike Bendinelli put in it during its last service.

I never got around to swapping them out for anything else.

the preamp tubes were a different story.

I ended up with a box full of vintage RCA black plate 12AX7 that I pulled out of a bunch of lab equipment they were tossing at work.

The RCA tubes sounded a million times(subjectively) better than the mesa branded (Sovtek?)12ax7.

The angriest and saddest I ever saw a guitar player was when I told him he couldn't gig with the RCA 12AX7s I'd put in his Deluxe Reverb for recording.

9 minutes ago, DirtyErnie said:

The angriest and saddest I ever saw a guitar player was when I told him he couldn't gig with the RCA 12AX7s I'd put in his Deluxe Reverb for recording.

The Amperex Bugle boy 12AX7’s sounded even better but they didn’t last very long in the V1 spot in the MkIII.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

The Amperex Bugle boy 12AX7’s sounded even better but they didn’t last very long in the V1 spot in the MkIII.

Somehow ended up with Mullard made 'IEC' tubes in a Plush PA head.  Was tube-rolling with another guitarist and his Mesa TriAxis & 2/90 rig.  IECs in the first two positions, amps re-started.  He cocked his head after the first chord.  Hit another chord, his eyes got big.  Then he started  playing "Iron Man" with what can only be described as 'great enthusiasm', 'cuz those tubes nailed the sound.  

It was glorious.

Mullard 12AT7's in a tube mic were a beautiful pipe & slippers kinda warm-n-fuzzy.  JJ Gold Pin got the call there as well as in the TriAxis.  Clean and more versatile for what we were trying to get on tape.

• Like 1

from power tubes to 12A/7's... how did I know that was going to happen...

In my circuit... the 350b was the hand down best... but you know, the entry price will kill your wallet.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:22 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Yep Forgot thay bi was entranced by the sparkle vinyl.  😀🙂😀

Preferable Blue in Color

My Coliseum PA4 was sparkle red, ratty as hell, and you couldn't manipulate the top channel's knobs.  stripped it, cut the face back parallel with the panel, wrapped it in black.  Much more useful. hahahah.

• Sad 1