Receiver Advice (Marantz NR1200) Negative Review for Heresy IVs

I have a Marantz nr1200 and have used it with my KLF20s and Cornwall IVs before. Maybe aim one of those tin eared people but I think it sounded good with both. Definitely better than my Onkyo 9050 on the KLFs. I also owned a Marantz 40n for awhile and didn’t think it was worth 5 times the cost. I would however like to try a Yamaha as1200 someday. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Cacti said:

What should I be looking at, just amps? I have a Wiim Pro Plus on the way to help with connectivity.

I have a Wiim Pro Plus on the way to help with connectivity, what would you recommend for an amp?

Heard nothing but great things about Wiim Pro Plus. I think I'm going to order one (after you get yours, haha). 

You can get by with just an Amp can't you (volume control on the Wiim). I think you can look at any good solid-state amp (Wiim has one don't they?). Don't know how loud you listen, music, but 50 watts a side will be plenty. 

16 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I don't believe in this "pairing and amp with speakers" stuff. Manufacturers can't afford to risk

such narrow pairings between their components and other components. They'd lose significant

market share and money.

Buy the receiver and I expect it will be fine.

My experience has been very much the opposite of this post and I consider this terrible advice. Pairing the right amp to your speakers is the most important pairing you can make in an  audiophile setup. I've heard the same amp I'm listening to right now that sounds great with my Fortes sound dreadful with another pair of speakers that I have sitting in the same room.

My ears have heard many times what you "don't believe".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, Cacti said:

Hey all, I'm looking to get a receiver for my Heresy IVs. I'm looking at the Marantz NR1200 which I can get for a substantial discount. The reviews seem pretty good except for this specific review when pairing with Heresy IVs. Do you have any experience with this receiver? How does it sound? Any validity to this review?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.37.05 AM.png

Don't get a piece of crap AVR for your wonderful Heresy. Get a dedicated 2 channel amp. What's your budget? If you want to stay in this price range the Yamaha A-S501 is a good option but you can certainly get much better sound from your Heresy than that. But at least it won't be crappy avr sound. A used Marantz Pm8006 will sound great if you like the Marantz sound. I happen to love the Marantz sound. It's warmer and easier to listen to than the more neutral sounding Yamaha.

FWIW I love tube amps and prefer their sound. If you are new to the hobby don't go down the tube rabbit hole to start off. It can get expensive quickly and if you don't upgrade the preamp tubes in an integrated tube amp you won't get very good sound anyways. At least not near the potential for sound quality that some good NOS tubes can provide. Get a solid state quality 2 channel dedicated integrated amp.

Congrats on your Heresy. They are much more than the entry level of the Heritage line of speakers. They provide truly great audiophile sound. Never under-estimate them based on their smaller stature.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, for those wondering I ended going with this:

CAYIN MT-12N EL84EH Integrated Tube Amp

I read good things about Cayin, and at $500 I can decide if I like the tube sound or not.

I have my Wiim Pro Plus w DAC and remote going into one channel, Phono pre into another, so I think I'll be all set.

Cool...let us know.

27 minutes ago, Cacti said:

I read good things about Cayin, and at $500 I can decide if I like the tube sound or not.

Hope it works well for you (I have been pondering one of them myself), but as someone that has owned a lot of tube amplifiers and heard many more, I will say not to judge all tube amplifiers from one example.

52 minutes ago, 83 LSIs said:

Hope it works well for you (I have been pondering one of them myself), but as someone that has owned a lot of tube amplifiers and heard many more, I will say not to judge all tube amplifiers from one example.

9W per channel should be enough for the Heresy's yea?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Oh yeah.

Hows the Wiim working out?

Absolutely love it so far. It was such a breeze to set up and you don't need to do anything extra for Spotify or AirPlay, it just works.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Cacti, 

I happen to have the NR1200 paired with some Forte IIs (I just made a post about the pairing). 

And I ALSO came across that review on crutchfield. 😢 

unfortunately I have to agree with the reviewer. I wanted a setup that would work for my tv arc, and the nr1200 seemed to be the perfect fit, and I heard Marantz had a warm sound. After hooking it up, I thought it sounded “good”. Then I hooked up an old Sony TA-5650 and was literally blown away! 

In my case, the Marantz NR1200 is a poor pairing. Thin and lifeless. 

I’m looking into the Blusound Node and purchasing a new integrated amp that will work better with my fortes. It’s a shame I can’t demo all these amps before picking one out. who knew speakers could be so picky! 

good luck in your search. I’ll let you know if I find a good match. 

cheers 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:09 AM, Peter P. said:

I don't believe in this "pairing an amp with speakers" stuff. Manufacturers can't afford to risk

such narrow pairings between their components and other components. They'd lose significant

market share and money.

Buy the receiver and I expect it will be fine.

That depends on your interpretation of sound. Pairing makes a huge difference. 

I have used avr, class A, AB, digital and tube amps.  I have never had a problem paring them with any speaker.  I am not a believer of reputable manufacturers making amps, avr or tube amps for specific speakers.  Speaker sensitivity and ohm load may be more important when selecting an amp, or avr.  If the amp or avr has enough power, it should work.

• Like 2