Art Work vs Value

Gilbert

How do you evaluate the value or cost of an art piece? In this case a painting , by an artist (?) that is not really known....   she's basiclly a local artist. She has sold some pieces that are well above $50k, which makes this one a steal. 

Is the value simply "what the public is willing to pay"?  I absolutely love this painting, and though it's not a bank buster like a Monte or van Gogh, still,  $4,500.00 just feels steep?

The size was about 24x32. 

Cigars n Scotch Jackrabbit.jpg

• Like 2

That's pretty nice. I have no real idea on art pricing. Did you get this or still deciding.

I've seen some local paintings (Chattanooga) that I thought were stupid for what they were. This looks to be a whole other level.

• Like 1

Art pricing unknown artists is like trying to bust out of Alcatraz. You have to hammer away at the brokers (intermediates) to sell one piece of art which establishes the price that the broker thinks he can get for it. You might have to go through 20 brokers before you are successful in selling a piece. A known famous artist has all of this in place which was determined by a very small group of supposedly knowledgeable people that think it's good or bad. They all seem to agree which art is bad and which art is good. Some very famous war mongers in History have held some very tough grudges against art critics.

JJK

• Like 1

I'd have to question a local artist being able to generate 50k on a single piece regardless of size... that is a pretty elite territory in terms of valuation.

A lot of WELL KNOWN artists can't get to that point.

Generally, a local artist is priced in a category known as 'decorative'... and that segment is normally priced very reasonably.  If the artist has had any major shows or has a quantifiable auction history, then it is much easier to figure out a range of value.

Depending on medium and size, I can probably guess what a range for a piece might be... but that is still no guarantee you would ever make money or even be able to hold value.

A acrylic 24x32 might be in the 900-2500 range for an unknown and this is being generous.

Does this person have a body of work?

Remember when buying Art... buy what you like and not what you think others might like, because at this level you are not 'investing'.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, Schu said:

I'd have to question a local artist being able to generate 50k on a single piece regardless of size... that is a pretty elite territory in terms of valuation.

A lot of WELL KNOWN artists can't get to that point.

Generally, a local artist is priced in a category known as 'decorative'... and that segment is normally priced very reasonably.  If the artist has had any major shows or has a quantifiable auction history, then it is much easier to figure out a range of value.

Depending on medium and size, I can probably guess what a range for a piece might be... but that is still no guarantee you would ever make money or even be able to hold value.

A acrylic 24x32 might be in the 900-2500 range for an unknown and this is being generous.

Does this person have a body of work?

Remember when buying Art... buy what you like and not what you think others might like, because at this level you are not 'investing'.

She's from reportedly from Colombia and spent quite a bit of time in Europe before coming back to the states (she had married an American early in life, who passed away, after which she hauled *** to Europe). she's sleeping with a former client (no current projects going on), who's also extremely wealty.  His family owns a pharmaceutical co......     funny story, to me and the contractor atleast....   he divorced his ex (who was/is a lawyer) and reportedly had to shell out over $20 mil. He's now shaked up with the artist (she's actually at his place), so I think that's were the $$$ for her art goes crazy.... but in all honesty I really don't know for certain. She's got a pretty serious gallery, but nothing is marked. You have to ask about the price, at which point I think they look at what kind of car your drove up in.

I've never given a tinker's damn (as my late pop would say) about anyone's opinion when it comes to buying something. I'm your typical anal engineer and research the crap out of anything and everything I buy that's of value. My research of course will sometimes involve asking questions of others, but in the end, if I spend the coins, you can bet it's because I love it.

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, Dave1291 said:

Interesting w/the Scotch bottle.  When I drink, which is rarely, that's my go to.  Neat!   

I'd buy it but not for that kind of cash.  Would be a fun one to look at.  :) 

Exactly....  I engoy a good scotch... neat or with the classic round boulder (per McCallan's recommendation).....   blended or single malt, depending on mood. I also enjoy cigars (cheap rum punches or  my fav. go-to  padron), but usually when I'm fishing / at camp during a hunting trip / or on the links.  I rarely smoke at home, unless I'm on the riding mower.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:19 AM, Gilbert said:

She's from reportedly from Colombia and spent quite a bit of time in Europe before coming back to the states (she had married an American early in life, who passed away, after which she hauled *** to Europe). she's sleeping with a former client (no current projects going on), who's also extremely wealty.  His family owns a pharmaceutical co......     funny story, to me and the contractor atleast....   he divorced his ex (who was/is a lawyer) and reportedly had to shell out over $20 mil. He's now shaked up with the artist (she's actually at his place), so I think that's were the $$$ for her art goes crazy.... but in all honesty I really don't know for certain. She's got a pretty serious gallery, but nothing is marked. You have to ask about the price, at which point I think they look at what kind of car your drove up in.

I've never given a tinker's damn (as my late pop would say) about anyone's opinion when it comes to buying something. I'm your typical anal engineer and research the crap out of anything and everything I buy that's of value. My research of course will sometimes involve asking questions of others, but in the end, if I spend the coins, you can bet it's because I love it.

it's a wonderful story... but it doesn't add to or subtract from her artistic abilities unless her travels were specifically driven by artistic endeavors or learning.

art galleries are kind of like arseholes... everyone's got one. Whether or not they are successful or if they have profitable traffic patterns is something else.

it's a relatively nice looking piece and has some size to it... so I think my personal impressions as fairly spot on in terms of valuation... it's a 'Decorative' piece in the 900-2500 range in a gallery setting.

I think they pump these art pieces out by the boat load from China and India... In which case it would be worth SIGNIFICANTLY less.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 11:03 AM, Schu said:

unless her travels were specifically driven by artistic endeavors or learning.

I think she traveled over there to get laid...  that's what some of the paintings would indicate to me that she did special for the sucker, I mean new boyfriend.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend in San Diego who runs a jazz club. I've never met his wife as I haven't seen Chuck for probably a little over 50 years. Anyway, his wife paints, does sculpture, etc. She was studying with a Japanese artist. I love her watercolors on rice paper. I've meant to ask her prices for some of these, as they would look nice in our home.

Sunflowers.jpg

Wisteria.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 7:20 PM, Marvel said:

I haven't seen Chuck for probably a little over 50 years.

Those are very nice paintings indeed, I like them both....  and I think you're over due on the visit with your friend.  San Diego's a long haul, but it's Spring time and that makes for good road trip weather and sight seeing.     Father time waits for no one, give your buddy a shout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife is headed to Canada to visit older son and we're headed to the Philippines for Christmas. The budget is a little tight.

I'm going to give Chuck a call this weekend. We do keep in touch, but it's been a month or so. He sends me a CD of his new music every once in a while. He runs a jazz club in San Diego, so he doesn't get out of the city much.

• Like 2