AVR's vs. 2 channel

I don't have much knowledge of AVR receivers, but they definitely have a lot of functionality.

First and foremost, I want a great 2-channel experience.  I have Khorns.

I have used a Crown Microtech 1200 with them, and this pair-up will knock your socks off with very clear, authoritative punch.  Similar results with a Yamaha MX-something amp with a matching preamp that I used to have.

I have also heard Khorns with vintage Marantz receivers.  The sound was just "okay" in comparison.

What about modern AVR's?  Are there killer ones out there in nice used condition for under $750?

I really want the quality of sound I have only experienced so far with separate components, but that's not to say that a good AVR can't do it.  I am sure the high end ones can, but what about the price range I mentioned?

Anyone have experience with both separates and AVR's?

Look for a 3 or 4 year old flagship avr since the price drop on electronics takes a big hit after a few years old.  Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony and a few others to choose from.  Flagship avr's have discrete amps for each channel, separate compartments for preamp, power, biamping, ect..

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Look for a 3 or 4 year old flagship avr since the price drop on electronics takes a big hit after a few years old.  Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony and a few others to choose from.  Flagship avr's have discrete amps for each channel, separate compartments for preamp, power, biamping, ect..

Can you give some examples of models?

Another option is to keep your amp, get a 2-channel pre-amp with home-theatre pass-thru, and then whatever Japanese AVR you want with full pre-amp outputs.  you can listen to 2-channel as normal.  When you want to watch a movie, the AVR powers on both the pre-amp (in HT pass thru mode) and the amp, to drive all the HT speakers you have.

2 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Another option is to keep your amp, get a 2-channel pre-amp with home-theatre pass-thru, and then whatever Japanese AVR you want with full pre-amp outputs.  you can listen to 2-channel as normal.  When you want to watch a movie, the AVR powers on both the pre-amp (in HT pass thru mode) and the amp, to drive all the HT speakers you have.

I don't have any amps anymore.  Starting fresh.

35 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What about a Marantz SR 6008?  

Is that the newer one (not sure if model number identifies the age)?

Marantz 8K UHD AVR SR5015-7.2 Ch (2020 Model), Dolby Virtual Height Elevation with Built-in HEOS and Alexa Compatibility, Bluetooth Streaming & Home Automation (Discontinued by Manufacturer) https://a.co/d/a4eatnU

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Is that the newer one (not sure if model number identifies the age)?

Marantz 8K UHD AVR SR5015-7.2 Ch (2020 Model), Dolby Virtual Height Elevation with Built-in HEOS and Alexa Compatibility, Bluetooth Streaming & Home Automation (Discontinued by Manufacturer) https://a.co/d/a4eatnU

I think I read the SR6008 is about a 10 year old model.

Here is a link to specs:  https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/archive-av-receivers/sr6008/810234.html

If it's 10 years old, I think you could do better/newer for under $1000.00.  Keep your eyes out, ask around, sometimes someone is sitting on something they are thinking of getting rid of.  Case in point, I started asking about Arcam, Anthem, and Marantz and was offered my AV7704 for $1000 shipped, and it was pretty much used for a demo and it great condition. 

I found mine on Audioholics, also check AVS forum.

check out AVRs on accessories4less, filter on multi-channel pre-out and hdcp 2.2, and take a look.  I know you don't have an amp, but filtering on multi-channel pre-out puts you into a higher class of AVR IMHO.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:06 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't have much knowledge of AVR receivers, but they definitely have a lot of functionality.

1-Are there killer AVR's out there in nice used condition for under $750?

2-Anyone have experience with both separates and AVR's?

1-no...

2-Yes...

I have used the following;

1 - Denon AVR x7200Wa. Excellent AVR with 150 watts in 2 channel, great DAC, and tons of preamp inputs and controls. Strongly suggest this AVR unless you have 8K video in which case you have to go up to the 8500 model. The negative for an AVR in 2 channel only mode is you are paying for a lot of amplifiers you will not be using.

2 - Luxman M-02 power amp. Sound depends on the preamp input which will also depend on DAC if you use digital front ends. Excellent sound when I paired it with a Cambridge Audio 752BD as DAC and as the stereo amp connected to the above Denon as preamp. The positive and negative is you need a preamp of some sort.  But you use exactly what you pay for, 2 channels of amplification.

3 - Vintage integrated receiver. Ah, now this is good. Luxman R-117. Has a preamp for analogue inputs only, you need a separate DAC to handle digital inputs. Lots of power, 160 watts into 8 ohms. And, the Luxman R series have a remote control.

I used all three above with Heresy speakers and others I won’t mention.  My favourite… the Luxman R-117.  Others I used, Akai AM-2850. An AM-2950 would be equal to the R-117 although no remote control but the Akai has VU meters if you like to watch your music!

The AVRs offer one package convenience, power amps the most targeted value for money and the integrated receiver right down the middle. A used vintage integrated might do the trick. Of course there are concerns with age of the electronics. I had my R-117 refurbished as soon as I got it. Every electrolytic capacitor was replaced, solder traces verified, factory setting adjustments and new 5 way binding posts… $750 Canuck bucks. It’s good for the long run now.

Good luck with your selection process! @Jeff Matthews

• Like 3

@Jeff Matthews, I should also mention… since you posted under Home Theater … if you want to use your Khorns for HT audio … if your TV has an ARC HDMI output, then an AVR that supports ARC input would be useful. In my setup the Denon x7200 supports ARC with my TV, bingo 5.2 channel surround sound.  The Khorns would be light years ahead of tv speakers.  Hence ARC integration is a plus in favour of an AVR.

There are other ways to integrate ARC into a setup, eg Oppo BluRay players and Cambridge Audio 752/CXU players support ARC.  Both sets of players have analogue, digital optic or coaxial and HDMI output so connecting further in your setup is possible although you are then wondering away from simple and easy to use!  But, this step lets you use any of the amplifier options to integrate ARC.

Many TVs also support digital optical audio output so you can get audio out to an AVR or a BluRay player that way too.  

Not sure that helped in your decision process!

MC

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies.

@MC39693 It's interesting you found a vintage receiver to have better sound than a high end modern flagship receiver and a separate component amp, too.

I appreciate everyone's input.  I wish I could hear a setup before buying.  Maybe I should go to Best Buy and see if they can demo something.

@Jeff Matthews I wouldn’t claim to have heard a modern flagship receiver, a modern flagship AVR if that’s what you meant, yes the Denon x7200 WA while about 3rd in Denon lineup is still pretty formidable. It’s the best AVR I’ve had by a long shot. And I got mine on an incredible deal as a newly minted relationship hinged on a gentleman of similar advanced years as me, was told by his new mate to get the HT stuff out of their abode! Wow. 

Others on this forum mentioned the R-117 in some writings and that encouraged me to try one, but I had already had an Akai AM-2850 and liked its sound.  I’ve owned Parasound A23 as a power amp too. It was good but to my ears nothing stood out vs the vintage receiver sound which I would describe as more full bodied and with more warmth perhaps some would call distortion… whatever it is, my ears like it.

BestBuy has gone way downhill here in Canada. You have to find a reasonable audio shop or… cast your net into US Audio Mart BUYER BEWARE.