First Things First

15 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Those look very nice, Jeff. What model are those? Are they decorators finished off with simple appointments or totally factory?

Speaking of nice photos, did you ever install those Four 12" drivers into the Snail Horns you got from me over a year ago? Just curious as to how they might sound and/or measure.

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just curious as to how they might sound and/or measure.

Hey Claude... soon, soon.  After picking those up, I got the Dayton woofers. Josh recalculated the throats for those and they actually look to be a little big for those woofers. The throat opening also gets out to the surround area. JWC said just throw them in and listen.

Anyway, Josh cut some inserts to make the size more correct and to make the expansion better. Pics of what he cut for me attached.

Then I went through 38 radiation treatments. While I'm now testing ok, the androgen blocker has messed with the hormones and I'm pretty beat at the end of the day. I've gotten some other 'had to do' projects mostly caught up. I started getting the Snails finished up.

They will be staying here. 😉

20230330_192417~2.jpg

20230330_192337.jpg

20230402_115653.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Those look very nice, Jeff. What model are those? Are they decorators finished off with simple appointments or totally factory?

The seller said he purchased them in very poor cosmetic condition and spruced them up with new veneer, false corners, casters and some sturdy lag bolts and screws.  These are assembled to withstand a fall from 3 stories.

• Haha 2

Your Khorns look really nice. I see the rollers under the speakers. Are they temporary or should they stay there? The bass could be better if the speakers are on the floor without the wheels after final positioning..

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Nice seeing the speakers were the first thing in the house.

My first wife and I moved quite a number of times, both before and after having kids. The audio gear was always the first thing set up in the new apartment or house. That way we could always have music as we unpacked in the new digs.

She was also at the new place directing movers ( be they friends or paid) where to place all the heavy stuff. Usually, most everything was set up at the end of the day.That did get more difficult by the time we had three kids in tow.

• Like 1

IMG_20240320_222043290.thumb.jpg.c151be0975841149d92f1081ef545dad.jpgFinally all connected!

Getting the amp and preamp was touch and go.  Even though both boxes were shipped together, they arrived at different times.

Preamps were not delivered because my place was seen as vacant.  Well, yeah.  I was moving in the next day.  Tracking said returned to sender.  Yikes!!!  Fortunately, I was able to intercept the box at the post office.

And the amp...  Was out for delivery today, and all of a sudden, tracking said, "No such address.  Return to sender." I was able to intercept it, too.  It was addressed properly, but whatever.  Just glad I got it all in good condition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

IMG_20240320_222043290.thumb.jpg.c151be0975841149d92f1081ef545dad.jpgFinally all connected!

Getting the amp and preamp was touch and go.  Even though both boxes were shipped together, they arrived at different times.

Preamps were not delivered because my place was seen as vacant.  Well, yeah.  I was moving in the next day.  Tracking said returned to sender.  Yikes!!!  Fortunately, I was able to intercept the box at the post office.

And the amp...  Was out for delivery today, and all of a sudden, tracking said, "No such address.  Return to sender." I was able to intercept it, too.  It was addressed properly, but whatever.  Just glad I got it all in good condition.

That room will need some serious attention.

Reminds me of about 25 years ago. I broke up with my girlfriend and moved into a new house. It had a large 26 X 16 room with suspended  hardwood floors. All I had was a loveseat and my equipment and rack. Looked very similar to your room. The first time I fired the system up I cringed at the sound. I knew I had work to do.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Recap or no?  Are these old? 

If they sound okay, I would not, yet. There is at least one member here who still uses those types of caps in his 1963(8?) Khorns. He said that they measure in spec and sound fine.

Can you post pictures or state what the drivers are? From that info, you might be able to swap out the whole networks so you can AB them and maybe hear if they need recapped. (wish you were close, I have a few networks you could try)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

That room will need some serious attention.

Reminds me of about 25 years ago. I broke up with my girlfriend and moved into a new house. It had a large 26 X 16 room with suspended  hardwood floors. All I had was a loveseat and my equipment and rack. Looked very similar to your room. The first time I fired the system up I cringed at the sound. I knew I had work to do.

If I was in that situation not having anyone telling me i can't, I would definitely add sound panels where they are needed right way. 

• Like 1