Age of Belle Klipsch?

peterbwreal

1986 I think. Others here can verify. Congratulations on your Belles. I assume they were in pretty good condition. I feel the Belle is PWK's most aesthetically pleasing design, with the Klipschorn a close second. Just my opinion. Please post some pics when you get a chance, and also let us know how you like the sound. Congrats again on getting "Fully Loaded".

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5000. This is a 5 megapixel camera (the photos are shot on "normal" resolution), but more importantly, the lens is the equivalent of a 28-85 in 35mmm. There is an accessory lens Nikon one which makes it a 19mm equivalent, though I rarely use it. You're right, the speakers are exceptional. There was a water stain on the right speaker, but I used some advice from this forum and took 0000 steel wool and linseed oil to it which took the stains right out! You'll also appreciate this: No sooner did I have an evening in Klipsch heaven, than this morning I awoke to having but one channel on my pre amp. Took it in to be fixed, but suffered from not being able to listen to my new Belles. Soooooo, I hooked the outputs on my Bose Wave Radio up to my Hafler DH500 power amp, and guess what? MUSIC!

Peter

post-11579-13819246520182_thumb.jpg

You must be using that 19mm lens in that 2nd shot. The piano looks much smaller than in the first shot. Or, is it that the imaging of the Belles is so good, I'm "imagining" the piano in the room, without even hearing it? HELP!!

fini

Both shots were taken at the 28mm setting. The piano became so intimidated by the Belles that it just sort of shriveled up and cowered on the shelf. The sound was wonderful the one night I got to enjoy the Belles before the Hafler pre-amp went out. Using the Bose Wave Radio for a pre-amp naturally doesn't do the speakers justice. I'm hoping the gremlins in the pre-amp are found soon. Meanwhile, the living room is much too small for the speakers, but I don't plan to live there forever, and these are speakers I've wanted most of my mature life. I think the next house will need a much larger living room to do them justice.

Those look like the ones that were on eBay briefly and then pulled. Are you in Oregon? They look just like them. I saw them in the completed auctions section. I love my Belle's mine are Oak Clear (lacquer finish) with cane grills. The sound is awesome mine are a few years older though (1980) but they have the "AA" crossovers and the K-55V's with the soldered terminals. I am sure they will provide you enjoyment for years to come.

Yes, I am in Ashland Oregon, which is 15 miles south of Medford where these speakers were listed. I happened on eBay about an hour later and contacted the owner. One cabinet has a small chip near the bottom which is barely noticeable, and I got the waterstains out with the 0000 steel wool/linseed oil method mentioned above. I washed the cabinets down with mild soapy water and coated them with linseed oil. The cabinets now look almost new. Cleaning out the dust in the back I noted that the crossovers are AB - are these good or bad? Peter

I have a pair of Klipsch Belles also. I currently have one apart and am refinsihing them so that they are light Oak and Cane Colored Grill Cloth. I will post pictures when I'm done.

What you really need for these Belles is a low - under 10 watt per channel tube amp. Then you'll see these babies sing!

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26157&sessionID={

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would look for a SET amp ideally to go with these efficent speakers. I have a pair of 300b Biilies that I built from a kit for around $1K. There are excellent SET amps from Wright also. Here you can choose 2A3 or 300B or even 45.

You don't need any more than 2-8 watts per channel. Read some reviews at Audio Asylum and research this subject for a few weeks. You'll have a good idea of what you should look into after that!1.gif

Gee, they look great and your music room is quite beautiful.

The local used hi-fi shop had a pair of black Belle's with a sticker price of $2000. Maybe someone dickered down the price. They did get sold quickly though.

BTW, what brand / size of piano is that?

Gil

Geez, I didn't realize this thread was still going, so I apologize for not responding soonder. The piano is a Chickering Grand built in 1919 - we're the third owners. Interestingly enough, you'll note that the front legs are doubles. That's because it was originally a "reproducing" piano, which was a fancy player piano. It still has the old wiring and a couple of bellows undernearth. Each key has a small hole underneath, and a puff of wind activated the key. My understanding form the piano tech is that the double legs were put on because of the additional weight of the player mechanism. The quality of the piano is the same as a normal Chickering Grand of the ear - which is excellent. Both sound and action are top quality.