So now that Klipsch is going to Best Buy........

shoe11

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the concern is not so much whether the quality will go down, I think the main concern is that the image is what will suffer. best buy has a reputation as a sub par electronics store which sells to people who don't know what they're getting, and the sales people there are by no means "educated" or "intelligent". I have yet to meet a salesman that knows more about audio than I do, and in my opinion, they should know far more than me. Klipsch will not be properly set up in best buy stores, and if you think they will be, you really need to go look around at a few best buy's. all they are are teenagers who could care less if some 40 year old guy buys a pair of speakers as long as they get their hourly wage.

i agree that salespeople should know more about the product that they are selling than the customers....

alot of members on this forum know more than your typical salesperson...it is too bad that audio/video salespeople are not paid more.... you get what you pay for....the 18 yr old kids at best buy usually don't have a clue...circuit city just got rid of their commissioned sales force so they could hire 18 yr old kids just like best buy....

(no offense intended to any young members of this forum)

personally, i know my product better than my customers...i am very professional...and i make a decent living doing it....

russ

Just a quick review....

680 views, 42 posts and no one has yet said they bought a pair of home audio speakers from Best Buy.

Mr. Jacobs, no one doubts that market changes necessitate continual evolution of a company's business, but at least with respect to the dropping of the Tweeter retail relationship and the recent release of 14 Reference models which best could be as described as hi end Synergy/ very low end Reference (an 8 inch sub?), for many of us there is a strong perception of Klipsch's lack of continued interest in the high end audio consumer. This does not even begin to mention the almost complete lack of Heritage availability both in store and available via special order. As audiophiles and Klipsch enthusiasts, these issues are very concerning and quite frankly Klipsch hasn't addressed them.

Additionally a word to the wise...

While the Pro Media line is a great sounding multimedia system, given the 5.1's terrible reliability record, I would hardly suggest basing your expectations for future Synergy sales on the sales experience that many of your customers have had with the Pro Media line. And don't try to say that the problems are a small sample. We have a guy on this forum who's made a 2nd career as an automated response system for your company in replying to people who's Pro Medias have stopped working. I myself bought a 5.1 system believing these problems were a small percentage, but in under a year I'm already on my 2nd set. Beyond my personal experience, there are numerous posts on this forum wherein many people are already on their 3rd and 4th sets....and they are still failing. I guess from a business perspective though so long as the customer buys a set who cares how many times they fail. You've already got our money. Tread lightly with your confidence of the Pro Media line. It's easy to do. Many of your customers feel that way every time they turn their 5.1's on.

Challenge still stands. Somebody step up and show Klipsch at least one person who's bought home audio speakers from Best Buy.

~shoe

Does anyone remember the old star trek episode where Professor Daystrom instals a computer called M1 on the Enterprise ?

The M1 computers prime function was to survive !

Hate to spoil the party, sports fans, but Klipsch must survive too !

I think its a good move for them, because god knows here in Florida, Sound Advice was bad mouthing them, whoring them out , 2 fer 1, etc.

And ***NOLIA, I mean Magnolia, in Seattle wasnt any better !

Tweeter, the rip offs who purchased Sound Advice, ripped off B$W, so they freakin pulled the line from them, ha ha !

I think Best Buy will be just fine for Klipsch and for potential new customers.

Lets face it guys, someones gotta pay the bills, and it aint us!

We dont buy anything made lately anyway, so who are we to dictate Klipsch's strategy to survive.

Get freakin real !

We prowl Ebay and Audiogon, looking for oil filled caps and PWK signatures, how long has it been since ANY of us have bought anything NEW from Klipsch ?

EXACTLY !

So, to PWK's kid, I say do what you gotta do to make sure you survive, but still continue to have a high end product as well.

Hire more good engineers, invest in Laser Interferometry, Anechoic chambers, etc.

Now that EV is gone, find and hire their best engineers.

Perhaps make Dr, Bruce Edgar a consultant ?

Launch a campaign to sell the Horn to a new generation of Audiophiles, just as PWK did in his day.

Educate the new generation about the laws of Physics, and proudly wear Bull S *** buttons around CES.

Rent a huge room like Wisdom audio did, and let em hear a full blown Jubilee in all its glory.

Go after the Asian and world wide market for state of the art Horn speakers, and dont give up nothing to any country.

Return America to its position of greatness for horn compression drivers.

Live and die by the Horn, obey the laws of Physics, just as PWK did.

I met PWK when I was 16 at the Detroit Audio Show, in 1970.

I remember his big Bull S*** button, and the time he spent with me showing his stuff.

I was just a bored city kid, and he made an audiophile out of me.

Klipsch must reach out to the next generation , just as PWK reached out to me, with kindness and through education.

Klipsch must survive !!

I support the move.

I think the question of "who here has bought a pair of home audio speakers from Best Buy?" not having any yes answers yet tends to support one of our points. Our forum is generally visited and supported by the truly passionate audio lovers. We love to debate solid state vs. tubes, speaker wire, horns vs. direct radiators, Klipsch vs. SVS, Reference vs. Legend vs. Heritage,and even an occassional political or other topic (like this one, for example!).... all those things that are a distinct and important part of our lives...our passions. This is a fantastic arena for debate and a source for a wealth of information for its many visitors. Many of you have probably noticed that moderators such as myself and BobG have not been here answering specific product, placement, etc. questions nearly as much as we used to. We have many here who can (and also love to) answer those questions very well themselves! With the wealth of knowledge most here have, coupled with their desire to make sure everyone has the best possible audio system set up in the best possible manner, we know those questions will be fully answered. Most of us here are all truly "fanatics"... and, at this point in our "audio influenced" lives we all try to buy our audio gear from, and many times even socialize with, people who have a similiar passion as we do. We are very, very "stepped-up".

There are, of course, many others out there whose interest in audio is there, but not to the passionate degree of ours. Occassionally, a few of those people find their way here and everyone is more than welcome to answer any of their questions, along with passionately trying to make them members of our world. These people want to experience some of the emotion we experience from audio, but not necessarily at the level we do...at least not yet. I think most of us started enjoying audio this way. There have been several threads here over the years asking things like "What was your first audio system?" that produced some funny (to us now) stories of what we had and where it might have been bought.

As stated by our COO in this thread and others, our ProMedia products at Best Buy have introduced many, many people to their first step-up audio experience, and many of those people have developed an interest in home audio from there. It may have been their first exposure to "audio". This stepping-up may never had occured without this initial exposure at a retailer whose environment they feel comfortable with. As enthusiasts today, our first exposure to the emotion of audio may have come from our father who was a "HiFi" enthusiast when we were kids (like what happened to me)or a friend who was an enthusiast or audio salesperson, or even a college frat party when we first heard LaScala's in the 60's and 70's. Interests and lifestyle choices are more numerous today. For example, many of the "enthusiast" fathers of the last ten or twenty years have exposed their children to one of the many more choices of interests there have been during that period, like computers, or the highly increased exposure to a myriad of different sports. As stated, times have changed just like they have done before....

PhilH

"So, to PWK's kid, I say do what you gotta do to make sure you survive, but still continue to have a high end product as well."

I feel compelled to point out that Fred Klipsch is NOT PWK's son. He is a distant relative that never knew PWK for most of his life.

DD

Edit: Corrected Paul to Fred. Sorry.

I would have to state that while jbl does make some good products, as with many companies in this buisness the "signature" products are often just pr to maintain the status and aura of hi-fi but has little to do with the meat and potatoes of the brand,,,,,,many people have commented about what mr. lansing's company has become.......certainly large.....

I just feel that whenever people have a difficult time getting a quality comparative demo it becomes price, not quality, that rules the mass merchants.....

----------------

On 2/28/2003 11:15:43 AM dougdrake wrote:

"So, to PWK's kid, I say do what you gotta do to make sure you survive, but still continue to have a high end product as well."

I feel compelled to point out that Paul Klipsch is NOT PWK's son. He is a distant relative that never knew PWK for most of his life.

DD

----------------

I learned something new !

Thank You for letting me know.

I am surprised that no has dealt with the premise of my signature line....In the abscensce of a comparative demo people will almost always choose the cheaper model, how can this do anything but hurt the ref/heritage dealers?....exposure? ,come-come now, anyone who cares to find something better than what bb or cc has to offer will find a better dealer and those who don't care , don't care....

----------------

On 2/27/2003 5:50:38 PM T.Paul Jacobs wrote:

Klipsch takes its leadership role as the number one supplier of high-performance loudspeakers seriously. The sale of audio separates has been declining at 15-20% per year for the last three years. The primary reasons are that times have changed, people have changed and consumer desires have changed. Most specialty manufacturers have remained focused on limited distribution, with little regard to the environment in which many consumers want to buy products. We feel an obligation to try and bring the experience of better audio to a larger audience. As a market leader, we refuse to sit by idly as the market continues to shrink.

Klipsch firmly believes our state-of-the-art, high-performance products must always be represented by our highly trained and knowledgeable specialty retailers. We also believe that many consumers in many markets have never had the specialty retail experience, nor are they familiar with what it is. For 2-1/2 years, we have successfully executed our Klipsch ProMedia strategy through Best Buy—connecting with an entirely new customer, giving them their first step-up audio experience with a true high-end audio company in the multimedia space, and educating them on the advantages of our high-performance home loudspeakers, only available through our specialty retail partners.

As many specialty retailers migrate toward custom installation, Best Buy is filling the lower mid-fi void in an environment where many highly educated, high-end consumers want to buy. Best Buy will do a great job representing our Synergy Series, enlightening significantly more people to the experience of high performance audio. The natural evolution will be converting many of our best Synergy customers to the ultimate in high-performance loudspeakers—the Reference Series.

Paul Klipsch brought the Heresy (non-fully horn-loaded speakers) to market because times had changed, people had changed and consumer desires had changed. He too wanted to reach out and expose more people to the passion of high performance audio.

With regard to the new Reference speakers, Klipsch’s top 25 retailers have been in Indianapolis over the last 3 weeks and their unanimous opinion is they are the best sounding line of speakers Klipsch has ever produced. You don’t have to take my word for it, but I encourage you to audition the products when they hit the stores in May. I’ve been with Klipsch for over 11 years and I think these new Reference products are the finest products we’ve ever taken to market.

----------------

If the Reference series is the ultimate in high performance where do the Heritage series

fit in? If the Reference series is the finest products you have taken to market does that mean that the Heritage series is going to be discontinued? If so I need to decide if I should order some now or wait and change to a different brand of speaker.

If the Reference series is the ultimate in high performance where do the Heritage series

fit in? If the Reference series is the finest products you have taken to market does that mean that the Heritage series is going to be discontinued? If so I need to decide if I should order some now or wait and change to a different brand of speaker.

++++++++++++++++++++++++end quote++++++

get 'em if you can, while you can........

As has been stated elsewhere in the Forum, the Heritage products continue on. Period. Just as everyone here realizes the differences between opinions and facts when it comes to subjects such as speaker wire or what is the best receiver to use for a given system, please realize the differences here. RefSeller is very passionate about his opinions, just like we all are about ours. But that is all they are...opinions. As much as he appears knowledgable about the situation, he has no more knowledge than most of you. He is passionate about what he does, which appears to be an anonymous audio video salesperson somewhere. If he chooses to bad mouth us, that is his right, but the bad mouthing is based on his or her opinions, and most of his attacks are not fact-based. Klipsch has repeatedly offered explanations for our major distribution changes and we stand behind them as do 100% of our Dealer/Partners Management Teams. If, in fact, RefSeller is continuing as an employee of a Klipsch Dealer, his views are not in line with the rest of his company. RefSeller, we are not trying to attack you personally but, again, your opinions are not based on the facts and we do not want anyone here to get the impression that they are.

PhilH and JoshuaRyanHall