Picture of Completed Belle with Cane Cloth *************************

Cut-Throat

I have finally completed the refinishing job on one of my Belles. Basically I tured a dark

Oak

Belle with Black Grill Cloth into a Light Oak Belle with Cane Colored Grill Cloth.

I had to sand the entire finish off. I also re-wired the speaker with 16 gauge OFC Copper.

What the hell - Still sounds the same though! I put on 3 coats of Satin Poly for better

protection. (normally I would not finish a speaker with Poly, but these are so large that I

felt they needed some added protection.) I really prefer the texture of an Oil Finish much

better.

Special thanks to HDBR Builder and Chris Robinson for advice on Finishing and Grill Cloth!

Thanks Guys!

Now I have to muster the strength to finish the next one! Should I put the Klipsch emblem on

or leave it off? - Whadda think?

Nice, but it does not look a whole lot lighter (shade wise) than the other one. Did you get that grill cloth from Wendell fabrics? It does not look like or very similar to the original Klipsch cane grill cloth. I want to buy some of the cane grill cloth they have to redo my center La Scala but I would need to buy 2 yards minimum which is much more than I need for the small patch on the La Scala. Very nice work though! 1.gif

[Nice, but it does not look a whole lot lighter (shade wise) than the other one.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is a lot lighter! - Here is another picture that may show it better. I would not want it any lighter than this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you get that grill cloth from Wendell fabrics?

Yes

___________________________________________________________-__

It does not look like or very similar to the original Klipsch cane grill cloth.

I prefer this over the cane - The cane is very unruly stuff - Also has a red thread woven into it.

I want to buy some of the cane grill cloth they have to redo my center La Scala but I would need to buy 2 yards minimum which is much more than I need for the small patch on the La Scala.

From what I understand the Original Cane Cloth is no longer available.

post-10531-13819246556496_thumb.jpg

Really nice work Kevin.

Wanna refinish my khorns? :)

Thanks Randy,

I certainly would be willing to help if want to undertake this project. (and living without the Khorns for a month or so). It's not difficult - Just patience and elbow grease.

- It's a bit messy and time consuming, but if you are willing to do the grunt work, I will give you all the consulting advice that you need. Mostly a lot of sanding (an oribital sander is a real help here). 3.gif

Kevin, yes the angle made a big difference it is significantly lighter than the other one. It did not appear so with the frontal shot. I got the samples from Wendell Fabrics and the cane grill fabric that I saw was virtually identical to the fabric Klipsch used. I don't recall any red in it, the direction of the smaller strips of cane was slightly different from the original but other than that it was virtually identical. I can see were it would be difficult to work with and get even, so I can understand your fabric choice. Definately add the Klipsch logo though the brass badge would look nice with the lighter shade of Oak. You do very nice work!

paulparrot,

Well, I just attached my Klipsch Emblem to the front of my Belle. I'll tell you how I did it.

When I took it off the Black Grill Cloth, I noticed that it had been glued on. I first used very coarse sandpaper and removed all of the glue from the back of the Faceplate. This also scratched the back and will give the new glue a good grip. I then mixed up a little 5 minute 2 part epoxy (this stuff will fix anything but a broken heart!) .

I laid the Belle on it's Back so that the front was now facing the ceiling. I applied a very thin layer of epoxy to the back of the faceplete and placed it squarely in the center of the grill cloth near the bottom as before. I then placed a 1 x 4 on top of the plate to weight it down and stacked a pile of books on top of the plate and let it sit for a half hour.

Looking Good!!!16.gif