CONSUMER REPORTS RANK BOSE AS #1 SPEAKERS

DEAM

See....here's a another prime example of what's *really* troubling this kid.

He accuses people on this board of being "gay guys" while his avatar shows a naked man with a rather pronounced penis.

I think our friend is really trying to tell us something.

I think he's really trying to BREAK OUT and admit to the world his sexual preference.

Unfortuntately, I don't think THIS board is the proper place for that...

Deam,

If you want to raise a ruckus, flame us or merely be a chaotic influence on this forum, we'll deal with it. On the other hand, if you wish to be wholly inappropriate (your avatar for example) we cannot sit idly by. We have removed your avatar and retained your posts.

Please respect the people on this bulletin board. If not, we will respond to the needs of this community.

BobG

Mike, that was too much...it's still funny 3 days later!9.gif

DEAM's a putz, but his topic is sound...are Bose rated #1 by Consumer Report? Either Dr. Omar is doing something right, or there are a lot of tin-eared consumers out there, or just maybe Bose really are good sounding loudspeakers! One of my brothers swears by his 20 year old 301s (although they're now confined to surround duty in his HT; Polk Audio towers just took over their place as mains).

I broke down and belittled myself a couple of days ago by auditioning Bose 901's at the local Bose store. I must admit that they had the "sound signature" of Khorns with a powerful, deep, fast, and undistorted bass. However, after a while I realize something was missing: detail above 100Hz. There was vertually no detail in the classical music CD's. I also found out from the salesman that 901's can not be used in HT surround sound because of the electronic equalizer that the 901 must use. What a pitty! I thought that those speakers could find a potential nitch at HT. I told the salesman that the Bose speakers, although not audiophile material, would satisfy about 90% of the population. He agreed and said that's why Bose stores are popping up all over the nation. I didn't have the nerve to tell him that their HT surround system demonstration was the worst that I have ever heard.

Yep - just a/b compare the Bose to most anything in the same price range and (especially if you are a horn fan) you should walk away wondering what these guys are selling. The 'enveloping' sound they provide is only valuable if you choose to listen only to Bose.

Kudos to their great marketing, otherwise I suggest spending your money more wisely...

I am not a Bose fan but they have there place.

1. Spouse refuses to have large boxy speakers anywhere in sight.

2. Apartment living especially if you move every 2 years

3. people can have surround sound without impacting the decor

4. People are just not into audio nor do they wish to spend thousands on audio equipment

Personally I will be looking at bose, boston acoustics, or cambridge sound for a SMALL set up for my sons room. Sure the set up won't compare to the klispch but it will work.

Hi my name is scott and I might buy a bose system, plez help....3.gif

scott

Scott,

I agree with you,and for your reasons.I bought my girlfriend a Bose Acoustic Wave System for Christmas.She wanted music on her nightstand.No source I have heard provides as much listenable sound from a portable player.When the cones rotted in my old 901's,I got a new pair from Bose with a new equalizer for $300 & my old speakers.My mom uses them now.They do not compare favorably with my Klipsch speakers-Nor should they.Bose has a strong niche.The magazine you cite is noted for rating high-end gear as superfluous.

I am guilty of supporting Bose. I too have the Bose wave radio in our living room. why

1. spouce did not want to have a big boxy system anywhere in sight

2. did not want to impact the decor

3. didn't want to spend thousands.

The Bose fills the room with music that is warm and soft. Is it worth paying $500. Unfortuantely I have to say yes. 3 family members on my side and 4 on hers agree as well.

Like I said in my previous post Bose has it place, just left of the fireplace on the same shelf as some of the family pictures.

Scott

What issue, month and year was this review done? You also have to understand the rationale behind CU's review of audio gear> good vaaalue for average performance, with higher fidelity and finer finishes a waste of money for the "average consumer".